AMCI & EPA Taycan Turbo Range results

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
WLTP have the Taycan the range of 450 km (279 miles), which is only 50km or 31 miles less than what Porsche expected to be able to produced. And of course Porsche goes for European measurement, not American. How accurate all the different measurements with the Taycan are, we will see in the spring.

Here are some measurements of accuracy of the WLTP for other vehicles that have a track record in Europe.
WLTP range vs real world driving: (percent of WLTP range actually achieved)
97% for Kona
92% for the Zoe,
78% for the Leaf and
67% for the i-Pace.
To maybe the Taycan estimate will be like the iPace, but maybe like the Leaf....we will see in a few months!! Real World range obviously has to do with how you drive the car. Gas powered 911 also vary greatly http://www.fuelly.com/car/porsche/911 You literally can see on the bell curve of mpg of the 911 ICE and guess how people drive the 911. If you drive your Taycan locally, drive it the way you want and charge it to 80% every night, and you probably will get 300km range (190 miles). If you are going long haul, drive in eco mode at the speed limit and you probably will get the 450km

Who buys a Porsche for fuel efficiency?

How many people buy a Porsche for long-haul driving? For most the Porsche is their second car for enjoyment of life, like a boat, not transportation to get from point a to b. I have only put 26,000 miles on my current one in 7 years. My previous one I had for 12 years and put 36,000 miles. Compare that to 254,000 miles I put on my Acura MDX in 12 years. If you want a car for long haul driving, then obviously the Taycan is not the right car for you. (I am getting the Taycan for weekend driving, and stay at home wife's driving, the Tesla Y to replace the MDX).

For almost all European and Chinese drivers, the 320km to 450km is more than sufficient, but maybe not for North Americans. Would we all rather have more range of course, but Porsche owners want a car that drives like a Porsche, not a transporter ie. Hyundai Kona, Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, Tesla, etc

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
WLTP have the Taycan the range of 450 km (279 miles), which is only 50km or 31 miles less than what Porsche expected to be able to produced. And of course Porsche goes for European measurement, not American. How accurate all the different measurements with the Taycan are, we will see in the spring.

Here are some measurements of accuracy of the WLTP for other vehicles that have a track record in Europe.
WLTP range vs real world driving: (percent of WLTP range actually achieved)
97% for Kona
92% for the Zoe,
78% for the Leaf and
67% for the i-Pace.
To maybe the Taycan estimate will be like the iPace, but maybe like the Leaf....we will see in a few months!! Real World range obviously has to do with how you drive the car. Gas powered 911 also vary greatly http://www.fuelly.com/car/porsche/911 You literally can see on the bell curve of mpg of the 911 ICE and guess how people drive the 911. If you drive your Taycan locally, drive it the way you want and charge it to 80% every night, and you probably will get 300km range (190 miles). If you are going long haul, drive in eco mode at the speed limit and you probably will get the 450km

Who buys a Porsche for fuel efficiency?

How many people buy a Porsche for long-haul driving? For most the Porsche is their second car for enjoyment of life, like a boat, not transportation to get from point a to b. I have only put 26,000 miles on my current one in 7 years. My previous one I had for 12 years and put 36,000 miles. Compare that to 254,000 miles I put on my Acura MDX in 12 years. If you want a car for long haul driving, then obviously the Taycan is not the right car for you. (I am getting the Taycan for weekend driving, and stay at home wife's driving, the Tesla Y to replace the MDX).

For almost all European and Chinese drivers, the 320km to 450km is more than sufficient, but maybe not for North Americans. Would we all rather have more range of course, but Porsche owners want a car that drives like a Porsche, not a transporter ie. Hyundai Kona, Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, Tesla, etc
It will not be my A to B car as well. Mine will be after work, date night, weekends etc. That is about it. Range will not be an issue for me but I sure hope it lands somewhere a bit higher than EPA for resale someday but I am not letting that stop me. I wanted this vehicle for a long time, signed up so long ago that I got pole position at the dealer and I am really looking forward to it. I do think once it is out on the road those that backed off orders will be replaced in mass because of it's appearance by new buyers that are ok and don't have the range anxiety .

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If you want to enjoy sitting in a pile of junk on a big battery, please go ahead. But may I remind you that this is a Porsche Taycan forum.
Yes it's a Porsche form, so we must ignore facts and only talk about Porsche cars? Get off your high horse. Other cars can be better in other areas, it doesn't mean I want one. If it was ONLY about price vs performance vs range we'd all be buying Model 3 Performance EVs and we aren't. We are all here because we are interested in the Taycan or will be future owners of them. It doesn't change the facts about the range differences. The Taycan is doing a lot less range with nearly the same size battery Porsche forum or not.

No, I think it's you who interpreted the info to suit your pro-Tesla view.
What are you talking about? I've owned 8 Porsche's and have a deposit on a Taycan Turbo. I've owned ZERO Teslas.
The range on the Model S is greater than the Taycan and that's not a "pro-Tesla view" its a fact (not my opinion).

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It will not be my A to B car as well. Mine will be after work, date night, weekends etc. That is about it. Range will not be an issue for me but I sure hope it lands somewhere a bit higher than EPA for resale someday but I am not letting that stop me. I wanted this vehicle for a long time, signed up so long ago that I got pole position at the dealer and I am really looking forward to it. I do think once it is out on the road those that backed off orders will be replaced in mass because of it's appearance by new buyers that are ok and don't have the range anxiety .
I really start to wonder what segment and use Porsche aimed the Taycan at?? For the use case as above you would not need the large luggage compartment? Would you need four seats?

I love the specs of the car, the handling as per all the journalist have confirmed, the performance, the look, the build quality etc. However I wished the range would be a bit better? My thought was that Porsche aimed the car to be a GT with the handling of a sports car. Not an all out sports car. In my view they would have had only two seats for a true sports car?
I am also very surprised about the different predictions of range that are surfacing now.
And I think Porsche are also very surprised! Why else would they commission an independent test of range? Strange??

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
I really start to wonder what segment and use Porsche aimed the Taycan at?? For the use case as above you would not need the large luggage compartment? Would you need four seats?

I love the specs of the car, the handling as per all the journalist have confirmed, the performance, the look, the build quality etc. However I wished the range would be a bit better? My thought was that Porsche aimed the car to be a GT with the handling of a sports car. Not an all out sports car. In my view they would have had only two seats for a true sports car?
I am also very surprised about the different predictions of range that are surfacing now.
And I think Porsche are also very surprised! Why else would they commission an independent test of range? Strange??
All Good Points. I am divorced but have 2 kids so yes on the seats. But my story is 100% unique. I suffered a ruptured aortic aneurysm on top of my heart in 2016. I was given almost no chance to make it , enough where they called me a celebrity in the hospital after surgery. So while in critical care I saw the mission E online because all I could do was get online in between morphine drips . So super long story short I said if I make it out, I am securing the kids college etc. and I am buying that fucking car.....LOL. So I made it and this is just part of my bucket list. Kids will be ok financially if my chest explodes again and in the meantime I am going to enjoy life more and work less!

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Remember the EPA is currently being run by people that have NO interest in protecting the environment, dislike electric vehicles, and current US administration considers German imports a threat to national security. Two European and one Califorina agency have similar range predictions and EPA has another.....dont we love silly consipiracy theories.....LOL ...Actually, in seriousness, it will be very interested to see the results this spring.

Whether a car has 200, 280 or 350 range, I will be charging it to 80% every night even though I average 41 miles per day driving.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m surprised anyone is surprised. The Audi e-Tron got almost identical results, and this is only a little worse than what folks guessed from WLPT results. The Audi is based on the same J1 architecture.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
Posting here as well for those that think range and being able to use “ electrify America” will help:

Audi etron owners are disappointed, as usual, media doesn’t want to bash their paying advertisers:

Audi e-tron Owner May Wish He'd Chosen A Tesla Due To Charging Issues

Here’s a link to the audi forum with first hand experience in etron failures:

Charging Failure - AudiWorld Forums

Parts take 4 weeks to replace.

Road Trip Aborted - Disappointing - AudiWorld Forums

Their customers are relying on PlugShare charging rate of 20 miles per hour.

Locked charge port door solution and another terrible holiday trip failure by Audi/EA - AudiWorld Forums

No wonder etron sales have been low, their customers still suffer from major range anxiety, this one is waiting for the Taycan lol.

Waiting for the Taycan because the e-tron's EPA sucks? The wait is over! - AudiWorld Forums

Audi’s battery degradation problems:

Car suddenly has half the normal range - AudiWorld Forums

The day I started using the a/c it chopped the range in half.

Instant range disappearance, battery modules? - AudiWorld Forums

More battery problems.

gradual loss of range - AudiWorld Forums

We've had our e-Tron (Edition One) for over 6 months now. Initially range was fine - pretty near the advertised 200ish mile range - and pretty consistent. Over the last month or two we've seen range gradually go lower and it is now ~30% less than when new. Driving style is the same - split between freeway usage (but not long distances) and around town (low/mid speeds). The primary change has been the weather is colder. We are in Northern California, so it's not that cold.

No over the air updates?

Over-the-air updates? - AudiWorld Forums

There are no over the air software updates. Only map updates. The rumor mill indeed said there will be some additional features available if you pay for them that would get activated over the air. No idea when those are going live.

No OTA updates except Maps, no additional function purchases even though it was supposed to launch mid 2019. MMI is buggy as hell and Audi in the US can’t answer when a software update will be available nor do they have any clue what you’re talking about when asking for a launch date on additional functions.

Maybe they should’ve hidden the damn purchases menu until it was ready to launch. I’ve complained to the dealer and Audi of America multiple times over all the issues and they just try and blame each other. They’re living under a rock!

lots of Bugs in Audi software and looks confusing:

MMI Software Version - AudiWorld Forums

Given the number of issues people are experiencing with MMI buggyness I thought this could be a good place to post our software versions. If versions are different then it's time to go to the dealer and demand a software update

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I’m surprised anyone is surprised. The Audi e-Tron got almost identical results, and this is only a little worse than what folks guessed from WLPT results. The Audi is based on the same J1 architecture.
But isn’t that a surprise in itself? I believe the Audi has the same stated battery capacity?
The Taycan is 1000 ponds lighter. The Taycan has a much better cd value 0.22 vs the Audi that must be like a barn door through the air. And the Taycan has a 800 volt architecture, which was said to be much more efficient.
Yet the Taycan has worse range?
Something does not seem correct with the EPA rating... ????

I am not promoting any conspiracy theory. :lipssealed:

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But isn’t that a surprise in itself? I believe the Audi has the same stated battery capacity?
The Taycan is 1000 ponds lighter. The Taycan has a much better cd value 0.22 vs the Audi that must be like a barn door through the air. And the Taycan has a 800 volt architecture, which was said to be much more efficient.
Yet the Taycan has worse range?
Something does not seem correct with the EPA rating... ????

I am not promoting any conspiracy theory. :lipssealed:
Looking at how EPA test the vehicles (https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml), I believe the methodology is not a good fit for Taycan on how Porsche basically requires the driver to use the brake to regen energy. For a vehicle that regen energy by lifting off the gas peddle, they are more likely to regen more energy throughout the test cycle.

I'm looking forward to real world driving range numbers before making up my mind on how good or bad Taycan is with range.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Guess you didn't click the link:
"Specific to the AMCI Testing City/Highway Route:
  • The Taycan Turbo was operated in Normal Mode with Regen set to “Auto” and HVAC to “ECO”
  • Driving was precisely coordinated at the speed of traffic up to and including the legal speed limit during city driving, and up to 5 MPH over the legal limit on highways
Specific to the AMCI Testing City Route:
  • The Taycan Turbo was operated in Range Mode with Regen set to “On” and HVAC to “Off”
  • Driving was precisely coordinated at the speed of traffic up to and including the legal speed limit"
No, you guessed wrong. I did click on the link. My question was how do you interpret the AMCI testing as how a grandmother drives the car? Seems to me it gives you a pretty good idea on mileage someone might see who's just driving the car from A to B.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Tesla is an amazing car, and one of the first thing they needed to address was range and how practical the car would be for everyday use. They've done an amazing job at this, and for an 'everyday car' I would agree that Tesla is the state of the art. It's kind of funny to me that we're comparing a Porsche to a Tesla on these forums, because the design and market objectives were completely different. Porsche set out to develop a high performance car that was consistent with the Porsche brand and performance. Who in the world looks at Porsche as the gas mileage, sustainability or practicality standpoint. If you want a car that gets good mileage, or is practical, or focuses on 'sustainability', why would you buy a Porsche? Basically we're talking about the worst gas mileage, the least practical and the worst cars from an environmental standpoint. Certainly I would like the range to be much better, and we were led to believe it would be. But the Porsche engineers made decisions and compromises to get this car to market. I'm not happy about the range either, but I believe the engineers made the compromises based on developing the best performing (and best looking) sedan on the planet. They've succeeded in spades here, and if you're looking for a car that places more emphasis on range, sustainability and practicality as your choice, this is not your car. I can't wait to get my car with its highly inefficient summer tires.

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If the real world numbers are anywhere close to what Porsche did on their trip from Niagara Falls to New York (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...gara-falls-road-trip-new-york-city-18578.html), I would be really happy. I know that it is a Porsche PR article, so taken with a grain of salt, but the article claims a charging stop after travelling 250 miles with reported 39 miles left in the batteries. Even if I do not count the 39 miles left, with 250 miles on a full charge will address my one day sightseeing trips.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
If the real world numbers are anywhere close to what Porsche did on their trip from Niagara Falls to New York (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...gara-falls-road-trip-new-york-city-18578.html), I would be really happy. I know that it is a Porsche PR article, so taken with a grain of salt, but the article claims a charging stop after travelling 250 miles with reported 39 miles left in the batteries. Even if I do not count the 39 miles left, with 250 miles on a full charge will address my one day sightseeing trips.
I would also love that. My problem is that I have done that drive, and the elevation change is quite dramatic. So I suspect that the trip in reverse would be very challenging. When I saw the article, it actually made me worry that the range was less than 200 miles. EPA is a little disappointing, but based on experiences like Porsche's I was expecting/hoping for 225.
Sponsored