Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
it would depend on whether the hardware array was placed in the headlight - there a much greater number of LEDs in the lighting to be able to enable this.

If the formfactor of the updated lighting is the same as was available in the EU with the feature, I'm guessing that they would enable (likely for a fee) like they do with some of the other features like range management etc.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
it would depend on whether the hardware array was placed in the headlight - there a much greater number of LEDs in the lighting to be able to enable this.

If the formfactor of the updated lighting is the same as was available in the EU with the feature, I'm guessing that they would enable (likely for a fee) like they do with some of the other features like range management etc.
The full array was (and still is :)), in my 2015 M4 so if you ordered the full lights upgrade on a 2021/2022 Porsche I would be honestly amazed if they were not already primed to go. I was able to have my fully adaptive lighting enabled using a BMW code expert who happened to be based here in Houston on the M4 and worked perfectly.

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have my fingers crossed this can be enabled via software update too.

But fwiw, I asked this direct question to someone in new product development at Porsche at a Taycan promotional event. He thought it was unlikely that the adaptive headlight features could be enabled via software upgrade. One thing he pointed out was that the US matrix headlights have a different part number than the Euro matrix headlights. Hopefully there are other reasons for that though.

On a similar note, my wife just got an etron with the full matrix lights (like the video in the article above) and it projects some pretty incredible designs on the ground when you turn the vehicle on and off. Makes me feel slightly better about getting a vehicle with a $3k option that is otherwise pretty useless.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have my fingers crossed this can be enabled via software update too.

But fwiw, I asked this direct question to someone in new product development at Porsche at a Taycan promotional event. He thought it was unlikely that the adaptive headlight features could be enabled via software upgrade. One thing he pointed out was that the US matrix headlights have a different part number than the Euro matrix headlights. Hopefully there are other reasons for that though.

On a similar note, my wife just got an etron with the full matrix lights (like the video in the article above) and it projects some pretty incredible designs on the ground when you turn the vehicle on and off. Makes me feel slightly better about getting a vehicle with a $3k option that is otherwise pretty useless.
Indeed it may be a Porsche specific issue as I recall in a separate thread that there seems to be a much higher level of security access to 3rd party (legal or otherwise) coding of Porsche vehicles relative to say my BMW and perhaps you Audi. Speaking from ignorance here as this will be my first Porsche but would def like the option to recode the lights if that is all it takes :)
Sponsored