andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I’m trying to understand the value. Is it solely to enable video (YouTube, Netflix)?

OP
OP
DubaiEye

DubaiEye

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Website
volt.ae
Vehicles
21Taycan TS,AC Cobra,Tesla X,Tesla 3,Zoe,Fiat 500e
Country flag
Just to get you guys to know my setup

in USB port one i have the Wireless Apple Carplay Dongle

Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible

https://www.amazon.ae/Carlinkit-Wir...ds=Carplay+wireless+2.0&qid=1614282796&sr=8-2

For my Second USB-C port i have the Carplay Box

i use my phone to connect the WiFi & it has built in Android software that broadcast from the Apple Carplay protocol. Technically its not a hack but more like a loophole.

Its useful for charging sessions or Traffic and if you want to watch some videos
It also has a USB port if you want to have music in a USB if needed
it also has a play store (Google) and can download Many other applications

here is a video on Youtube about it

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
So without the box you cannot watch Youtube and Netflix on the "regular" carplay?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have an iPhone (I have a Samsug phone), so I can't use Carplay without this device since Porsche has never offered Android Auto,

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So without the box you cannot watch Youtube and Netflix on the "regular" carplay?
You can only run approved apps with CarPlay, and video apps don't qualify.

Can you run the CarPlay versions of apps with this box, or is it just screen casting?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Can you run the CarPlay versions of apps with this box, or is it just screen casting?
Based on various videos I watched regarding these boxes, the box allows downloads of Android apps through the Google Play Store that can be viewed on the PCM by taking over the Carplay interface. In addition it allows screen casting. The box itself can be used as a standalone Android box that only utilizes my Samsung phone for a hotspot for an internet connection.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Does anyone know if you can use carplay on the passanger screen? Regardless of box or regular carplay. Thanks!

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I received the CarPlay AI box last night. As a reminder, I do not have an iPhone so CarPlay doesn't work with my Samsung Android phone on the Taycan. The purpose of this Box is to use the wired CarPlay interface in the Taycan and to replace the Apple environment with the Android platform that is built in the box. Other than the hotspot from my phone it does not use any of the apps on my Samsung phone.

I used the USB-C connector under the center armrest (with an adapter for the USB-A connecter that was on the cord provided with the box). Once connected it starts CarPlay on the Central Display and lauches a screen with a handful of Android versions of apps. The box has access to the Google Play Store to download additional Android versions of apps onto the box. I downloaded Waze, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube Kids, and Tubi. The downloads take some time because it uses the Hotspot on my phone to access the internet and I have only two bars of cell strength at the house. The hardest download was an update for Google Display Services.

Bottom line - It works.
Pluses:
  1. I can access apps on the larger PCM screen instead of my Samsung phone (Waze and Google Maps)
  2. Video plays on the PCM screen both when parked AND in motion.
  3. Fairly easy install.
  4. Inexpensive (less than US$230 on Amazon).
Minuses:
  1. Screen casting is limited to iPhones. I was going to try to use the apps on my phone to screen cast in lieu of downloading apps on the box.
  2. Compression rate of video and audio are high due to sources.
  3. Some buffering when using Amazon Prime Video due to reliance on cell signal for Hotspot. I did not have buffering of videos on Youtube.
  4. Touch sensitivity is inconsistent on the PCM when using the box (I switched to using Google Assistant Voice instead of typing when possible)
  5. Some of the system settings are wrong (e.g., time display is off by 12 hours). I thought it might be a problem with the GPS signal, but Waze seems to work. (fyi, it comes with a separate GPS antenna that the manufacturer says is not required for Porsches) FIXED in Settings by choosing time zone.
Thoughts: I will try a similar box from MMB to see how it performs compared to the UBISHENG box. The MMB box will screen cast for both iPhone and Android phones. The main reason I ordered this one was because it uses Android 9.0 vs Android 7.0 (MMB box) and this one was a little cheaper.

Porsche Taycan Amazon Smart Wireless for Carplay Box Works Great 20210228_091557
Porsche Taycan Amazon Smart Wireless for Carplay Box Works Great 20210228_085035_resized
Porsche Taycan Amazon Smart Wireless for Carplay Box Works Great 20210228_085012_resized
Porsche Taycan Amazon Smart Wireless for Carplay Box Works Great 20210228_090431_resized
Porsche Taycan Amazon Smart Wireless for Carplay Box Works Great 20210228_084907_resized

Last edited:

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
I received the CarPlay AI box last night. As a reminder, I do not have an iPhone so CarPlay doesn't work with my Samsung Android phone on the Taycan. The purpose of this Box is to use the wired CarPlay interface in the Taycan and to replace the Apple environment with the Android platform that is built in the box. Other than the hotspot from my phone it does not use any of the apps on my Samsung phone.

I used the USB-C connector under the center armrest (with an adapter for the USB-A connecter that was on the cord provided with the box). Once connected it starts CarPlay on the Central Display and lauches a screen with a handful of Android versions of apps. The box has access to the Google Play Store to download additional Android versions of apps onto the box. I downloaded Waze, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube Kids, and Tubi. The downloads take some time because it uses the Hotspot on my phone to access the internet and I have only two bars of cell strength at the house. The hardest download was an update for Google Display Services.

Bottom line - It works.
Pluses:
  1. I can access apps on the larger PCM screen instead of my Samsung phone (Waze and Google Maps)
  2. Video plays on the PCM screen both when parked AND in motion.
  3. Fairly easy install.
  4. Inexpensive (less than US$230 on Amazon).
Minuses:
  1. Screen casting is limited to iPhones. I was going to try to use the apps on my phone to screen cast in lieu of downloading apps on the box.
  2. Compression rate of video and audio are high due to sources.
  3. Some buffering when using Amazon Prime Video due to reliance on cell signal for Hotspot. I did not have buffering of videos on Youtube.
  4. Touch sensitivity is inconsistent on the PCM when using the box (I switched to using Google Assistant Voice instead of typing when possible)
  5. Some of the system settings are wrong (e.g., time display is off by 12 hours). I thought it might be a problem with the GPS signal, but Waze seems to work. (fyi, it comes with a separate GPS antenna that the manufacturer says is not required for Porsches) FIXED in Settings by choosing time zone.
Thoughts: I will try a similar box from MMB to see how it performs compared to the UBISHENG box. The MMB box will screen cast for both iPhone and Android phones. The main reason I ordered this one was because it uses Android 9.0 vs Android 7.0 (MMB box) and this one was a little cheaper.

20210228_091557.jpg
20210228_085035_resized.jpg
20210228_085012_resized.jpg
20210228_090431_resized.jpg
20210228_084907_resized.jpg
your car is my21 or 20?

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
your car is my21 or 20?
My car is MY20. I have used the UBISHENG box for several days now. I still have mixed feelings. The touch controls are temperamental (I have found it best to drag the back and stop buttons towards the middle of the screen to work properly). The buffering depends on the quality of the hotspot. If you want to watch high quality video it is probably best to use a USB memory stick with the device instead of trying to stream in real time. The most consistent use with no buffering is Youtube videos and content. I have the MMB box on order, but it looks like it is delayed.
Sponsored