Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi, I am looking for your experiences with trip planning and charging stops.

The car can plan a trip directly on the PCM and in the manual it states that it will find charging stations and include these. It will also then precondition the battery for fastest possible charging. Not perhaps needed so much just now in the summer time as the battery seems to get to about 35degrees `Celsius by just driving, but for the winter time.

Ionity’s network here in Europe has now got some useful coverage for me, with France, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, UK, Sweden, Netherlands, Norway well covered where I travel. They have more than 260 stations in use plus 45 or so under construction with a target of 400 by year end I think. I am very pleased to see the positive roll out. Next of course is to make sure they all work as described and are well maintained? The main coverage works well going North to South say from Nice to Stockholm or Oslo. Less good to go from Monaco to Biarritz on the French west coast! There are of course a lot of other chargers as well but not as powerful and rapid for long trips. ABRP works fantastic to plan all of the stops and it finds all of Ionity chargers without any problems.

Now to my issue. When I plan a trip going from Nice to Zurich in Switzerland, the Porsche Charging Planner in the car, does NOT find the Ionity chargers on the way. Two of the stops that are planned are for 50 kW and even a bit off the chosen route?? The charging takes much more time so the travel time is also a lot longer.

I can manually over ride the charging stop and send the Ionity charger coordinates to the car with the connect app, which finds the charger. If I then put that destination into the Navigation as Ionity etc, it seems the car does not recognise this as a high power charger and does not pre condition my battery! I have tried several ways to direct the planner to the charging stations and restarted and replanned, but no luck.

Can I change any settings or start pre conditioning separately. Has anybody found a way to do this? If I remeber correctly @louv mentioned something similar on his trip. What are your experiences and any work around?

I am so happy to see the Ionity roll out that suits my trips, and confused why the Connect app lists and finds the charging stations but the car PCM does not?
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The good news is that both Ionity and Electrify America continue to open new locations. As you discovered the Porsche Charging Planner does not keep up with the new locations in real time. I had to do the same thing that you are planning to do. If the stops that the Porsche Charging Planner picked were chargers that were either below 150kW or a bit off my route, I used the other third party apps to locate chargers that were at least 150kW and manually entered them into the Navigation system. As far as preconditioning, I enabled the precool/heat button on the lower touch panel enroute to the manually entered locations. Depending on the state of charge (low), sometimes you cannot precondition. As you pointed out I wouldn't worry about preconditioning in the summer time. After your first DC fast charging stop, the battery temp will rise and it will remain at a fairly warm/hot temperature for quite some time.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
... As far as preconditioning, I enabled the precool/heat button on the lower touch panel enroute to the manually entered locations. Depending on the state of charge (low), sometimes you cannot precondition. ...
A minor point: That Precool/Heat button ONLY affects the passenger cabin. Not the battery pack.
It’s an oversight (in my opinion) that there is no way to preheat the battery pack manually.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Thanks @louv and @wemct for your comments. Maybe pre conditioning will be something like a feature request for the future? Feels very much like an oversight with the high power charger roll out.

I also hope the PCM will get an update to the newly opened charging stations ASAP. The status updates for different chargers are improving online all the time now I feel.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Thanks @louv and @wemct for your comments. Maybe pre conditioning will be something like a feature request for the future? Feels very much like an oversight with the high power charger roll out.

I also hope the PCM will get an update to the newly opened charging stations ASAP. The status updates for different chargers are improving online all the time now I feel.
I drove across Canada in February, using Petro-Canada’s brand new charging network. The Nav had no idea the stations existed. So I could never pre-heat my battery pack.

So, yes, one of my first Feature Requests to Porsche was Manual Pre-heat of the battery.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

Thanks @louv for the point on the precondition. @Scandinavian the navigation maps seem to update over the air from time to time, so fingers crossed that behind the scenes Ionity and EA are feeding the information to Porsche on a regular basis. I have had my car since April and have been using the EA and EVGo chargers and the L1 (110v) home charging without an issue. In a few weeks, I will finally install a L2 NEMA 14-50 outlet in the house more as a convenience than a necessity.
Sponsored