AMCI & EPA Taycan Turbo Range results

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
If the real world numbers are anywhere close to what Porsche did on their trip from Niagara Falls to New York (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...gara-falls-road-trip-new-york-city-18578.html), I would be really happy. I know that it is a Porsche PR article, so taken with a grain of salt, but the article claims a charging stop after travelling 250 miles with reported 39 miles left in the batteries. Even if I do not count the 39 miles left, with 250 miles on a full charge will address my one day sightseeing trips.
Here is a review of the Taycan from a BIGTIME Tesla fan
https://teslanomics.co/uploader/teslanomics/

He with Teslarati tested a Taycan in Southern California for 10 hours. Even rode it hard and in the mountains. He estimated range on their all day trip for the vehicle to have a range of 268 miles (actual measurement). This is actually a great objective review from someone that is not a Porsche fan.

Three agencies have estimated range of 250 to 280, yet EPA says 201. hmmmmm. Wishfully thinking that maybe the EPA methodology is faulty
Sponsored

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
Here is a review of the Taycan from a BIGTIME Tesla fan
https://teslanomics.co/uploader/teslanomics/

He with Teslarati tested a Taycan in Southern California for 10 hours. Even rode it hard and in the mountains. He estimated range on their all day trip for the vehicle to have a range of 268 miles (actual measurement). This is actually a great objective review from someone that is not a Porsche fan.

Three agencies have estimated range of 250 to 280, yet EPA says 201. hmmmmm. Wishfully thinking that maybe the EPA methodology is faulty
Maybe not actually faulty, but open to interpretation: https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-porsche-taycan-turbos-epa-range-is-so-bad-1840444842

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
So Mike, the conclusion I read from your post is that EPA is WRONG and CARB and the two European agencies as well as Porsche are correct in a 280 mile range. Another part left off of the previous post is that EPA uses 55% highway driving and 45% city driving, which may reflect American driving habits but no European and Chinese. But if driven in cold weather, adverse conditions it will have less range.

Ben Sullins together with Teslarati were allowed to have a Taycan all day for testing and got a range of 268 and they drive it hard in Southern California. See my other posts on other threads concerning range for the link to his very good and objective review from the persepective of a Tesla Fanboi

Here is another post very interesting:
https://jalopnik.com/why-no-one-is-beating-teslas-range-1837952903

As you can seee from this article, Porsche and Audi have much more sophisticated battery temperature, motor and axle maintenance systems which actually draws a lot of power, but also explains why the Tesla can NOT do repetitive performance while the Porsche can. Then there are many other factors, such as types of tires and even the PSI in the tires as well as the type of rim.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Every review on this car basically says it is the best looking, best performing sports sedan on the planet. And not just by a 95 vs 88 score, it is a 100 vs a 50 compared to pretty much every other sports sedan. Looks, handling, acceleration and performance - I have never seen reviews like this, where every single one of the reviewers goes 'whoa!' And then giggles like a schoolgirl at the acceleration. In addition, the handling and how well the car is planted on the road is universally praised. The only performance negatives are the weight, and the fact that you need to pay close attention to how fast you're going because your braking point might need to be a bit earlier than you think.

The price and range are the only real issues, and really - if you're buying a Porsche, are these anywhere near the top of your priority list?

I'm not totally objective here, because I'm lucky enough to have an electrify America station one mile from my home, and quite a few along the highways that I'll be driving. I also have a home with a two car garage, and that's where we're going to stay - but I do have the resources to put the best possible car in that one spot, for all my needs. I am very disappointed with the production delay, but couldn't be happier with the car Porsche has developed, and the decisions they made.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yes, the jalopnik article may well help explain the EPA low figure, as well as the poster above who noted that EPA (under the current anti-environmental atmosphere in the Trump administration) may intentionally lower EV range estimates, because the Trump administration is very anti-EV (and I don't mean this as a political remark, but simply as a matter-of-fact observation). I think that we will all be eager to hear from first buyers of the Taycan this coming year, to see what real-world ranges come up. Most Taycan buyers are not going to buy Taycans because of any range numbers on a full charge, anyway; most Taycan owners are not going to drive more than 100-150 miles from home (unless it's 160 miles to the ski lodge or to their second home in the mountains and they can charge there), because most Taycan owners are not going to ever fool with public charging.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes, the jalopnik article may well help explain the EPA low figure, as well as the poster above who noted that EPA (under the current anti-environmental atmosphere in the Trump administration) may intentionally lower EV range estimates, because the Trump administration is very anti-EV (and I don't mean this as a political remark, but simply as a matter-of-fact observation). I think that we will all be eager to hear from first buyers of the Taycan this coming year, to see what real-world ranges come up. Most Taycan buyers are not going to buy Taycans because of any range numbers on a full charge, anyway; most Taycan owners are not going to drive more than 100-150 miles from home (unless it's 160 miles to the ski lodge or to their second home in the mountains and they can charge there), because most Taycan owners are not going to ever fool with public charging.
The EPA range is what it is. It is a lab test and with a lot of variables. I do not really know much about these testing cycles, but trying to read up on the methodology, I feel there were too many variables that were simulated. And there seem to be some correction factors applied as well, so that EPA would not have a backlash from customers feeling cheated about the range? I can not comment on the above political influence though, but hey we are talking about USA, so everything is possible??

I question for instance how the low air resistance value, cd value, for the Taycan really can be simulated or taken into account? Lower than a 911! Since air resistance increases with the power of two with speed increases, this surely will have a significant benefit for the Taycan. I have seen graphs by Abetterrouteplanner about the impact of different speeds on Tesla models. It will be very interesting to see this for the Taycan, as well as the benefit of the two gears in the Gearbox.

I really look forward to hearing reports from this forum members with real life driving experience and real range figures. I feel that the range will likely be around 250 miles, based on so many reports from early testers. And the tests were a better reflection of real driving. Perhaps a bit more use than normal with the fast pedal??

I have no hesitation to order a car, having studied all the reviewers articles and videos. I am just waiting for the french importer to release the lighter colour interior, which is available in Germany, UK and US, but not here. I am also hoping that there will be more updates about the 22kW charging options soon.

Last edited:

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Regarding the EPA testing protocol for BEVs: it's silent about regenerative braking. In the Taycan, the default behavior is that the car coasts (without regenerative braking) when the driver lets off the accelerator, because that is how sports cars normally behave. Battery charging only occurs when the driver brakes or in certain cruise control settings. That contrasts with the behavior of other BEVs, which, by default, regenerate whenever the driver lets off the accelerator. This could account for a significant difference in EPA ratings between brands.

Also note that battery chemistry is everything when it comes to range and recharging, and there’s growing consensus that the batteries available around 2025 will be substantially higher in charge density than today’s. Taycan batteries are readily replaceable and therefore future-proofed. As quoted in Jalopnik, battery pack replacement is “’...really quite easy,’ claims Steffen König, who led the Taycan’s body design.” As someone waitlisted for a Taycan, I’m buying an amazing car with an ok battery pack, but I can upgrade to an amazing battery pack in a few years.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Once the Electrify America https://www.electrifyamerica.com network is dense enough traveling long distances with the Taycan should be as good as it gets. This shows very clearly how rapid charging of a Taycan works:

Sponsored