Advice for considering to buy a lemon/buyback?

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
If you can afford to lose 150k straight away then you can afford a Turbo S new/Used. If you can't then you can't afford a lemon. Whats the win here?
Or if $150k is your budget, you could afford a brand new loaded 4S with no worries about warranty or title problems.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Run fast and far away. I once returned a car under lemon law. The arbitrator at the hearing gave me back everything including purchase price, finance charges and aftermarket accessories even though the car was two years old by the time of the hearing. It should have been scraped after the buyback To my shock the manufacturer resold it in NJ (I lived in CT at the time).

The Taycan you are considering is being sold by a Mitsubishi dealer. There is no chance in hell that you will get all the gremlins sorted out.

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
The Taycan you are considering is being sold by a Mitsubishi dealer. There is no chance in hell that you will get all the gremlins sorted out.
This is the red-flag for me - if it was from a Porsche dealer, I think the other advice in this thread is pretty good, but since it isn't from a Porsche dealer, I would not consider this, especially if it was a lemon buyback.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
This is the red-flag for me - if it was from a Porsche dealer, I think the other advice in this thread is pretty good, but since it isn't from a Porsche dealer, I would not consider this, especially if it was a lemon buyback.
A Porsche franchise dealer wouldn't sell this. Franchise dealers of high end cars won't sell a Lemon so Porsche North America will have independent dealers sell it, wipe their hands of the liability.

It wasn't sold at auction, I called Manheim and gave then the VIN. They did say the dealer was trying to sell it to other dealers through the Manheim site.

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Two words: Branded Title. Later on, a dealer will kill you on trade value; personal sale…who would do that?

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You'll want to check out what insurance will be like for a car with a branded title.

I can't see spending >$100k on a car with a branded title, unless you were planning on completely modding it anyway.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Keep in mind that when you try to sell the car the Lemon will still show up in its title and thus you will be lowballed. So whatever money you save now (discount) be prepared to also lose when you sell it.

I don't think it even makes financial sense if you think of the long run.

Having said that, the list of problems mentioned in your first post, are not unheard for Taycans as you can see in many threads of this forum. Some might be already addressed with the latest software updates (after the car was lemoned) but even if you buy a brand new you might experience a few of these.

Last edited:

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Or if $150k is your budget, you could afford a brand new loaded 4S with no worries about warranty or title problems.
That what I thought - from the title I assumed OP was looking at a deeply discounted RWD as a risky bargain to get into a Taycan. For $150k there are lots of options that are far less likely to spend a good fraction of their life in the shop.
Sponsored