f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
why guessing? :) I think you have all the tool and models to get concrete results of the losses?
PMFJI but IME, admittedly in Formula 1 which have a much more complex flow than a road car, no CFD analysis has got anywhere near 1% accuracy on forces and an exceptionally good wind tunnel with good simulation of moving ground and rotating wheels is better thyan that run to run but maybe not longer term.
Has anybody outside Porsche (and maybe even they haven't) got an accurate enough model or FS wind tunnel to measure drag to 1% ?
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
He are some results of tests done with a 2020 Taycan 4S on custom, quite open, 21" wheels
If you use "open wheels" your data is pretty much useless.
The turbulence from the wheels will highly interfere with the airflow within the wheel well.
If you make the wheel a lesser factor in measuring air flow through the vents you should close them, or at least use the most aerodynamic wheel available.

Also: if you want to draw conclusions you have to reproduce the results (at least two times, more is better).
That way you'll lower the measuring/calculation errors down to a more acceptabel level.
If you don't, you may draw the wrong conclusion (cuz the percentage of the errors lies within the spread/variations of the test results).
Anyway, great to see such a hobby project!
Keep up the good work! 👍🏻

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
If you use "open wheels" your data is pretty much useless.
The turbulence from the wheels will highly interfere with the airflow within the wheel well.
If you make the wheel a lesser factor in measuring air flow through the vents you should close them, or at least use the most aerodynamic wheel available.

Also: if you want to draw conclusions you have to reproduce the results (at least two times, more is better).
That way you'll lower the measuring/calculation errors down to a more acceptabel level.
If you don't, you may draw the wrong conclusion (cuz the percentage of the errors lies within the spread/variations of the test results).
Anyway, great to see such a hobby project!
Keep up the good work! 👍🏻
Is that really true? Seems that you would want to test using the wheels you are likely to use under real life conditions. I could imagine different results based on different wheel types, in which case you would want to use the same wheels for the test that you are likely to use day-to-day.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Is that really true? Seems that you would want to test using the wheels you are likely to use under real life conditions.
My conclusion would be that the Mission E wheels would spoil the possible benefits of that open vent anyway.
In my case, I like the looks of the Mission E wheels and the coolness of the electric charge door.
Although I like the vents open...

I could imagine different results based on different wheel types, in which case you would want to use the same wheels for the test that you are likely to use day-to-day.
That's why it's important in this test to determine the effect of the wheels on the results.
If you close them they are likely to have less effect on the airflow through the wheel well which will improve the consistency of the data (ie you push the focus to the vents, not the influence of the wheels in order to have less variables, which is better).
Sponsored

Last edited: