Ambient lighting - what’s lit without it?

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I’d not noticed the ambient lighting option until today and haven’t specced it. Without the option ticked, what interior lights are there as standard? Is it just the overhead lights when the door opens, or are there guide lights for door handles etc?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Just read standard spec list, footwells seem lit, possibly not door handles

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@Dabz , did you get your car? I'm wondering if door pockets have some sort of light.

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
@Dabz , did you get your car? I'm wondering if door pockets have some sort of light.
Not yet, April slipped to May which has clearly slipped to June but can’t get a response from my dealer to find out for sure. I’ve got a VIN so hoping for early June (and still hoping for door lights!)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'll try and remember to take a photo next time I'm in mine in the dark. And then post it up here.

I'm not a huge fan of ambient lighting tbh. My wife's BMW has it and I just find it a little bit distracting at night.

Reactions: B61

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
At 100% brightness it might be distracting but you can dim it, change color or turn it off.
However its nice to have illuminated door pockets, door handle and cupholders.
I've found a used Taycan Turbo without ambient lighting and wonder what interior lights are standard.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'll try and remember to take a photo next time I'm in mine in the dark. And then post it up here.

I'm not a huge fan of ambient lighting tbh. My wife's BMW has it and I just find it a little bit distracting at night.
I like mine so I never checked but isn’t there a way to turn them off?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I like mine so I never checked but isn’t there a way to turn them off?
Yes, you can dim them to 0% luminosity. The annoying bits - which aren't controlled/part of the 'ambient' set - will remain on: seat memory controls, console illuminating light in the ceiling, possibly others.

(edited for clarity)
(2nd edit) - 'seat controls' was meant to be 'memory controls'; see @Moonstone 's much clearer list below.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
I’ve covered this in another thread as my car came without it and it was something that I had spec’s on my original order.

What you get:
Lower door pockets on all the time.
Door handles on all the time.
Footwell lights on with roof lights. Then they go out.

That’s it.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So the standard is missing door led strips, cupholders led rings and storage light under central console.
Maybe some lights can be retrofitted, not because I want any fancy lighting, just because I’d like enough light for practical purposes.

I wonder if Burmester grills are illuminated.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
So the standard is missing door led strips, cupholders led rings and storage light under central console.
Maybe some lights can be retrofitted, not because I want any fancy lighting, just because I’d like enough light for practical purposes.

I wonder if Burmester grills are illuminated.
Burmester grille are not illuminated. Retrofitting all those parts would be a PITA + you'd need to code the software to add the function to the PCM.

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can post a picture later today (me has Burmester without extended ambient light).

I was also afraid that I’ll miss extended ambient light. In the end, I don’t even notice the lack of that :D

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Burmester grille are not illuminated. Retrofitting all those parts would be a PITA + you'd need to code the software to add the function to the PCM.

Only if you wanted them to be able to change colour. Otherwise it’s not necessary and you can simple take a feed from the existing LED drivers. This is what I’m in the process of doing.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also worth noting that the standard ambient lighting uses the same lower door pocket strip with one led driver at at one end, whereas the upgraded option uses one at each end.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I can post a picture later today (me has Burmester without extended ambient light).
That would be helpful, thanks!

Only if you wanted them to be able to change colour. Otherwise it’s not necessary and you can simple take a feed from the existing LED drivers. This is what I’m in the process of doing.
Let me know how it goes. I don't need the colors, however would be nice to have the fancy Burmester speakers grille illuminated.

Really wonder why Porsche didn't offer this option as FOD, it cost them exactly $10 for LED's.
Sponsored