Affandi

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT 2020
Country flag
Hello, im wondering if anyone here has any experience in newer mustangs (2018+) and how they compare to the taycan, speed, handling etc

I wonder if the 4S would feel fast for me who owns a 2020 GT :p
Sponsored

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The 4S will feel like it's several classes above. Your mustang will feel numb and really slow compared to the Taycan.

The driver engagement in the Taycan is relatively close to a modern 911. Not quite as good, but closer to the 911 than a mustang.

In terms of acceleration, the Taycan will feel like a launch of the mustang using line lock and dropping the clutch at 4000 rpms. But the Taycan can do that type of acceleration all the time at any moment. It's like being exactly at the perfect RPM and in the right gear all the time.

There is nothing like it.

Edit: My most recently ICE powered vehicle was an Audi RS5. It felt like a slow economy car compared to the Taycan. Prior to that I had several 911's. All of them felt slow compared to a Taycan.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
EV’s are in a different league than most any gas engine car - excepting for all but the most extreme. Please drive one (Model 3 Performance or Taycan 4s/Turbo) and then get back to us.

it’s unlikely that you will not be blown away. Frankly NO gas car has impressed me ever since I did my first EV launch in a 2013 Tesla Model S P85 - after that EV is the only way forward.

Your mustang really really won’t hold a candle.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
best joke of the day - honestly - win the internet this week with this one!:cool:

OP
OP

Affandi

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT 2020
Country flag
Yeah, thats my biggest complaint about the Mustang, the 10 speed gearbox feels wrong for the car, its always in the low rpms, so I have to really press the gas pedal hard to wake the car up

However if I use the shift pedals then its more alive

I know the taycan will be a lot more responsive (basing my EV experience on Teslas)

OP
OP

Affandi

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT 2020
Country flag
best joke of the day - honestly - win the internet this week with this one!:cool:
Haha, I meant it more like will the 4S feel fast enough or do I have to step up to a Turbo to be blown away, but maybe the 4S is enough :D

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
4S good, Turbo Better, Turbo S Best…

the immediacy of EV torque is a drug - you will be addicted - recommend the Turbo as a test drive, and then experience the 4S and decide if you want to spend the extra 15-20k delta

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Mustang GT is just a different class of car. Even the highest track focused variants don't really feel that great handling wise, IMHO, even if they are very adept on a track. This is where people get a little messed up, I think, when they just look at numbers on paper. The higher mustang variants put up great track times but it feels like you're really wrangling the car too make it happen.. versus things like a 911 or Taycan that put up great track times and feel very natural at it.

But it's a very emotional muscle car, although a little more sterile these days.

The Taycan is going to feel immensely more capable on the street/real world driving, but it's sometimes too capable & quiet. You certainly won't get the sense of drama that you can with a Mustang.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was coming home from costco today - I applied “light“ but earnest throttle in my Taycan Turbo - it silently, swiftly, and relentlessly accelerated through 120 mph and was still pulling - it’s truely stunning - and I wasn’t even ”mashing” the accelerator…

EV’s are a different league - when done correctly - effortless speed and relentless and immediate torque at all times - for _ANY_ legal driving situation - EV’s will outclass almost any ICE vehicle.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
The Mustang GT is just a different class of car. Even the highest track focused variants don't really feel that great handling wise, IMHO, even if they are very adept on a track. This is where people get a little messed up, I think, when they just look at numbers on paper. The higher mustang variants put up great track times but it feels like you're really wrangling the car too make it happen.. versus things like a 911 or Taycan that put up great track times and feel very natural at it.

But it's a very emotional muscle car, although a little more sterile these days.

The Taycan is going to feel immensely more capable on the street/real world driving, but it's sometimes too capable & quiet. You certainly won't get the sense of drama that you can with a Mustang.
Agree with all of these comments.

My comparison base begins with a Tesla P85+ which was the original Tesla Hot Rod. While it was surpassed by newer generations of 4 dual motor Teslas it still provided my first taste of instant torque when we first acquired the car 7 years ago.

More recently I am able to match our new Taycan Turbo S with its garage mate, a 2017 911 Turbo S. The 911 is really quick, and it does respond as instantly as any ICE can; but it can't match the power and acceleration that you get from the Taycan.

Finally I am a partner in a Ford GT, and while that car is responsive in every way it doesn't really exceed the 911 in performance. Comparing the Taycan to a high horse power ICE is almost an apples to oranges equation. The sheer noise of the gas engined vehicle evokes a sense of performance to the driver that is not available from the almost silent EV, but the actual performance of the dual motor Taycan provides a level of response that is a generation beyond pistons turning a crankshaft .

The Mustang GT is a plaything compared to the Taycan. It will sound like it's in the game, but you'll be seeing it perform though the rear view mirror.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love the sound of a really really good exhaust in the rear view mirror of my super quick EV…there is nothing better.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Hello, im wondering if anyone here has any experience in newer mustangs (2018+) and how they compare to the taycan, speed, handling etc

I have a 2019 Bullitt and a Taycan Turbo. The Mustang is fun to drive with its muscle car feel and exhaust. The Taycan is a true sports car and the silent, smooth, neck-snapping acceleration with no shifting is like nothing I have driven. Most fun car I have owned.

sulaiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have been driving for a long time and drove a lot of cars
HAND DOWN tacyan is 110% better in every single way
my last super car was 720s McLaren ,, what I’m about to say may sound crezy ..but I can take corner on higher speed with the tacan and that’s more than 1 ton extra on car wight

acceleration is too powerful its almost painful

You can use LC as much as you can the car will take it ..but you have to check with your doctor if your body can handle it :p

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Haha, I meant it more like will the 4S feel fast enough or do I have to step up to a Turbo to be blown away, but maybe the 4S is enough :D
I’m coming from a Hellcat Charger with over 800hp at the crank and the acceleration in the 4S is STILL surprisingly fast and feels like plenty. Muscle cars with lots of HP always have issues with traction and have to get in the right power band for them to go full blast. The instant torque on the 4S never gets old, the Turbo and Turbo S i imagine must be just head spinningly awesome and intense. I dont regret switching it up to this car at all. I know I’d beat my Hellcat and any GT off the line all day long, but of course it would be reeled in down the line (not the Turbos tho!). You will be quite happy. Take a test drive, you will know. And that’s not even getting into how far superior this car is for drivability and non-straightaways!
Sponsored