isrihel

First Name
Inderjit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am wondering if somebody know how much difference in quality and amount of leather there are in these
3 Taycan versions

Standard interior
Standard interior with 18 V seats
Full leather
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Standard leather: Seat centers (front and rear), Inner seat bolsters (front and rear)
Note: Steering wheel rim in smooth-finish leather.
Standard w/18-way: same.
Full (smooth) leather:
  • Seat bolsters (front and rear)
  • Headrests (front and rear)
  • Dashboard upper, front and lower sections
  • Center console main storage compartment lid
  • Center console side panel
  • Door armrests (front and rear)
  • Center door trim (front and rear)
  • Door panels (front and rear)
  • Decorative areas in the doors (front and rear)
The quality is not as premium with standard interiors. Textured pleather type material vs. soft smooth real leather. I wouldn't order a Porsche without full leather.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Few other threads on this already... most seem to prefer the full leather. I find it one of the worst value full leather products on the market at the price point and 7k Olea Club leather to be downright theft. The interior, to me, is more 'synthetic' feeling with the screens and the standard interior compliments that well. As mentioned above the standard interior dying also pops a good bit more than full and Olea, which has earthier more natural tones. For example Standard leather is pure jet black, but the full and Olea Club leather have blueish and grey undertones. If you want to spend almost 10k on an interior get a Bentley GT and all the classic design to go along with it.

IMO The standard interior to be very high quality and I turned down and Olea packaged one on the lot. The synthetic leather covers almost all the same places except for the back top dash. And it lacks the stitching.

But to each their own.

Last edited:

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Few other threads on this already... most seem to prefer the full leather. I find it one of the worst value full leather products on the market at the price point and 7k Olea Club leather to be downright theft. The interior, to me, is more 'synthetic' feeling with the screens and the standard interior compliments that well. As mentioned above the standard interior dying also pops a good bit more than full and Olea, which has earthier more natural tones. For example Standard leather is pure jet black, but the full and Olea Club leather have blueish and grey undertones. If you want to spend almost 10k on an interior get a Bentley GT and all the classic design to go along with it.

IMO The standard interior to be very high quality and I turned down and Olea packaged one on the lot. The synthetic leather covers almost all the same places except for the back top dash. And it lacks the stitching.

But to each their own.
Pretty much how I feel. The siren song of a truffle brown interior sometimes calls, but it's so hard to justify the cost.

If you're not on a tight budget, go for the full leather. I typically build my car within a set budget, and I find the value of the full leather in most Porsche vehicles to not really be worth the cost they charge, and I would rather spend that coin elsewhere.

RobbieRed

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross tourismo
Country flag
Pretty much how I feel. The siren song of a truffle brown interior sometimes calls, but it's so hard to justify the cost.

If you're not on a tight budget, go for the full leather. I typically build my car within a set budget, and I find the value of the full leather in most Porsche vehicles to not really be worth the cost they charge, and I would rather spend that coin elsewhere.
I know what you mean. The confuserator is a dangerous thing. Before you know it you are looking at spending the kind of money that can lead to a divorce! It’s crazy what they charge for options, but if you want the car to feel special you are forced to pay it or end up feeling a little disappointed - I ended up at 100k which is crazy based on how much I earn, and how I see other things in life, but hey ho. It’s only money!

OP
OP

isrihel

First Name
Inderjit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Standard leather: Seat centers (front and rear), Inner seat bolsters (front and rear)
Note: Steering wheel rim in smooth-finish leather.
Standard w/18-way: same.
Full (smooth) leather:
  • Seat bolsters (front and rear)
  • Headrests (front and rear)
  • Dashboard upper, front and lower sections
  • Center console main storage compartment lid
  • Center console side panel
  • Door armrests (front and rear)
  • Center door trim (front and rear)
  • Door panels (front and rear)
  • Decorative areas in the doors (front and rear)
The quality is not as premium with standard interiors. Textured pleather type material vs. soft smooth real leather. I wouldn't order a Porsche without full leather.
I have heard that 18 w seats have more leather than standard, so this is not correct?

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you are wrong about NOT needing full leather, every single time you get into that car and see a dash or door panel and miss the stitching, or touch the headrest and dislike the tactile feel, it will remind you of that mistake. Every single time. (ask me how I know :) )

If you are wrong about really needing full leather, you'll never know... it's just some money, and not crazy percentage change from the base you are already spending. :)

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I chose the standard leather in black for my 4S because it was one of the best standard leather options I have seen in a Porsche - and it is “free”.

It is also 80% identical with the sporty racetex option, so I used the money for some performance options instead (eg. Rear Axel Steering).

I personally find the full leather a bit too soft/smooth - I prefer the more texture feel of the standard/Racetex.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are wrong about NOT needing full leather, every single time you get into that car and see a dash or door panel and miss the stitching, or touch the headrest and dislike the tactile feel, it will remind you of that mistake. Every single time. (ask me how I know :) )

If you are wrong about really needing full leather, you'll never know... it's just some money, and not crazy percentage change from the base you are already spending. :)
I feel like you are drastically overestimating the leather experience in your mind due to regret.
Of the cars I’ve had this full leather ranks far below BMW individual, Mercedes designo, and Bentley. This is by far the worst value leather package around. But in contrast the standard is great for free

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I agree. Not to mention that there are interior color combinations not available with the standard leather; Black/Bordeaux Red, for example, which was my choice.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I agree. Not to mention that there are interior color combinations not available with the standard leather; Black/Bordeaux Red, for example, which was my choice.
Good choice. :cool:
Porsche Taycan Amount/quality of leather in Taycan IMG_3051

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I feel like you are drastically overestimating the leather experience in your mind due to regret.
Of the cars I’ve had this full leather ranks far below BMW individual, Mercedes designo, and Bentley. This is by far the worst value leather package around. But in contrast the standard is great for free
This is based on my experience, so of course personal . But it wasn't hypothetical.

I have the leather on the 4S. It's not amazing leather, but it is very clearly better than non-leather (IMHO of course). Both in terms of the looks of the cockpit and doors with leather stitching (IMHO needed to really make the interior look the part of a 100K+ car), and in terms of what it feels like to touch it.

I have had other cars with and without. Porsche (both), BMW (both), Audi (only without, and regretted that decision until the day we sold that car), Mercedes (full leather only), Tesla (pleather only) Almost every time, pleather has disappointed me in a way that reminded me every single day. I touch 2 different parts of the seat that have leather on one and pleather on the other, and I'm instantly reminded. In some ways I'd probably prefer an "all pleather" alternatively, without the contrast maybe I'd forget about it.

Something worth researching: some car manufacturers also change what is BELOW the leather or pleather. Notably the headrests in the Q7 had different material underneath leather vs. pleather. The whole headrest felt foamy and cheapy on pleather, and nice and solid with leather.

The lack of leather is the single greatest problem I have with my Teslas. (I know, I'm a far outlier on that one, their pleather is actually really good for what it is, and especially the white one gets rave reviews for daily usability vs. real leather). But give me nice leather any day - it should at least be an option. (yes, i know... the cows. I eat them too, so they might as well use the hide for something...)

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is based on my experience, so of course personal . But it wasn't hypothetical.

I have the leather on the 4S. It's not amazing leather, but it is very clearly better than non-leather (IMHO of course). Both in terms of the looks of the cockpit and doors with leather stitching (IMHO needed to really make the interior look the part of a 100K+ car), and in terms of what it feels like to touch it.

I have had other cars with and without. Porsche (both), BMW (both), Audi (only without, and regretted that decision until the day we sold that car), Mercedes (full leather only), Tesla (pleather only) Almost every time, pleather has disappointed me in a way that reminded me every single day. I touch 2 different parts of the seat that have leather on one and pleather on the other, and I'm instantly reminded. In some ways I'd probably prefer an "all pleather" alternatively, without the contrast maybe I'd forget about it.

Something worth researching: some car manufacturers also change what is BELOW the leather or pleather. Notably the headrests in the Q7 had different material underneath leather vs. pleather. The whole headrest felt foamy and cheapy on pleather, and nice and solid with leather.

The lack of leather is the single greatest problem I have with my Teslas. (I know, I'm a far outlier on that one, their pleather is actually really good for what it is, and especially the white one gets rave reviews for daily usability vs. real leather). But give me nice leather any day - it should at least be an option. (yes, i know... the cows. I eat them too, so they might as well use the hide for something...)
Ah got it. Thought you regretted standard.

im curious if anyone regrets standard. I hear lots of leather folks say they would but none of the standard folk. Like I said I prefer it on balance for what the car is and left hand stitched leather to the higher quality coachworks vehicles I have.

but I get it if this is a special vehicle for the buyer and definitely just get what you want. For me it’s another car in the stable and fits that synthetic sporty style I want in it.

Pete85

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, X1 hybrid
Country flag
Few other threads on this already... most seem to prefer the full leather. I find it one of the worst value full leather products on the market at the price point and 7k Olea Club leather to be downright theft.
I agree here. I love how my Taycans full black leather looked when I got the car in May, but the quality is disappointing. Already on 10 000 km both front seats show wear, especially the outer side bolsters, which of course always wear most quickly. The full leather in my M3 F80 (Merino) was better for sure, no question. And the E92 M3 I had, well you can't even compare. It looked fantastic even after 170 000 km, which I don't know how its possible. I did take care of the leather but not every 10k km.

Its surprising really, because the Taycans build quality otherwise is great. By far the best on any car I ever have had. I love my 4S, this leather and software problems are minor tweaks, I can live with :).
Sponsored