Advice on 2020 Demo vs 2021 and Specs

DilenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL; 2009 Lexus LS 460
Country flag
Hi all,
New member here and hope to be a new Taycan owner in the next week or so. I'm looking to get a 4s and my local dealer has a couple of 2020 Demos remaining, including one that has numerous options on it and so is priced higher than a 2021 with fewer options on it (but still a good deal given the discount for being a 2020 demo). I haven't been able to figure out many differences between 2020 and 2021 (and understand that the 2020 model is eligible for the software upgrade). Any big and obvious difference I'm missing that should make me lean towards a 2021? This will be my first Porsche and am still trying to learn all the options. Below are the options on the 2020 demo I'm considering. It seems a big part of the high price is the wheels and ceramic brakes. Anything crucial that is missing that folks think is a must-have? I'm aware of no sport chrono which I'm ok with, but am concerned about whether I need the 150KW on board charger. Dealership tells me that will only be useful for fast charging at charging stations on long road trips and infrastructure isn't there for that yet anyway.

- Volcano Gray with Slate Leather seats
- Premium Package
- Burmester Sound System
- PCCB with Calipers in High Gloss Black
- Wheels painted exterior color
- PDCC Sport
- Sport Design Package in High Gloss Black
- 21" Mission E Wheels
- PTV+
- Performance Battery Plus
- Passenger Display
- Mobile Charger Connect
- Inno Drive with ACC
- Puddle Light Projectors
- LED Matrix Design HL in Glacier Blue
- Adaptive Sport Seats
- Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass
- Interior Accents in Exterior Color
- Window trim in High Gloss Black
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The MY20 vehicle will be sold with all latest software updates (get that verified) which on this type of vehicle and current track record is a pre-requisite especially on MY20 cars.

Apart from a major software overhaul you will get missing features such as wireless Apple CarPlay.

This is a huge spec but some are missing - panoramic roof (lightens the interior and allows roof bars to be fitted), rear wheel steer, 150kW 400V DC but if no infrastructure then less of an issue (better to have than not), Sports Chrono is a miss on this car given the other high performance options (think of resale), power steering plus and that's about it.

Other than that the car will drive the same as a MY21 and arguably close to being identical.

PCCB is an enthusiasts option and likely way beyond what you would need for normal driving. To get 21" Mission E wheels you must specify either PSCB or PCCB brake upgrades which is neigh on extortion!

If you don't care for the high performance options then a MY21 car to your spec might be a wiser move.

Difficult one indeed!

D_Frost

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GLE, Vantage
From what I gather so far, Plug&Charge is only available starting MY21 and is not available for MY20 Taycans. If this makes a difference (from a convenience perspective), it may make sense to go with a MY21 vehicle.

Pennyroyal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD, 2022 Mercedes GLC
Country flag
The Plug & Charge feature is the reason we went with a 2021. It speeds up charging times and personal data has increased protection.

Hessam001

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What tires do you guys recommend for 22” wheels on a Taycan 4s
Front wheel 22 x 9
Rear wheel 22 x 10.5
I was thinking about going 35 series for the front because I want some extra tire for the pot holes
What do you think of these tires below, do you think it will rub?
Front: 275/35R22 or 265/35R22
Rear: 305/30R22

notsofast

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, 2005 Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The MY21 cars have an updated battery with different cell chemistry. I have yet to find out whether that actually makes a difference in charging behavior or anywhere else. In addition the PSCB brakes went from ten to six piston in front.
Sponsored