Adding power charge port sensor to non-power door?

FLT6LVR

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 911S
Country flag
Or things like the throttle, braking, traction and stability control systems? :CWL: You’re fine with all of them being electronically controlled, but you draw that line at the power door….

Do you secretly wish for hand crank windows?
Hand crank windows will only be available as part of the Weissach package on the GTaycan. Otherwise I would definitely go for them. Maybe a hand crank charger wouldn’t be so bad either ..
:)
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Let me throw in yet a different view then. When closed, I prefer the clean look of the manual port. When open, powered port looks better. I prefer the size of the powered port. I prefer to have the air-scarf vent functional (powered port blocks it completely, turning it into a fake decoration vent only). Bottom line, I did not option it.
LOL. 🙃

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Crazy world, eh?

With the number of Porsche options out there, I'd be really curious how many identical Taycans were ever built, maybe a distribution graph, for each configuration which repeated itself more than once, how many cars were built. Just purely mathematically, there are definitely more option combinations possible than there were Taycans build, ever, so it may actually be possible that every Taycan build is a unicorn, i.e. there isn't one like it anywhere in the world.

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
You think the power door costs you 50 miles of range? :CWL:
Interestingly, when we were looking to order new, before I learned of the abysmall depretation and pivoted to CPO, the saleman going over the configuration with me warned me that the electric charge door cut down on total range by 10-15 miles due to the same reasons F6L cited.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Interestingly, when we were looking to order new, before I learned of the abysmall depretation and pivoted to CPO, the saleman going over the configuration with me warned me that the electric charge door cut down on total range by 10-15 miles due to the same reasons F6L cited.
I’d like to see some proof of this. No doubt there’s an aero benefit but videos I’ve seen have said it’s very minimal.
Anyway, the powered charge port is trick and convenient and worth a few miles imo

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
That is like saying a spoiler on a 911 costs you a few mpg. Its a Porsche! Not buying for range.:)

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Lol
That is like saying a spoiler on a 911 costs you a few mpg. Its a Porsche! Not buying for range.:)
It didn’t discourage me from adding it.
My CPO lacks it, not by my choice.
If it was a simple retrofit, I’d add it.

I was just confirming the information that it can affect range.

Scuba1230

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718S BMW X5 45e BMW 530D
Country flag
If manually opened, then the car is limited to AC charging only. No DC charging available until it visits the dealer. I ticked this option as it gave me the gloss black fins and it covered up the side vent( helping the car to remain clean). While waiting at a DC only charger for the tow truck, I regretted my choice of esthetics over function. If only there was an after market solution to add the fins and properly block the side vent I would definitely go for that.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If manually opened, then the car is limited to AC charging only. No DC charging available until it visits the dealer.
So what you're saying is that your manual charge port broke? Do you think the electric one breaks less?

If only there was an after market solution to add the fins and properly block the side vent I would definitely go for that.
IIRC Porsche sells a vent cover/blocker if you want for those who want to block it with manual ports. You can also buy the fins and stick them on unconnected if you want it just for looks.

Scuba1230

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718S BMW X5 45e BMW 530D
Country flag
So what you're saying is that your manual charge port broke? Do you think the electric one breaks less?

I am referring to the electric ports that I have. If they fail to open it is possible to manually release the port but you are restricted to AC charging only. The option of DC charging is only restored when repaired at Porsche

IIRC Porsche sells a vent cover/blocker if you want for those who want to block it with manual ports. You can also buy the fins and stick them on unconnected if you want it just for looks.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am referring to the electric ports that I have. If they fail to open it is possible to manually release the port but you are restricted to AC charging only. The option of DC charging is only restored when repaired at Porsche
Both manual and electric ports can break and result in the behavior you describe. Powered ports actually have a higher possibility of breaking as they have more moving parts, electrical motor, etc.

Scuba1230

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718S BMW X5 45e BMW 530D
Country flag
Both manual and electric ports can break and result in the behavior you describe. Powered ports actually have a higher possibility of breaking as they have more moving parts, electrical motor, etc.
After performing an emergency release of the Manual charging port, the car can be charged using AC or DC.
After performing an emergency release of the Electric charging ports it can only be charged using AC until it is checked out at Porsche.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After performing an emergency release of the Manual charging port, the car can be charged using AC or DC.
After performing an emergency release of the Electric charging ports it can only be charged using AC until it is checked out at Porsche.
Does the emergency release with powered port only allow you to open the AC only port, or just disables DC charging even if you manage to open the DC enabled port?

Scuba1230

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718S BMW X5 45e BMW 530D
Country flag
Does the emergency release with powered port only allow you to open the AC only port, or just disables DC charging even if you manage to open the DC enabled port?
Once an emergency release is performed on either electric port, the car cannot be charged using DC. To restore DC charging it must be checked by Porsche. Not ideal if you are trying to get home late.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Once an emergency release is performed on either electric port, the car cannot be charged using DC. To restore DC charging it must be checked by Porsche. Not ideal if you are trying to get home late.
Wow, that I did not know. Interesting. I don't have the electric ports, but it seems the new Taycan has no manual port option anymore.
Sponsored