Am i the only with a crap PCM and electronics all around?

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
not seeing anything CURRENT on this - first time Porsche owner, but, you know, i'm a human in 2022 so i know what electronics ARE and AREN'T supposed to do. Had the Taycan about 6 months, and have had issues that have finally just set me off.

Does anyone else's car:
-Have the PCM randomly reboot periodically (twice this past weekend) [see video]

-Radio stations (i guess i'm obviously old if i use radio re-sets?) RANDOMLY GET RESET about twice a month. i was assuming it was after a major or semi-major OTA update - but seriously people, c'mon. It saves seat position and other things but loses my radio presets?

-this is a funny one, like someone's playing a trick on me - but my side mirror memory - slowly starts "drooping" - about every 2 months i have to re-aim my side mirror HIGHER because they start drooping over time. Yes, exactly what you're thinking. Except i'm not crazy.

-sometimes the PCM takes at least 2-3 minutes to come on. the backup camera AND surround view come up if you hit the button or put it in reverse. The garage door sometimes do (i have those set to the diamond keys) - but the overall PCM does nothing for 2-3 minutes. this happens once every two weeks or so

i'm 90 minutes from any dealer - and i don't feel like going in for any one of these things - besides - i feel like they're gearheads and not electricians - what could they do? tell me to reboot it and send me home?

my most recent car was a volvo suv - and it had it's odd infotainment eccentricities (literally took 2-3 minutes to change profiles if you switched drivers - and couldn't do ANYTHING while it was changing) - i just didn't know if this is part of the "porsche experience" - putting up with annoying things we shouldn't have to while telling ourselves it's part of the fun of having a Porsche?

Last edited by a moderator:

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
not seeing anything CURRENT on this - first time Porsche owner, but, you know, i'm a human in 2022 so i know what electronics ARE and AREN'T supposed to do. Had the Taycan about 6 months, and have had issues that have finally just set me off.

Does anyone else's car:
-Have the PCM randomly reboot periodically (twice this past weekend) [see video]

-Radio stations (i guess i'm obviously old if i use radio re-sets?) RANDOMLY GET RESET about twice a month. i was assuming it was after a major or semi-major OTA update - but seriously people, c'mon. It saves seat position and other things but loses my radio presets?

-this is a funny one, like someone's playing a trick on me - but my side mirror memory - slowly starts "drooping" - about every 2 months i have to re-aim my side mirror HIGHER because they start drooping over time. Yes, exactly what you're thinking. Except i'm not crazy.

-sometimes the PCM takes at least 2-3 minutes to come on. the backup camera AND surround view come up if you hit the button or put it in reverse. The garage door sometimes do (i have those set to the diamond keys) - but the overall PCM does nothing for 2-3 minutes. this happens once every two weeks or so

i'm 90 minutes from any dealer - and i don't feel like going in for any one of these things - besides - i feel like they're gearheads and not electricians - what could they do? tell me to reboot it and send me home?

my most recent car was a volvo suv - and it had it's odd infotainment eccentricities (literally took 2-3 minutes to change profiles if you switched drivers - and couldn't do ANYTHING while it was changing) - i just didn't know if this is part of the "porsche experience" - putting up with annoying things we shouldn't have to while telling ourselves it's part of the fun of having a Porsche?
PCM rebooting while driving I have had. Radio stations getting reset has been reported by others a lot. I haven't hard about the side mirror memory. I've heard of Car Play or other things taking a long time to connect but I don't think I've hard of the PCM itself taking that long to start up.

Of course it's difficult to get the dealer to do anything if you can't reliably reproduce it, and that makes it extra tough when they are far away. I would try to capture as much of it on video as you can to try to convince the dealer to do something.

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
With regard to PCM rebooting - I never had that (had tons of other glitches though). The opposite problem also exists - the "Shut down PCM" doesn't do *anything* beside turning off the screen. To reboot it, I've learned the two-finger trick to enter/leave Engineering mode, which takes 2-3 minutes to do.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag

Does anyone else's car:

I would continue to document all your issues and if you can get more videos that would be ideal. It is likely you need to have your PCM replaced. It is one thing to have a few hiccups every once in a while but if it is consistent like you are seeing it is likely a hardware issue. You are going to have to be persistent to get your dealers attention so the more video documentation the better. Get Porsche involved if your dealer doesn't help you. Good luck!

OP
OP
bluegrassvroom

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
With regard to PCM rebooting - I never had that (had tons of other glitches though). The opposite problem also exists - the "Shut down PCM" doesn't do *anything* beside turning off the screen. To reboot it, I've learned the two-finger trick to enter/leave Engineering mode, which takes 2-3 minutes to do.
could you share the 2-finger trick to enter/leave engineering mode? i'd love to reboot it sometimes an yeah - that power button certainly isn't doing the trick. Thanks

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
could you share the 2-finger trick to enter/leave engineering mode? i'd love to reboot it sometimes an yeah - that power button certainly isn't doing the trick. Thanks
Press where the pink dots are, and screen will go dark after a second. Then, choose the last option, and confirm. It will reboot, starting with the PORSCHE logo.

Porsche Taycan Am i the only with a crap PCM and electronics all around? 20220125_175228

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your experience. If it were me, i'd just start making noise at the dealer: demand a comparable loaner and have them keep the car until they fix it. In WA state, they have 30days to fix the issues or it is a lemon-buyback - Kentucky is no different:
The manufacturer has a “reasonable number of attempts” to fix the vehicle. This can be shown by the same defect requiring repair four or more times in the first 12 months or 12,000 miles or the vehicle is out of service for at least 30 days total during that period (not due to parts being unavailable due to war, riots, floods, or other natural disasters).
It unfortunately isn't just porsche. In my personal experience buying GMC Yukon, Mercedes GL550, and BMW X7, 911TT, BMW M3, BMW 550 - all cars have had various gremlins, especially with electronics (mercedes takes the cake for me). There are reports like these for any car out there - no-one is immune.

The question is: what will Porsche do for you to make it right and would you be happy?

By all reports, they do own to issues and attempt to fix them to the best they can - swapping out expensive components without blinking an eye. In contrasting example, it took an organized class action to force BMW to acknowledge the rod-bearing issue in the S65 engine (E9X) and issue a revised part. I believe they still refused to extend the warranty though.

For me this is good enough.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag

Does anyone else's car:
None of this observed with my Feb 2021 build. Nor any of the other malfunctions or production quality issues mentioned on this forum.

Gratefully among the silently un-plagued majority of Taycan owners.

I agree that you should pursue remedial action.
Sponsored

Last edited: