Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
It is obvious after watching hours of you tube videos and reading articles that All Season tyres are a much better winter option than winter tyres for the north of England where there is snow on the ground only 1 or 2 days a year.
However I need a tyre with the 3 mountain peak snowflake symbol so I can drive legally in Sweden and French Alps.
Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Good Year All season are all season tyres that have the mountain/snowflake symbol (as well as M+S) because of their optimised snow performance.
But I can’t find anything in the right size.
245 45 20 fronts
285 40 20 rears
The NFO official fit All season Pirelli Cinturato P7 is M+S only, furiously expensive and probably last less time than an F1 tyre.
Anybody running 20’ All seasons?
I can’t fit 19’ with my big GTS callipers. Cheers
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Clarification
I CAN find Michelin W rated tyres for the front. Readily available
I can find V rated Michelin tyres for the rear, much rarer.
can’t find front and rear with matching speed ratings?!

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
https://www.tire-reviews.com/Article/2022-Tire-Reviews-Winter-Tire-Test.htm
As in previous tests the Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 wasn't the best in dry braking, and wasn't quite as balanced as some of the other tires in snow handling, but they were the only weaknesses of the LM005. The LM005 excelled in the wet grip tests with the best grip in wet handling and the shortest wet braking distances, it also won the snow braking and performed well in snow traction, had some of the lowest noise on test and the lowest rolling resistance of the top tires. A thoroughly deserved test win for the Japanese giant, congratulations to Bridgestone.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Just a thought: winter tyres are better than all seasons…and summer are better in summer.
Taycan is heavy vehicle, and i’d never take a risk, using all seasons on a 150k€ car…

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
It is obvious after watching hours of you tube videos and reading articles that All Season tyres are a much better winter option than winter tyres for the north of England where there is snow on the ground only 1 or 2 days a year.
However I need a tyre with the 3 mountain peak snowflake symbol so I can drive legally in Sweden and French Alps.
Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Good Year All season are all season tyres that have the mountain/snowflake symbol (as well as M+S) because of their optimised snow performance.
But I can’t find anything in the right size.
245 45 20 fronts
285 40 20 rears
The NFO official fit All season Pirelli Cinturato P7 is M+S only, furiously expensive and probably last less time than an F1 tyre.
Anybody running 20’ All seasons?
I can’t fit 19’ with my big GTS callipers. Cheers
20 inch rims are the only rims that the Crossclimate 2 tire has proper OEM sizes for. At least in the US. It is true that they are V speed rated so only show on the configurator for the base Taycan and the Taycan 4 CT but they fit and as long as you keep it under 150 MPH they should serve fine.

Michelin CrossClimate2 | 245/45R20 - diameter Front | 285/40R20 - diameter Rear (tirerack.com)

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
20 inch rims are the only rims that the Crossclimate 2 tire has proper OEM sizes for. At least in the US. It is true that they are V speed rated so only show on the configurator for the base Taycan and the Taycan 4 CT but they fit and as long as you keep it under 150 MPH they should serve fine.

Michelin CrossClimate2 | 245/45R20 - diameter Front | 285/40R20 - diameter Rear (tirerack.com)
Thank you
This is what I am looking for.
Unfortunately the Cross Climate 2 is different in the US from Europe. I know this because of my you tube geekery!
They are V rated in US. W rated in Europe. I don’t think they are OEM IN Europe. Not UK anyway.
The Michelin UK website shows the front tyres available W rated. No V rated CC2 at all.
No CC2 to fit the rear wheels at any rating!?

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Just a thought: winter tyres are better than all seasons…and summer are better in summer.
Taycan is heavy vehicle, and i’d never take a risk, using all seasons on a 150k€ car…
Thank you.
Trouble is that where I live it’s not winter like you know it. 12 degrees here today. In wet or dry at that temperature summer tyres would be better today.
Winter tyres are specifically ‘7 degrees and under’ tyres and much better in snow. It’s not that cold often here and rarely below freezing.

Summer tyres are USELESS in snow.
England grinds to a halt in snow as 99% on summer tyres but that’s only 1-2 days a year.

I would like a bit of snow ability for the odd day and holidays in winter to Europe. All seasons are LOADS better in snow than summers and much better than winters in wet and dry.

I agree that All Seasons could be seen as neither one thing nor the other but the Michelin Cross Climate 2 outperforms cheap winter tyres and even some premium winter tyres in snow and is miles better in wet and dry than even the best winter tyre.

I plan on using All Seasons for winter, not all year round.
Just more suited to ‘winter’ in UK
ie. Cold and wet and miserable.
Just NOT freezing.

Weight of the car is not a consideration as tyres would always be correct load rating and XL rated.

Thanks again for your input.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Thank you
This is what I am looking for.
Unfortunately the Cross Climate 2 is different in the US from Europe. I know this because of my you tube geekery!
They are V rated in US. W rated in Europe. I don’t think they are OEM IN Europe. Not UK anyway.
The Michelin UK website shows the front tyres available W rated. No V rated CC2 at all.
No CC2 to fit the rear wheels at any rating!?
Well, that's unfortunate. I wonder what the proper channel is to contact both Porsche and Michelin to ask that they qualify the CC2 for the Taycan.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Maybe I haven’t made myself clear enough.
i wanted to say that all seasons are worse in winter than winter tyres.
Also, they are worse in summer, than summer tyres.

winter are not just for snow….when temp goes down below 10C, in rain conditions, winter tyres would do the job much better than all season…. That’s how i’ve been told by experts on a training poligon, where we were driving the same cars, with different tyres…on wet corners, on parts with lots of water on road (special equiped training poligon), etc,etc.

weight of the car is also important: more weight, more meters needed to stop the car.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
https://www.tire-reviews.com/Article/2022-Tire-Reviews-Winter-Tire-Test.htm
As in previous tests the Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 wasn't the best in dry braking, and wasn't quite as balanced as some of the other tires in snow handling, but they were the only weaknesses of the LM005. The LM005 excelled in the wet grip tests with the best grip in wet handling and the shortest wet braking distances, it also won the snow braking and performed well in snow traction, had some of the lowest noise on test and the lowest rolling resistance of the top tires. A thoroughly deserved test win for the Japanese giant, congratulations to Bridgestone.
Thanks for your input.
That’s a great winter tyre with great wet performance….. for a winter tire.
All seasons are better in the wet.
And the dry.
Especially great ones like Michelin Cross Climate 2.
Most of the time in our soggy mild winters if it’s at least 7 degrees which it often is (11 degrees today) even Summer tyres are better in the wet.
The huge benefit of Winters is snow and it doesn’t snow enough here.
I like Bridgestones. I have Alenza LM001 on my Audi Etron
If I do go full Winter Tyre I will probably have the OEM NFO Good Year or Pirelli. Porsche official sanctioned tyre so the insurance company is happy.

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I've asked my dealer to put all season tires on my car and he refused.
He said for the performance of the car & security it's recommended to have summer tires (I'm on 21R) & have a separate sets on winter tires (20R).
Also EV tires are differently shaped (because of the weight of the car) than any regular car so you will have a hard time to find suitable winter tires (less options I guess). Of course it all depends on your Rim size, the bigger the harder to find obviously.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I was just looking at all season tyres as well… cross Climate 2 great under my Caravelle, heavy beast like the Taycan CT. Travelled around Europe in winter and I would not go back to swap tyres in Summer/Winter. However I think the driving pleasure will be compromised. Not sure what to do…

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
All seasons are better in the wet.
I will agree if they are AS4s or DWS06+. Something along the lines of a CrossClimate2 I would not be as sure. Your mountain/snowflake requirement really puts you towards the not so high performance part of the spectrum. I would like to see a test between the LM005 and an all weather tire/touring all season tire . I was not impressed with Nokian WRG4s.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
The point of winter tyres is to have them for when it dips below 7°C. Which is usually November, December and January in the UK, depending on where you live. The winter tyres are excellent in this time period. For these months you need to drive with care anyway due to water, ice and (less frequently), snow. For everything else you have summers on them, which perform well in the wet (but not below 9°C). That’s just how it is in the UK🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored

Last edited: