OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You will have to compare roughly same % Visible Light Transmittance with TSER % :like:
截圖 2021-08-01 上午10.52.37.png

截圖 2021-08-01 上午10.50.29.png
Thank you. I will check this out. I can remove my film on the outside and put something better in... :)

Do you have the pano? Have you used this film, since you are almost the same climate as me?

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
Not yet, my ct4s will only arrive in November :crying: and yes I have the pano and thermally & noise insulated glass on order.

My cayenne had full solar guard LX film and very happy with it. I am sure you can get it in Shenzhen

https://solargard.saint-gobain.com.cn/node/72

Thank you. I will check this out. I can remove my film on the outside and put something better in... :)

Do you have the pano? Have you used this film, since you are almost the same climate as me?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Any modification can void the warranty of the modified components if the failure is related to the modification. Also the dealer is not the one who approves warranty claims. That would be PCNA so I am not sure if I would believe anything the dealer says.
For the rear windshield crack claims PCNA request the dealer to submit at least 3 photos before the claim is approved. I am almost sure they will ask for tints or other mods.
I hear you - I was referencing the Porsche Car Manual and the Porsche Warranty not the dealer - my SA happens to be a particularly informed and active individual despite the dealer ship )! I am guessing the ref to modifications is specific in the warranty?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is a link for regular house windows but I guess the same rules apply for all multi-pane windows.
https://tintindustry.com/home-window-tinting/tinting-double-pane-windows.html

Ps. I have a light tint on some house windows and they get much warmer than the windows that don't have any tint. The seals of the tinted winows all broke prematurely.
Not sure same rules apply in that residential have gas filled spaces between double/triple paned windows vs a laminated multi-layered but effectively single paned or welded auto glass. Whilst poorly constructed residential windows might have issues with gas expansion/overheating and seal failure the industry stds. here are such that any stress caused by gas expansion alone would fall below failure modes.
No doubt whatsoever however that our car windows experience significant thermal stress but the question is what are the design limitations/tolerance limits of the engineered glass (not all glass the same of course) and by adding film which, as you correctly state can increase absorption, how much closer to those limits do we get? It is also true I believe that fully clear films will have far less absorption but retain the IR capabilities. The point being I guess is that there are likely films we can use that meet or exceed (warranty/technical) guidelines for safe use in our cars?

Just one summary from endless random examples w.r.t. residential on the web:
https://www.conveniencegroup.com/myths-about-window-film

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You will have to compare roughly same % Visible Light Transmittance with TSER % :like:
Hey Andy - good info - yes indeed I was actually comparing this but did not specify - I can still find examples in the link I sent and for example another here that put modern nano ceramics right up there in respect total performance with the significant benefit imo of no radio interference - this 3M example has multiple VLT options and still with 66% TSER. Huper-Optik are by no means the best in this field.

Porsche Taycan Air conditioning and panorama roof! 3M

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Further on Porsche's description of the Pano roof but no numbers.

For the first time in a Porsche, low-emissivity thermal insulation glass is used for the panoramic fixed glass roof. Several wafer-thin metal layers are applied to the insulating glass. As the thermal insulation glass allows short-wave radiation to pass through and reflects long-wave infra-red radiation, the vehicle interior will heat up more slowly in summer. This also means that the heat in the interior is retained longer in winter. In combination with the glass tint, it was therefore possible to dispense with a roller blind. An intermediate layer in the glass structure also provides acoustic insulation for the interior.

Source: The technology behind the new Porsche Taycan

Observation. The roof should block most of the IR. It doesn't say anything about UV. The car will still heat from conduction if left in the sun or heat too long. That would need to be handled by the cars AC along with the humidity.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I have had my CT4S for exactly one month today. I live in Houston, and it has been hot and humid here for the last month. I have the Pano roof, and I was worried about the heat.

I am happy to report that it has been a non issue for me. The a/c keeps the car nice and cool. I have left the car out in the parking lot of COSTCO for a few hours, and come back, turn on the car, it it cools down very quickly.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have had my CT4S for exactly one month today. I live in Houston, and it has been hot and humid here for the last month. I have the Pano roof, and I was worried about the heat.

I am happy to report that it has been a non issue for me. The a/c keeps the car nice and cool. I have left the car out in the parking lot of COSTCO for a few hours, and come back, turn on the car, it it cools down very quickly.
Hey - good to hear from you and this is excellent - I may be sweating over this for nothing (sorry, crap pun intended)! How is the 'glare/reflection/ when driving if any? And BTW, you owe me a look at that thing :)!

Reactions: B61

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
I live in Northern California. If the car stays under the afternoon summer sun for more than an hour (exterior temperature below 90 F) the roof gets hot. From the inside it is too hot to touch. The roof cloth liner around the glass is warm but not hot.
The A/C keeps the cabin cool without problem but there is noticeable heat near my head and the sunlight on my head is annoying. I have added sunshades that help a little.
This is my first and last car with a pano roof. Unfortunately it was a forced option on 2020s. I am glad it is now optional and other EVs like e-tron and Mach-e Gt do not force you to have a panoroof like Tesla.

20210731_111224.jpg

20210731_111211.jpg
Great idea love it.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Hey - good to hear from you and this is excellent - I may be sweating over this for nothing (sorry, crap pun intended)! How is the 'glare/reflection/ when driving if any? And BTW, you owe me a look at that thing :)!
I don’t notice any glare or reflection, but that may just be a function of my driving position. There is enough “roof” between the top of the windshield and the front edge of the pano roof that I never seem to have sun in my face from the roof.

Yes, we still need to get together! Sorry, the last month has been busy with work/home!