MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
My colleague in Weissach says they’re revitalizing the “960” moniker [the name of the dev car that became the Taycan] and applying it to a coupe/convertible variant. I cannot confirm this as true, but everything from my contacts within PAG has more or less come to fruition.

This is fantastic news if they can get this car under 4Klbs. with a short wheel base two-door.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My colleague in Weissach says they’re revitalizing the “960” moniker [the name of the dev car that became the Taycan] and applying it to a coupe/convertible variant. I cannot confirm this as true, but everything from my contacts within PAG has more or less come to fruition.

This is fantastic news; if they can get this car under 4Klbs. with a short wheel base two-door, my respect for this company will have been fully restored.

Thoughts?
Dammit - I'm trying to buy a bloody car here and now you're just messing with my head :)

A 2-door 'vert would be #1 for me but suspect anything like this a ways out yet!

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I'm trying to buy a bloody car here and now….
Here also, but you can’t wait forever. Taycan is a fantastic car, and the aforementioned is probably a while off, considering the re-engineering that will have to happen [one of the main reasons Taycan handles so well is it’s central pillar] before a coupe is ready.

Nurburgring testing is a good barometer. I’d keep an eye out in the next few weeks for early prototypes. If you can wait a while longer; a GTS w/ Turbo Rwd is almost assuredly debuting before end of year. Cheers

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
As long as it comes in racing yellow I’m in. The day before yesterday. :p

? ? ?

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Car & Driver test said that the Taycan was made as a 4 door because they needed the extra room for the battery pack design/range. I guess Porsche could stack some of the batteries behind the front seat?
I am for the coupe as well!

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Convertible...?
Will order immediately. (As per sign :p)
(Hoping for a 4 seater convertible!)

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag

This is fantastic news; if they can get this car under 4Klbs. with a short wheel base two-door, my respect for this company will have been fully restored.

Thoughts?
A coupe/convertible (two different iterations or a 2 door convertible?) would be awesome and I might have chosen it over the 4 door, although I'd have to see about the available interior space first.

However, there is no way such a car would come in under 4000 pounds. There would be no weight reduction in the drivetrain or batteries using current technology. And given the lightweight materials used in the Taycan body, shortening the wheelbase and eliminating two doors would have a relatively small impact. If a Taycan coupe or even heavier convertible came in under 4600 LBS it would be a major accomplishment, IMHO.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If a Taycan coupe or even heavier convertible came in under 4600 LBS it would be a major accomplishment, IMHO.
Isn’t the base Taycan under 4600 lbs?

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
A coupe/convertible (two different iterations or a 2 door convertible?) would be awesome and I might have chosen it over the 4 door, although I'd have to see about the available interior space first.

However, there is no way such a car would come in under 4000 pounds. There would be no weight reduction in the drivetrain or batteries using current technology. And given the lightweight materials used in the Taycan body, shortening the wheelbase and eliminating two doors would have a relatively small impact. If a Taycan coupe or even heavier convertible came in under 4600 LBS it would be a major accomplishment, IMHO.
It’s interesting; if you sat down any enthusiast and asked what they’d want out of an electric Porsche, I’m not sure a very large amount of people would request a sedan. But, whether by trend or by necessity, that’s what they went with. At least they debuted with a car, when everyone else is debuting their EVs as a CUV.

I think the weight reduction is possible, though it might be with an ultralight cell with less range. I’m actually ok with moderate range if the car performs.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Isn’t the base Taycan under 4600 lbs?
Well, yes: with one motor, smaller battery, and limited options the base Taycan comes in at 4566 pounds. My assumption, though, was that a Taycan coupe/convertible would be a premium model with a premium price and performance so it would need dual motors at the least and probably be fitted with the big battery. Plus, Porsches are around 150 LBS heavier in cab configuration so if a Taycan 2 door was a convertible that would have to be taken into consideration.

If they want to build a lower content model with fewer features and a lower price I suppose they could do it but given Porsche's model hierarchy I doubt they would let it outperform pricier variations.

Anyway, maybe under 4600 LBS is possible, but not under 4000. All speculation, of course. :)

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Well, yes: with one motor, smaller battery, and limited options the base Taycan comes in at 4566 pounds. My assumption, though, was that a Taycan coupe/convertible would be a premium model with a premium price and performance so it would need dual motors at the least and probably be fitted with the big battery. Plus, Porsches are around 150 LBS heavier in cab configuration so if a Taycan 2 door was a convertible that would have to be taken into consideration.

If they want to build a lower content model with fewer features and a lower price I suppose they could do it but given Porsche's model hierarchy I doubt they would let it outperform pricier variations.

Anyway, maybe under 4600 LBS is possible, but not under 4000. All speculation, of course. :)
Their new hyper car will most assuredly be under 4Klbs. and be low volume, hence https://tinyurl.com/yftru8e4.

Next gen Taycan with new series battery tech will get also get it lower in weight.