SpoilerAlert

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, 1976 911
Country flag
Long time lurker, first/time commenter. <ā€” Has this joke been (over)done? Anywhoā€¦

Hoping for a gut check on the price of a used 2021 Taycan 4S.

Build sheet MSRP: $138k
Dealer price: $140k
Mileage: 5,000
*Equipment:
āƒ Premium package with panoramic roof and massage seats,
āƒ Performance package with RAS
āƒ Performance battery plus,
āƒ 2+1 seats,
āƒ 20ā€ turbo aero wheels,
āƒ heated GT sport wheel
āƒ Passenger display
āƒ 19.2 kW on-board charger

The vehicle was driven by a Porsche executive as a press car. A title was never issued, so Iā€™m told the car is eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit.

The color combo isnā€™t what Iā€™d build (waiting on my allocation), but itā€™s not horrible; black on black. The dealer will tint the windows at no additional cost.

I constantly peruse Autotrader and Carfax and am seeing more 2021 4Sā€™ on the market for low $130s or mid $120s.

So, is this a good deal? Do you think thereā€™s room to negotiate the price?
Sponsored

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
You are paying $2k plus 5k miles to get a car today vs a year from now (maybe). Given everything the price is not terrible. I got my allocation at MSRP but I have heard of markups for some dealers for those too.

This is a personal choice. For me paying this much for a car is new and I wanted to customize it to my tastes

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think it is a fair deal. Not fair/good/excellent. Fair = reasonable. The fact is that these and most premium cars are not selling at discounts. Getting the tax credit is cool bonus. Maybe consider you're paying $2k to get a $7.5k tax deduction? If you buy a used one, you wouldn't get that. Like real estate, look at comps. There are enough data points for you to see if the car is over priced or priced at market. You just aren't going to get a discount as there really aren't any. If you can get it for MSRP, I'd say THAT is a deal about now.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Not a bad deal because of tax credit IMO. Around where I am, used Taycans are selling for around MSRP, with no tax credit. So this is really $5.5k under MSRP for a used car. Note that 2023 cars have a price hike

That said... the flipside question is, do you like all or almost all of the options on the used car? $138k is a relatively higher spec. If there's $10k in options that you wouldn't pay for yourself, and you're not thrilled on the color combo, maybe it's not worth it. For example, I was picky on optioning my RWD, and sticking to a $110k budget (ok, ended up being $111k). I got everything I really wanted and no spend on stuff I didn't want. I turned down another build that was arriving 5 months earlier that was offered at $113k with Neptune blue I wanted but missing other stuff I really wanted (Air Suspension, leather interior, RAS) and added fluff I personally didn't want (lots of gloss black trim, rear taillights in black, RS Spyder wheels, power charge port)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Long time lurker, first/time commenter. <ā€” Has this joke been (over)done? Anywhoā€¦

Hoping for a gut check on the price of a used 2021 Taycan 4S.

Build sheet MSRP: $138k
Dealer price: $140k
Mileage: 5,000
*Equipment:
āƒ Premium package with panoramic roof and massage seats,
āƒ Performance package with RAS
āƒ Performance battery plus,
āƒ 2+1 seats,
āƒ 20ā€ turbo aero wheels,
āƒ heated GT sport wheel
āƒ Passenger display
āƒ 19.2 kW on-board charger

The vehicle was driven by a Porsche executive as a press car. A title was never issued, so Iā€™m told the car is eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit.

The color combo isnā€™t what Iā€™d build (waiting on my allocation), but itā€™s not horrible; black on black. The dealer will tint the windows at no additional cost.

I constantly peruse Autotrader and Carfax and am seeing more 2021 4Sā€™ on the market for low $130s or mid $120s.

So, is this a good deal? Do you think thereā€™s room to negotiate the price?
I'd pay 2k to get a Taycan today vs. 9 months from now. and the $7500 credit is money in the bankā€¦milage on an EV is not like an ICE vehicle given the significantly longer wear cycles - nothing on an EV really wears outā€¦I'd negotiate some accessories (rubber floor mats, window shades, etc) and call it a day and drive it home.

OP
OP

SpoilerAlert

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, 1976 911
Country flag
You are paying $2k plus 5k miles to get a car today vs a year from now (maybe). Given everything the price is not terrible. I got my allocation at MSRP but I have heard of markups for some dealers for those too.

This is a personal choice. For me paying this much for a car is new and I wanted to customize it to my tastes
Not a bad deal because of tax credit IMO. Around where I am, used Taycans are selling for around MSRP, with no tax credit. So this is really $5.5k under MSRP for a used car. Note that 2023 cars have a price hike

That said... the flipside question is, do you like all or almost all of the options on the used car? $138k is a relatively higher spec. If there's $10k in options that you wouldn't pay for yourself, and you're not thrilled on the color combo, maybe it's not worth it. For example, I was picky on optioning my RWD, and sticking to a $110k budget (ok, ended up being $111k). I got everything I really wanted and no spend on stuff I didn't want. I turned down another build that was arriving 5 months earlier that was offered at $113k with Neptune blue I wanted but missing other stuff I really wanted (Air Suspension, leather interior, RAS) and added fluff I personally didn't want (lots of gloss black trim, rear taillights in black, RS Spyder wheels, power charge port)
Honestly, the car has most of the features I want. Iā€™d personally want a different color combination and upgraded leather, but thatā€™s about it.

It does have a 3 inch superficial scratch on the rear bumper, but they will buff/paint/fix it.

I like your perspective, Iā€™m paying $5.5k under MSRP to get a car now vs who knows when.

OP
OP

SpoilerAlert

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, 1976 911
Country flag
I'd pay 2k to get a Taycan today vs. 9 months from now. and the $7500 credit is money in the bankā€¦milage on an EV is not like an ICE vehicle given the significantly longer wear cycles - nothing on an EV really wears outā€¦I'd negotiate some accessories (rubber floor mats, window shades, etc) and call it a day and drive it home.
Negotiating floor mats and window shades is a great idea. Alright, Iā€™m going to sign the paperwork. Thx

OP
OP

SpoilerAlert

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, 1976 911
Country flag
I think it is a fair deal. Not fair/good/excellent. Fair = reasonable. The fact is that these and most premium cars are not selling at discounts. Getting the tax credit is cool bonus. Maybe consider you're paying $2k to get a $7.5k tax deduction? If you buy a used one, you wouldn't get that. Like real estate, look at comps. There are enough data points for you to see if the car is over priced or priced at market. You just aren't going to get a discount as there really aren't any. If you can get it for MSRP, I'd say THAT is a deal about now.
True. Most of the comps arenā€™t specā€™d as well. And it is reasonable. Not my ideal, but definitely reasonable.

Cv009900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
You honestly just said it yourself

ā€œThe color combo isnā€™t what Iā€™d build (waiting on my allocation), but itā€™s not horrible; black on black. The dealer will tint the windows at no additional cost.ā€

Personally I wouldnā€™t be spending 140k unless I LOVE it.

If I were you donā€™t settle. Get what you LOVE. You put in the work, youworked for that money and time to be at this moment. Get what you love.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
don't buy the car if you don't like it or have reservations/concerns - I was purely focusing the minimum 2k ADM - if you like the build I wouldn't let $2k stand between me and the vehicle - if you don't like the build price isn't the issue - don't buy the wrong car at any price - don't let modest price fluctuation keep you from a car you do likeā€¦

the question is not the price- the question is do you like/love the car?

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
True. Most of the comps arenā€™t specā€™d as well. And it is reasonable. Not my ideal, but definitely reasonable.
MSRP cars, really any vehicle, are becoming harder and harder to find. My Taycan, which will be delivered this week, is MSRP. The dealer has been selling at MSRP to local buyers for a long time. My SA recently told me I was lucky, they are now putting ADM on all allocations when they can get them. I'd say it is a fair deal if you like the car.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
A title was never issued, so Iā€™m told the car is eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit.
Told?? Get that in writing before you sign and pay anything.
Sponsored