NewPdude

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M440i
Country flag
While at a friends birthday party in Tiburon CA I decided to stop in at the Porsche Marin dealership to check out the Taycan’s on the lot. There were five of them. One was a chalk 4S that had an MSRP of 131K. The dealership wanted 165K. The Taycan Turbo S CT on the lot was 223K and you had to be a resident of CA and purchase (in addition to the car) a 10K Porsche electric bike AND a 6K Porsche design watch…!?!?! Is anyone else seeing this much BS out there? BTW the sales guy said all dealers were doing similar things…
Sponsored

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Maybe all of the dealers in CA, but while my dealer is adding markups now they are pretty tame compared to what you are describing.

I got my car, delivered 7 May, at MSRP. The only additional things were the window tint, which they marked up a couple of hundred from the local installer, theft protection ($300 for about $25 dollars worth of stickers) and Nitrofill + tire/tow/etc. insurance. The Nitrofill is, IMHO, completely worthless, and the insurance is as well. Especially since I have Porsche Ultimate Tire and wheel insurance for 6 years. But, all things considered, those were pretty tame additions.

The Nitrofill scam seems to be very widespread with the dealers in Arizona and, as I found out, in Arizona you can't cancel.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Last I talked to my dealer, they were doing MSRP for local sales and markup for non-local. That was a few months ago. But I’m in the Midwest, not CA.

I’m not sure living here is worth MSRP. 🤣

Folsom458

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Porsche Cayenne, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
When I went in to pick up my Taycan 4S 3 weeks ago (markup was 10% in northern CA), there was a new GT3 on the floor...with a 100k markup! I asked my sales manager about it, and she said "yeah, it's a lot, but people are paying it". I was shocked.

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
While at a friends birthday party in Tiburon CA I decided to stop in at the Porsche Marin dealership to check out the Taycan’s on the lot. There were five of them. One was a chalk 4S that had an MSRP of 131K. The dealership wanted 165K. The Taycan Turbo S CT on the lot was 223K and you had to be a resident of CA and purchase (in addition to the car) a 10K Porsche electric bike AND a 6K Porsche design watch…!?!?! Is anyone else seeing this much BS out there? BTW the sales guy said all dealers were doing similar things…
Just saying... If you respond to that with anything else but GFY - you are nuts.

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Similar ADMs at Porsche Redwood City. $20K for a 4CT and $35K for a GTS sedan.

Unfortunately current market allows them to do that. At this point I'm just hoping the supply chain would get (drastically) better soon.

997gt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GT3
Country flag
Marin is a sleaze bag these days.

smyers528

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3S, Porsche Cayman R, Taycan CT4
Country flag
Marin used to be my dealer for years, they were bought out and new management are scum.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's so rampant right now that even Porsche North America is promoting AMDs in their "find a car" option in their configurator.

Let that sink in a minute. Porsche, not the dealer, is promoting a $100K AMD in a 'point to' option within the configurator. Their policy has been to not allow advertising from the dealership with an ADM attachment...or at least it was.

Porsche Taycan Additional dealer markups…?? Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 7.42.34 AM

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
Porsche Grapevine has a GT3 Touring with PDK for $379,900 in their showroom. I'm in favor of free markets but it is a signal to the customer about the priorities of the dealership. There are some dealer groups, like Sewell here in TX, that are not marking up beyond MSRP because they think it is smarter in the long run to have the good will of a customer vs. doing a money grab. It's a question of priorities and philosophy. Market dislocations like this generally don't last as long as people's memories.

Skilly--I'd be willing to bet that PCNA is not promoting the ADM but rather that their system did not pick up the fact that it is marked up.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Meh. Don't want it don't buy it. Free market.

If you don' wanna pay fifty cents for no Coke, then, he he, you don't get no Coke, know what I'm sayin'...

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
California retail grocery and other stores generally must charge the posted price (or declare the posted price a mistake). I've often wondered why MSRP prices posted on new car windows aren't similarly protected. At what point do dealers need to ID the fact that there is a dealer markup? In the showroom? That's a little late IMO.

Porsche Taycan Additional dealer markups…?? 1653325779189

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Those markups are unreal. Here's my story. It's a good thing we have two dealers in the Phoenix (Arizona USA) area …

In January 2022 (before Russia's invasion and Felicity Ace), I was all set to work Porsche North Scottsdale. But just as I was about to confirm, their SA (Sales Associate) told me that his management decided to add a $20,000 surcharge. To which I said, "let me think about it and get back to you."

I called Porsche Chandler and spoke with their SA, who said Porsche Chandler had no surcharge, a lower sales tax rate than Scottsdale, and an available allocation for a May 5 delivery. (He was also stunned at North Scottsdale's greed.) I gave him my code, he looked it over and had one suggestion, and I put down a deposit in late January.

I called North Scottsdale back and said sorry I took my business to a surcharge-free Porsche Chandler, which is only five miles further from my home than Porsche North Scottsdale anyway. The SA wasn't happy, but he understood, and then he continued to give me good advice on what to do next and what to watch out for.

My RWD just arrived at the port in San Diego, and I’ll be driving it soon!

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Skilly--I'd be willing to bet that PCNA is not promoting the ADM but rather that their system did not pick up the fact that it is marked up.
I don't disagree; however, I dont give them a pass. In the system not being smart enough, they are still promoting it - its right from the porsche.com website.

The dealer is playing in a grey area game and activating the warranty...at that point Porsche doesnt have domain anymore - hence the ADM's being advertised. Ferrari is doing the same thing now too! Robbery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NewPdude

NewPdude

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M440i
Country flag
Those markups are unreal. Here's my story. It's a good thing we have two dealers in the Phoenix (Arizona USA) area …

In January 2022 (before Russia's invasion and Felicity Ace), I was all set to work Porsche North Scottsdale. But just as I was about to confirm, their SA (Sales Associate) told me that his management decided to add a $20,000 surcharge. To which I said, "let me think about it and get back to you."

I called Porsche Chandler and spoke with their SA, who said Porsche Chandler had no surcharge, a lower sales tax rate than Scottsdale, and an available allocation for a May 5 delivery. (He was also stunned at North Scottsdale's greed.) I gave him my code, he looked it over and had one suggestion, and I put down a deposit in late January.

I called North Scottsdale back and said sorry I took my business to a surcharge-free Porsche Chandler, which is only five miles further from my home than Porsche North Scottsdale anyway. The SA wasn't happy, but he understood, and then he continued to give me good advice on what to do next and what to watch out for.

My RWD just arrived at the port in San Diego, and I’ll be driving it soon!
Greetings from Tempe! I also went through Porsche Chandler. I have heard nothing about ADM’s from my SA. This thing in CA gave me reason to be concerned… glad to hear they’re not doing this… Were you in the dealership on 1/28/22? I put my deposit down that day and saw another gentleman and his wife test drive the same volcanic grey 4S that we did. My start production date is 6/3 with an 8/5 delivery! Congrats on getting yours so soon!
Sponsored