Air conditioning and panorama roof!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Have actually lived in CA, NV, UT and FL at various points so I can speak with experience on those locations and believe me the heat-humidity combo in Houston is pretty special :)

I think a technical review of the IR/UV capability of the std glass would be interesting. There is a vid on the forum comparing IR transmissibility of std film to ceramic film to nano film and the results with the nano are impressive to say the least.

Long and short of it is you can hardly do harm (other than spend money :)) applying this if your goal is to essentially block any possibility of added heat through the roof glass.
As a follow up - I can get Xpel's Prime Nano-Ceramic for the Pano roof installed for $450 here in Houston - 99% UV and 99% IR blocking! And any shade you want - so clear or match windows at 35% etc. - this is a done deal for me.
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As a follow up - I can get Xpel's Prime Nano-Ceramic for the Pano roof installed for $450 here in Houston - 99% UV and 99% IR blocking! And any shade you want - so clear or match windows at 35% etc. - this is a done deal for me.
Is it installed on the outside or inside?
If it inside the glass will get hot probably more than before since the heat will be trapped inside the glass.
If it is outside what is its expected life and how easy is it to replace/remove it?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here in the high desert, as the temps climb above 100F, the humidity drops from the teens into ...........

It's because, science: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10803548.2019.1699728

Also, from a Porsche Christophorus magazine:

THERMAL GLASS ROOF
The Taycan is optionally offered with a panorama glass roof whose roughly square-meter surface provides maximum headroom and a pleasantly spacious feel. There’s no sunblind, as the thermal properties of the glass (IR protection and low-emissivity coating) protect occupants against bright light and fatigue from heat buildup. The thermal glass does it all: it completely blocks UV radiation, significantly reduces infrared radiation, and boasts excellent noise-insulating properties. What’s new is the multilayered insulation and coating extending into the passenger compartment. These ensure that, on hot days and cold, and even in close proximity to the glass, the temperature feels like it does in the rest of the interior.
Thx for this info - good to know the std pano glass is doing a good job - gives me hope :)

Houston very frequently is at or above 100F (air temp - feels like way above this) and with so many ozone days the heat can penetrate significantly. There is a point where the impact of 100F+ temperatures in the high desert vs anywhere else becomes almost irrelevant in respect location :) I am an earth scientist and cannot tell you how many field seasons I have spent in desert areas all over the world over the last 30 years, so I do truly understand the differences between high altitude desert vs low altitude hot and humid comparisons when getting into a parked exposed vehicle - but again all becomes a bit of a wash imo.

I think the key point again is we are trying to determine IR penetration not so much UV. So the Porsche magazine description you provided of the Pano properties is of course not quantitative in respect saying that the pano glass IR shielding "significantly reduces infrared radiation" - no actual data/percentage.

Standard ceramic film as a likely comparator does indeed significantly reduce IR up to ca. 70%+. Nano-ceramics achieve up to 99%. The cost I was quoted to install std (Xpel) ceramic for the pano roof on the CT at 75% IR and 99% UV was $350 and installation of the Xpel Nano-ceramic at 99%/99% was $450 - a simple decision for me.

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it installed on the outside or inside?
If it inside the glass will get hot probably more than before since the heat will be trapped inside the glass.
If it is outside what is its expected life and how easy is it to replace/remove it?
I assume as with any such film that would be inside the vehicle - as an asside, I was considering STEK or Xpel on the outside for stone chip protection but not committed as yet. The heat would surely be dissipated or reflected back through the glass i.e. glass gets heated in any scenario, right? In this case the heat would simply be retarded from entering the cabin.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I assume as with any such film that would be inside the vehicle - as an asside, I was considering STEK or Xpel on the outside for stone chip protection but not committed as yet. The heat would surely be dissipated or reflected back through the glass i.e. glass gets heated in any scenario, right? In this case the heat would simply be retarded from entering the cabin.
I have a lot of experience in adding films on the inside of dual pane windows and the heat is not reflected back out. The heat is trapped between the panes. If you go too dark and/or if there is too much heat the glass and the flanges around the glass break.
Having said that, I am not sure how the Pano roof is constructed but I wouldn't risk adding any film on the inside. If the roof breaks the warranty won't cover you.

Last edited:

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Air conditioning and panorama roof! 截圖 2021-08-01 上午9.04.13

This is what I am going to get for my CT.
Front LX70 with Pano roof and the rest LX55

way better than ceramic film ( % Total Solar Energy Rejected)
but LX film will block GPS signal inside taycan, so you need to install GPS signal booster inside the car.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a lot of experience in adding films on the inside of dual pane windows and the heat is not reflected back out. The heat is trapped between the panes. If you go too dark and/or if there is too much heat the glass and the flanges around the glass break.
Having said that, I am not sure how the Pano roof is constructed but I wouldn't risk adding any film on the inside. If the roof breaks the warranty won't cover you.
That is very interesting, thx for sharing! I’ll need to dig into this more. I mentioned previously that I had met with a local Taycan owner who has had this installed for a few months now without any apparent issues and parks his car in full Houston sun every day at his workplace - might need to advise him on your experience/advice!
Seems like Xpel as a company would be aware of this, no? A simple solution would indeed be an exterior application. I’ll def try to ping Xpel on this too. Always learning although, to be honest, I don’t quite understand the process you are describing.
Are you saying that heat radiation reflecting off an applied inner ceramic film is not able to pass through the inner glass layer I.e. that this built in layer in the glass reflects heat in both directions thus trapping any radiation reflected off an added inner ceramic film?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
截圖 2021-08-01 上午9.04.13.png

This is what I am going to get for my CT.
Front LX70 with Pano roof and the rest LX55

way better than ceramic film ( % Total Solar Energy Rejected)
but LX film will block GPS signal inside taycan, so you need to install GPS signal booster inside the car.
The more I start looking into these various options the more appear to be out there!
You say this option way better than ceramics but in this link (below) for example (just a simple low detail qualitative review) there are 3+ examples where total blocked solar energy ranges from 50-70%! Seems to match and even better some of the stats in your table, no? - and without any interference of radio/gps?
But again I am pretty ignorant of all the options and need to do my homework!

Here is that link reviewing a number of well known filmmakers:

https://sandiego-autodetail.com/best-ceramic-window-tint/

I need to dig out some facts before I dig myself a hole I can’t climb out of :) - on pause!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you saying that heat radiation reflecting off an applied inner ceramic film is not able to pass through the inner glass layer I.e. that this built in layer in the glass reflects heat in both directions thus trapping any radiation reflected off an added inner ceramic film?
If you have a film installed on the inside the film itself absorbs radiation and the glass cannot transfer heat towards the cabin of the car. Thus the inside layers of the window get hotter than they would without the film. Regular glass can crack because of the stress added by the extra heat. Again, I have no idea how the pano roof is constructed and what are its specs but I am almost sure it will heat up more with the film inside. The question is if and how this can affect its life.

This is a link for regular house windows but I guess the same rules apply for all multi-pane windows.
https://tintindustry.com/home-window-tinting/tinting-double-pane-windows.html

Ps. I have a light tint on some house windows and they get much warmer than the windows that don't have any tint. The seals of the tinted winows all broke prematurely.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another thing to consider is that warranty on the pano roof will probably be voided if you add a film.
So far I have not heard issues with Taycan's roof but the Ford Mach-e had a lot of cracked roofs already (check their forum) and Taycans have several cracked rear windshield. So who knows..

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another thing to consider is that warranty on the pano roof will probably be voided if you add a film.
So far I have not heard issues with Taycan's roof but the Ford Mach-e had a lot of cracked roofs already (check their forum) and Taycans have several cracked rear windshield. So who knows..
I’m guessing the Porsche manual has no warnings on this? - seems like something they’d need to state re warranty stipulations but perhaps not! I’ll def ask my SA about this tomorrow along with some other sources and share anything I learn. Good heads up if correct!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m guessing the Porsche manual has no warnings on this? - seems like something they’d need to state re warranty stipulations but perhaps not! I’ll def ask my SA about this tomorrow along with some other sources and share anything I learn. Good heads up if correct!
Any modification can void the warranty of the modified components if the failure is related to the modification. Also the dealer is not the one who approves warranty claims. That would be PCNA so I am not sure if I would believe anything the dealer says.
For the rear windshield crack claims PCNA request the dealer to submit at least 3 photos before the claim is approved. I am almost sure they will ask for tints or other mods.

Last edited:

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
You say this option way better than ceramics but in this link (below) for example (just a simple low detail qualitative review) there are 3+ examples where total blocked solar energy ranges from 50-70%! Seems to match and even better some of the stats in your table, no? - and without any interference of radio/gps?
You will have to compare roughly same % Visible Light Transmittance with TSER % :like:
Porsche Taycan Air conditioning and panorama roof! 截圖 2021-08-01 上午10.52.37

Porsche Taycan Air conditioning and panorama roof! 截圖 2021-08-01 上午10.50.29

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Pano roof as it comes reflects IR. You might want your film on the windows.
It sure does, but not enough in my climate. Before, to top of my head got hot, now not anymore. IMHO the panorama roof glass is a failure.

Porsche Taycan Air conditioning and panorama roof! 1627793426361

I ordered "Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass". This works well but it does not include the panorama roof glass, which I suspect is the same on every model.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Have you considered getting nano-ceramic film for the roof glass? This film, although very expensive, effectively blocks 90+% of IR heat into the car - really amazing stuff and comes in various shades, even clear. This is what I plan to do once the car arrives if heat is an issue for me (which seems lie in Jul-Aug in Houston!). Curious if you have the thermal/noise insulated glass option (or does the Pano roof come with that as std.)?
There is a lot of various films available here, but I could not find high-tech "nano-ceramic film". I am also happy to report, that the cabin in my climate is still very bright inside. The glass on top is not missed at all! :)
Sponsored