Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
“Set on ECO mode with A/C off”. Anyone with EV knowledge knows it no big trick to get 35-40% better range with super conservative “hyper mill” driving. This only confirms you and I driving “normally” will be lucky indeed to reach 200 miles. Performance driving being repeatable is of no value if you don’t have battery power. Drive in sport or sport plus mode and drive like you on a proper sports car and you’ll be lucky to get much over 125 miles range.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yup that's why I put the EPA range. Aggressive driving will really kill range and this is the first EV meant to be driving aggressively all the time which is just kind of at odds with itself.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yup that's why I put the EPA range. Aggressive driving will really kill range and this is the first EV meant to be driving aggressively all the time which is just kind of at odds with itself.
Why? Other sports cars also don't have specifically large fuel tank capacity...

TaycanNut

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari California
Country flag
AMIC numbers are based on 75 year old grandmother driving
EPA numbers are based on real world Porsche driving.
Who here buys a Taycan to drive 55 mph in the granny lane?
A Taycan is made to be driven hard.
Porsche blew the design of the Taycan. It made it too small (think Panamera size) and hence battery too small and hence range stinks. The back seat would have had more leg room had they made the Taycan the size of the Panamera, and the larger battery would have pushed the real world range closer to 300 miles - the magic number.
What is troubling is that the Tesla Performance Model S gets over 150 more miles of range and at the Nurburgring around the 14-mile lap the Model S buried the Taycan. The upcoming Tesla Roadster will bury both of them.......by a wide margin.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why? Other sports cars also don't have specifically large fuel tank capacity...
Last I checked those other (ICE) sports cars can fully refuel in less than 5 minutes from millions of locations around the globe.

The 100Kw Model S Performance is getting 1.75 times the range of the 93kw Taycan! (348 vs 201 EPA) So it's not like you can blame this on the Taycan's CoD or wider tires or driving around at 100% throttle all the time(no one does that not even on a race track)

Porsche doesn't seem to be nearly as optimized as Tesla and they are holding 10% of the battery in "reserve" I understand that this will ensure fewer warranty or battery related issues for them, but it means you are lugging around that 10% as dead weight when it could be useful range. Tesla gives the full battery and has 7 year old high use/ high mileage vehicles out there showing very little battery degradation.

Last edited:

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
A Taycan is made to be driven hard.
Porsche blew the design of the Taycan. It made it too small (think Panamera size) and hence battery too small and hence range stinks. The back seat would have had more leg room had they made the Taycan the size of the Panamera, and the larger battery would have pushed the real world range closer to 300 miles - the magic number.
What is troubling is that the Tesla Performance Model S gets over 150 more miles of range and at the Nurburgring around the 14-mile lap the Model S buried the Taycan. The upcoming Tesla Roadster will bury both of them.......by a wide margin.
"AMIC numbers are based on 75 year old grandmother driving"

And you know this how?

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"AMIC numbers are based on 75 year old grandmother driving"

And you know this how?
Guess you didn't click the link:
"Specific to the AMCI Testing City/Highway Route:
  • The Taycan Turbo was operated in Normal Mode with Regen set to “Auto” and HVAC to “ECO”
  • Driving was precisely coordinated at the speed of traffic up to and including the legal speed limit during city driving, and up to 5 MPH over the legal limit on highways
Specific to the AMCI Testing City Route:
  • The Taycan Turbo was operated in Range Mode with Regen set to “On” and HVAC to “Off”
  • Driving was precisely coordinated at the speed of traffic up to and including the legal speed limit"

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
  • Driving was precisely coordinated at the speed of traffic up to and including the legal speed limit during city driving, and up to 5 MPH over the legal limit on highways
Did anyone expect that a company is going to announce that their methodology is to speed (more than 5 mph over the limit) on public roads?

Nope, you are making things up. The EPA does not do "real world Porsche driving" - they don't even take the car on the road. LOL.

AMIC does actually drive the car on the road.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  • The Taycan Turbo was operated in Normal Mode with Regen set to “Auto” and HVAC to “ECO”
  • The Taycan Turbo was operated in Range Mode with Regen set to “On” and HVAC to “Off”
  • Driving was precisely coordinated at the speed of traffic up to and including the legal speed limit"
i wonder how much fiddling these settings explains the difference. Auto regen (traffic camera adjusted) wouldn’t work on a dynamo, and HVAC settings make a huge difference on all EVs.

EPA tests like a blind 90 yro grandmother btw.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
“Set on ECO mode with A/C off”. Anyone with EV knowledge knows it no big trick to get 35-40% better range with super conservative “hyper mill” driving.
Interesting that you selectively quote and neglected this part: "The Taycan Turbo was operated in Normal Mode with Regen set to “Auto” and HVAC to “ECO”" That along with driving 5 mph above the speed limit is not hypermiling. Why would you do that selective quoting?

BTW, the difference was only 5% between the too modes, hardly a "big trick to get 35-40% better range with super conservative "hyper-mill" (SIC) driving". LOL

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Last I checked those other (ICE) sports cars can fully refuel in less than 5 minutes from millions of locations around the globe.
If you don't want to be part of the new exciting world of EV driving and keep polluting your local area...

The 100Kw Model S...
If you want to enjoy sitting in a pile of junk on a big battery, please go ahead. But may I remind you that this is a Porsche Taycan forum.

BliXem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
Figures like 21.6 Kwh / 100km is not bad at all! In winter time I have 23.0 Kwh/100km with my Tesla Model 3...

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
No, I think it's you who interpreted the info to suit your pro-Tesla view. How does any of this say the car was driven like a grandmother does? They didn't flog the car; they drove it normally.

I'd be more interested in what the EPA is doing different from pretty much everyone else. My gut feel is that Tesla optimized things to maximize range for the EPA testing (which they are free to do) and Porsche didn't.
Sponsored