Alignment needed when changing to larger wheels?

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey guys,

So my 21" wheels are finally arriving next week. I've been driving around with the ugly stock 19"ers for the past couple of months since I took delivery.

I was planning on getting the Porsche dealer to install the wheels as I hope that they're less likely to scuff them up. They told me that I would likely need an alignment even though the specs on my new wheels and tires match those of the factory optioned 21" setup.

For all you guys who went to larger wheels - did y'all do an alignment at that time?
Sponsored

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
If the wear on your existing tires looks good and you haven't hit a curb or big pothole I wouldn't think you would need an alignment. Ask them if they are including greasing the ball joints.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
No, Alignment is primarily needed when you lower or raise a vehicle, since changing the height changes the suspension geometry. The key components of suspension geometry (camber, caster, toe) are unchanged when you change wheels/tires.

OP
OP
chenner

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks guys, that’s what I figured. I’ll have the local high end wheel dealer do the install instead of the dealer so I can forgo an alignment.
Sponsored