First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Howdy,

I am after as much advice as possible from the great folk of this forum to spec our Taycan 4S. I know there are a lot of discussions around this, but my situation is probably quite unique, in that this is the first car I will ever have purchased. I don't even have a driving license right now; my wife has been driving over 10 years, but we've only had one car together (Mercedes A Class) which we leased in a hurry last year. Basically, you may rightfully talk to me as someone who truly knows nothing about cars.

Having put the deposit down yesterday, I will be finalising the order next week. Whilst I've no prior interest in cars, I do love my research and have spent far too long during lockdown on the configurator and these forums.

This is being purchased as a family car, with our daughter due any week now. For the spec our main priorities are:
  1. Safety
  2. Comfort
  3. Saleability (we'll replace it in 2-3 years time)
I have started to go through this with the sales executive in Cambridge, but it's always good to get extra opinions. Here's what I think the best configuration is, based on that criteria:

Optional extras:
  • 21” Wheels
  • Better interior - should we go non-leather? It's hard to gauge quality from the pictures
  • Heads-up display
  • Night Vision Assist
  • InnoDrive
  • Ambient Lighting
  • E-Performance - unknown what we require
Considered, but unlikely
  • Passenger Display - I tried this during the test drive and couldn't see enough value in it
  • Seat Ventilation (front) - probably not needed in the UK weather?
  • Acoustically insulated laminated glass - it already seemed quiet, so does this make much difference?
  • Side Window Trims in Black (high-gloss) - I still can't decide whether it's better with or without
Any thoughts/insights? Anything I've missed or should consider?
Sponsored

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I was going to go non-leather as I find leather is usually too cold in winter and too hot in summer, but if you can get precool/heat working I don’t think it’s such an issue.

with a young daughter myself I decided on the leather, in the hope it’s easier to wipe down in case of mess. Hasn’t happened yet but I expect it will at some point!

worth considering:

electric sport sound - better than it sounds
Sport chrono
Check free options such as door sill guards in different finishes
Upgraded sound system - Bose? I even find that quite quiet
Powered charging port cover
Privacy glass

some of those things I think might help resale too. I’d expect more people will be looking for things like sport chrono than not.

Options I didn’t bother with:

Night vision assist
Innodrive
3D parking
Rear seat heating
Passenger display
Insulated glass - but I’d consider it if I had my time again, just to see how quiet it is
Seat ventilation - but I’d now like to try it out

I guess these depend on preference and the type of driving you expect to be doing. I didn’t think I’d use them enough to warrant the price.

I chose black window trims. Personal preference. It was a tough decision and it really depends on what look you’re after and what colour the car is. Maybe have a look at a few real life pics of your colour car.

Same with the wheels. The Taycan Exclusive wheels are now my favourite.

if you’re thinking about resale then talk this through with the dealer but I’d be careful not to add so many options that the price is too close to a Turbo. But sometimes you just have to have the right options for yourself!

Have fun with the configurator, exciting times for you.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Also congrats on having a Taycan as your first car. What a fantastic position to be in!

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have the insulated glass and it certainly makes driving very quiet. I absolutely love it.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Also congrats on having a Taycan as your first car. What a fantastic position to be in!
I turned 34 last month, so I see it more in in line with being an embarrassment that I don't have a license yet. This is what working from home, in cycle-mad Cambridge, my entire adult life has done to me. I did this for my 30th and the pilot asked if I wanted to take control of the plane - nope, thanks!

Thank you for all the feedback. Do you mind expanding on Sport Chrono? The sales rep also suggested it, but I don't really see what it adds other than the clock on the dashboard, which aesthetically I don't like. I read someone else on this forum suggesting that it only added some knob that allowed you to move between different modes, but you could do that anyway from the touch screen?

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Sport Chrono adds the clock (and a stop watch system for track use) and the knob that makes it easy for you to change drive mode. I like the button and I didn't expect to like the clock, but now I love it. It's the easiest spot to check the time.

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag
Hi there, what an interesting situation. My choice of options is always influenced by what I've experienced on previous cars, whereas this looks like being all new to you.
In my opinion there are a small number of options that could really hurt resale value if not spec'd - sport chrono (I drove a loan cayenne without it recently and the dash just doesn't look right), leather interior, and window trims in black (for most exterior colours), upgraded wheels, performance battery.
I've had ventilated seats before when I lived near London and they were so nice in summer. Now living in Manchester so not needed any more! If I lived somewhere warmer like in Cambridge I'd defo spec them.
Watch out for the PDLS matrix lights. I chose them on the salesman's recommendation, but I've since learnt that they only work at >40 mph on roads without streetlights so I've not used them once yet.
My previous car (Panamera turbo) had 4 zone climate and my kids aged 5 and 10 never used it. Nor did they ever used the rear heated seats. I think heated steering wheel is essential though. My Panamera also had Burmester sound system. My Taycan 4S has Bose, and my wife's Macan S has standard Porsche sounds. I honesty can not tell the difference between all 3, but I'd recommend getting the Bose for resale value.
I assume you have seen actual dolomite silver taycans and not just the configurator? I originally ordered silver but changed my mind when I saw how blueish it is.
Ambient lighting is good.
I'm a big fan of the Sport sound. If I'm driving sensibly then it is switched off, but when I'm driving it like it should be used then I always switch it on. It gives a great soundtrack to the instant acceleration etc. Note that the noise is also projected outside the car - I've had a few positive comments from people who heard me coming.
I went for 14 way seats, but I wish I'd spent a bit more on 18 way as my seats aren't as supportive as my previous car.
I noticed you missed the side airbags in rear - you'd never forgive yourself if the worst happened - only £300.
Make sure you see a few different cars, even if it means driving to other porsche dealers.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.

Will

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag
just to add something else about sport chrono. You do really need the steering wheel mounted control. You'll probably be surprised how often you change driving mode on the same journey - I often change modes 2 or 3 times when just doing the school run. My previous car didn't have the steering wheel control and it was a right pain having to find the right button in the centre console.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Sod the Taycan; how could you not want to take the controls of a Mig-29?!

Might be worth looking at Lane Change Assist. I think it has various safety features (detecting cars approaching from various directions) that may be useful to you, since safety is obviously something that’s important to you. Maybe other owners who have it can chime in with more details.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thanks so much, Will.

Interesting on the colours and PDLS. I can't really see any point of the matrix lights at all in that case. I've spent time looking on these forums at other people's pictures of their Dolomite Silver Taycan's and liked what I saw, but the Cambridge branch only has them in white. The only alternative I love is Volcano Grey, but my wife thinks it's too sporty looking.

I also cannot recall where now, but I think I read something that the side airbags were actually unsafe for children under a certain age. I might be wrong though.

Thanks, bootsie. My understanding is that Lane Change Assist is included with "3D Surround View with Active Parking Support".

With privacy glass, are there any other benefits other than preventing people starring in your back seats?

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag
Regarding the lights, I wish I'd spent the money on the torque vectoring plus which I assume is like having a limited slip differential (if anyone has this option please comment).

For the colour I think is is essential that you see one in the flesh. I was very dissapointed with the dolomite silver. I've has a GT3 in GT silver which was lovely, but I really didn;t take to the bluish hue of the dolomite.

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up about the side impact airbags, I'll look into that urgently.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up about the side impact airbags, I'll look into that urgently.
I was Googling it as well. It's led me to:

https://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing-using/airbags-and-child-seats/

• If concerned, contact the vehicle manufacturer to ask how far the side airbags come out if they deploy and whether they are likely to contact a child restraint in the rear outboard seats. EuroNCAP tests include assessing the safety of child seats in a side impact, so check www.euroncap.com to see if your vehicle model is one of those that has been tested.
and

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/porsche/taycan/39129

....and I'm still not 100% sure. I'll ask the dealer to be sure, but watching the crash videos on euroncap I'm in total agreement that at £291 it's absolutely worth it, assuming no issues with child seats.

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag
PS I think the Taycan looks great in Volcano grey. Only reason I didn't go for it is that my last car was grey

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Plenty of good advice above so I'm going to chime in with a different angle. Based on your priorities & situation I'd advise against a Taycan. It's really not a car designed for safety or family comfort and you might find yourself overwhelmed by the torque.

It is low to the ground, has little storage, and child safety is an afterthought as it was never designed as a family car despite the four doors. The driving aids in the Taycan are pretty poor for a modern car and the visibility is fairly low.

If I were you, I'd get a CPO Macan or Panamera (if you're set on Porsche) and drive that for a year or two first.

Just my 2 cents. Otherwise good advice above on spec.
Sponsored