Advice on dealing with Porsche on New Taycan Failure

thopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, McLaren 650S Spyder, MB E300 4Matic
Country flag
Hi everyone.
I was thrilled to be a new owner a few weeks ago and even posted my 4S, picked up on a Wednesday afternoon. By Sunday afternoon, the car was not just bricked, with the infamous 12V battery issue, but the whole 800v charging system had failed.
I've finally received a Taycan loaner for the last week, after a Cayenne, but I am rapidly losing faith in my first Porsche purchase and asked them to buy it back so I can get a new car that's not been torn apart after being owned for 4 days.

As an aside, on Monday, I'll have been without my car for 21 days.

Am I being unreasonable here?
Sponsored

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm not sure about NJ laws regarding mandatory buy back (lemon) but in CA the car must have spent 30 days cumulative in the shop for repairs (in the first 18 months of ownership), or some other scenarios such as a "fix or software update" that is not available or "warranty parts on back order for greater than 30 days from the last repair attempt".

Getting a courtesy buyback (dealer/manufacturer buying car back without legal action) should be a reasonable request, based on what has been described above, since the dealers and manufacturers never want to have a car be declared a "lemon" by a court of law, as the title will be branded as such.

From what you are describing, (first the 12V battery issue, and second the failure of the 800V charging system) are pretty much mutually exclusive from each other and one would more than likely not cause the other.

From your post history here, it appears that maybe the charging system was fault from the get go for your car, or perhaps the dealership did not know exactly what is wrong with the car and are replacing the charging system as part of the diagnostic process.

It sucks to purchase a new car and not be able to use it. If it were me, I would respectfully request that they refund my purchase price right away, then decide if you want to purchase another one.

A quick internet search tells me in NJ, lemon law applies after three or more attempts at a repair from the authorized dealer. The lemon law may also apply if the vehicle is in the shop for more than 20 days for a repair.

Getting a refund under the lemon law requires legal action to be initiated (typically by a lawyer) and then getting the Department of Consumer Affairs in your state to make a decision.

All of that will take time, it will not cost you anything as attorneys are required to take the cases on a contingency.

However, do not expect a fast decision, as there is bureaucracy involved and the longer it takes, they more billable hours occur.

OP
OP

thopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Getting a courtesy buyback (dealer/manufacturer buying car back without legal action) should be a reasonable request, based on what has been described above, since the dealers and manufacturers never want to have a car be declared a "lemon" by a court of law, as the title will be branded as such.

From what you are describing, (first the 12V battery issue, and second the failure of the 800V charging system) are pretty much mutually exclusive from each other and one would more than likely not cause the other.

From your post history here, it appears that maybe the charging system was a fault from the get-go for your car, or perhaps the dealership did not know exactly what is wrong with the car and are replacing the charging system as part of the diagnostic process.
Thanks for replying F16HTON, that was the outcome I was hoping for; a buyback without a legal drag-out fight. I belie someone else with the repeated battery issues had it and got one.

By the way, nice to see an owner from Hawaii; I have family in Kaunakakai, Moloka'i, and usually spend most of my winters there.

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone.
I was thrilled to be a new owner a few weeks ago and even posted my 4S, picked up on a Wednesday afternoon. By Sunday afternoon, the car was not just bricked, with the infamous 12V battery issue, but the whole 800v charging system had failed.
I've finally received a Taycan loaner for the last week, after a Cayenne, but I am rapidly losing faith in my first Porsche purchase and asked them to buy it back so I can get a new car that's not been torn apart after being owned for 4 days.

As an aside, on Monday, I'll have been without my car for 21 days.

Am I being unreasonable here?
No, I dont believe you are being unreasonable at all! I have had my Taycan since 4/2 and I am having issues and my faith in Porsche is dwindiling with every moment that passes. I got the Red error message "Motor Control Error. Stop Vehicle in a safe place." I am a very understanding person but when your car comes to an abrubt stop in the middle of a busy Los Angeles freeway it makes understanding a little difficult. The fact that many of us are experiencing this issue as well as Your issue and many others, makes it that much harder. Additionally, the fact that my dealership is acting as if I should not be concerned, " this type of thing never happens" etc, etc. is completely off putting I really like my Taycan but its too expensive to just sit in the driveway or at the dealership being serviced. If the customer service was little better, perhaps it would make it easier. I will Respectfully be asking for a refund as well! I'm sad to say it but It's my first Porsche and possibly my last.

OP
OP

thopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, at 28 days now without any engagement from Porsche corporate (despite being promised many times), so I am pretty much at the point that I may never buy a Porsche again.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I'm not sure about NJ laws regarding mandatory buy back (lemon) but in CA the car must have spent 30 days cumulative in the shop for repairs (in the first 18 months of ownership), or some other scenarios such as a "fix or software update" that is not available or "warranty parts on back order for greater than 30 days from the last repair attempt".

From your post history here, it appears that maybe the charging system was fault from the get go for your car, or perhaps the dealership did not know exactly what is wrong with the car and are replacing the charging system as part of the diagnostic process.

It sucks to purchase a new car and not be able to use it. If it were me, I would respectfully request that they refund my purchase price right away, then decide if you want to purchase another one.

A quick internet search tells me in NJ, lemon law applies after three or more attempts at a repair from the authorized dealer. The lemon law may also apply if the vehicle is in the shop for more than 20 days for a repair.

Getting a refund under the lemon law requires legal action to be initiated (typically by a lawyer) and then getting the Department of Consumer Affairs in your state to make a decision.

All of that will take time, it will not cost you anything as attorneys are required to take the cases on a contingency.

However, do not expect a fast decision, as there is bureaucracy involved and the longer it takes, they more billable hours occur.
Gents, F16HTON was one of the OGs of the Macan Forum & has all sorts of great knowledge to share. Very cool to see you here! How are you liking it so far? No tuning or lowering fun with this car (well I guess you could lower it if you were nuts).

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Gents, F16HTON was one of the OGs of the Macan Forum & has all sorts of great knowledge to share. Very cool to see you here! How are you liking it so far? No tuning or lowering fun with this car (well I guess you could lower it if you were nuts).
Actually I am lowering my car on day one with the CETE active suspension control. Not quite sure about any tuning capabilities yet, but we have a 992 if we want to go fast.

Our Taycan is still at port in CA, hopefully it will arrive at the end of the month.

Dan3141

First Name
Dejan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had the same issue, and did a buyback. Conntact then now and at day31 you will get an email saying they will buy back the car. Porsche really messed up here.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Actually I am lowering my car on day one with the CETE active suspension control. Not quite sure about any tuning capabilities yet, but we have a 992 if we want to go fast.

Our Taycan is still at port in CA, hopefully it will arrive at the end of the month.
The "unless you're nuts" qualifier was an invitation for you to share your plans. :p I have several spots on my commute where I'd scrape in the even the stock "low" setting. Are you getting air on a RWD?