Airbag system error - Service required

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This just came up. Anyone seen this or know how easy it will be for my dealer to fix?

Porsche Taycan Airbag system error - Service required C9246649-E522-4B76-BD20-07C495389896
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
turn the car off and see if the warning returns before calling for service

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve had the warning for a few days. Has anyone else seen this?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Jimminy Xmas.

It doesn't make me feel a whole lot better when we're dealing with software that requires you to 'reboot' the car. I'm hearing this as the recommended solution way too often. That is just a temporary fix to a more fundamental problem.

I'm just hoping this isn't another 'patch required for the update' situation... :confused:

lemooreace

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Base
Country flag
This just came up. Anyone seen this or know how easy it will be for my dealer to fix?

C9246649-E522-4B76-BD20-07C495389896.jpeg
Before I start, If you are having similar issues with your Taycan/Porsche, please reach out to me. We need more leverage on Porsche to get our issue resolved. If there are ten of us we have more leverage.

Our brand new Taycan has been in the shop for 56 days (and counting) for this same airbag issue. The dealer knew within one or two minutes of driving off the lot as we sent him a similar photo 1/4 mile down the road. Even though a safety issue, they told us keep driving and it'll likely go away. It didn't. When we got home the car refused to charge. They told us to bring it back. I gave them written instructions to check the charger AND check the airbag situation. They resolved the charging issue (bad charger) and sent us on our way again. They apparently did nothing about the airbag light.

The light came back of course so the car was back into service at the end of the day on the second day of ownership. They supposedly ran a software patch and the sensor wouldn't take it. It didn't solve the issue so they ordered a new sensor. Apparently, their manufacturing backlog must be more important to them rather than us (the already paid customer) so we ended up waiting for the part to be manufactured in Germany (vs divert a part from the production line). The sensor finally arrived after 55 days of sitting behind the dealer (unprotected from CA sun or dirt/elements), and now they're saying the mechanic is out so it will be another week. I personally believe they tried the new sensor & it too didn't work and they really need greater tech support from Porsche. We will see....

We initially asked (on day three or four) to just erase the deal and get back into our trade in vs continue with this sale (we asked the day we found out the sensor might take weeks due to shortages). But they of course had already sold our trade in vehicle/2021 Chalk Macan S. We took a depreciation loss on the trade as well as lost the down payment because the wife loved the Berry colored Taycan and the idea of the gas savings of an electric vehicle would be of benefit (gas in CA is currently approaching $5). Since we lost the Macan S, we have been trying to get Porsche to simply buy back the Taycan and just "make us whole again". They keep refusing. Their best option they presented for us is to take $15k (which makes us whole in their eyes) but with this deal they are still forcing us to keep the car (so it doesn't report as a lemon law return). The other option is we take NO cash and simply trade the Taycan for another car of equal value. At this point we don't want any Porsche from them. Both Porsche and the dealer have given us more grief than value and we have lost confidence in both.

Bottom line for others, if you have any issue with your new car you have only three days to return the car as a dissatisfied buyer.

Don't drive the car off the lot if its got any bug at all or else you're options to return will go out the window and you'll be stuck in a legal battle.

If you have issues on the drive home, turn around, make them shred the purchase contract and take you trade in back. Then, if they fix the car and you still want it, you can always redraft a new contract.

Don't let them register the defective vehicle to you as it then becomes a service problem and the vehicle immediately depreciates (even if it has only 50 miles on it it shows as a 2nd owner used vehicle).

Also, don't let them let you drive off with a safety related issue/defect and make sure you have a passenger ride in the car for a good long test drive to check/test the passenger airbag sensor.
Looking at this forum, and the recalls, these Taycans still have a ton of bugs to work out.

Last edited:

lemooreace

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Base
Country flag
I disagree on the cross your fingers approach. I recommend if you see this (or any other issue) within 3 days of your purchase you bring it back ASAP and cancel your purchase contract. You can re-start the process after they fix it if you still decide you want the car.

1. Its also a safety issue.
2. Once three days passes its a service/warrantee issue (yours and the service center's problem) and not a defective vehicle (Porsche's problem).
3. If you traded a vehicle for it don't let them deregister it or sell your trade in until the issues on the new car are resolved.
4. If it hasn't processed through the DMV, don't let them register the new car to you until the issues are resolved and you are confident. Otherwise lemon law is your only recourse. Prepare for a lot of pain.

astrojeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, VW ID.4, 2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What was the fix for your airbag issue? I just got the same notice on my car MY 22. I have a service appt next week.

astrojeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, VW ID.4, 2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had my car repaired last week. One of the sensors in the front bumper area was bad and was replaced. Had to remove the wheels and bumper to get to it. Fortunately the part was in stock.