An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
First up - My Homelink connection has worked fairly consistently (although at times intermittently) since first setup up in the car end Dec 2021 when the car was delivered. I have it so that it opens both my driveway gate and my overhead garage door simultaneously with one click. If I only needed to open one unit there would be ZERO issues here - but I need it to simultaneously open both units.

However, I'd say the OEM in-car Homelink transmitter manages on entry and exit to successfully ping gate+door maybe 75% of the time, meaning that the unit furthest from my initiation (the garage door) does not always receive a good signal. Now this may purely be a function of my particular setup as my driveway gate, albeit only 30 feet or so from my garage door, is a metal frame 7' tall with a solid wood covering, no gaps, and hence the signal needs to get around/penetrate the gate to reach the garage door unit usually doing so only 3 out of 4 times.

This 75% success rate is frustrating enough for me that I looked for an alternate, more reliable option that would be discreet and mounted close to the windshield transmission zone around the mirror assembly as yes, I have the noise/thermal insulated glass. It would further free up that Star button on my dash for something else!

My first thought was why not use my trusty DoorMate. For the cyclists out there this might be quite familiar as it is a universal remote that handles a bunch of major brand gate/garage door openers and is a slim unit that is designed to be a 'bar-end' plug so that when you pull up home from a ride a simple single click of the bar end button and you're in :) More pertinently, the thing is rock solid, super strong signal, incredibly simple to setup to open both units simultaneously, and discreet/small enough it could work perfectly.

First thought was to mount it beside the Mode button on the wheel but again my glass def an issue so to the transmission area on the windscreen. The way the roof liner curves into the glass at the top of the windshield perfectly hides 95% of the unit - I simply used transparent Scotch double-sided mounting tape which provides more than sufficient of a bond to the glass - no way this will fall off in regular car use.

Most of all the DoorMate's signal strength is clearly miles better than the OEM Homelink unit and every test to date nails opening of both gate and door - I think I am now going to turn off the Homelink connection (no more annoying reminder pop-ups :)) and stick with this - so now to decide on what to assign to that button (already have the cameras on the wheel button) :)!

DoorMate: A cool piece of kit if you cycle and are too lazy to be reaching around for that gate opener :) That said, an equally nifty piece of kit if used on a Motorcycle too.

Porsche Taycan An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening IMG_0625

Designed to be fitted in the bar end of your bycycle's road handle bars - the only piece I'm using here is the unit itself i.e. the additional cover pieces in the box are used to embed in handle bar cover tape and irrelevant here.

Porsche Taycan An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening IMG_0626

This thing is finger thick with slightly wider plate on the head - MUCH smaller than conventional openers with no loss in signal strength and easily hidden:

Porsche Taycan An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening IMG_0627

Will take better pics later - funky rain day. But this is a view angled up from wheel i.e. when driving your sightline will see less than half what's even visible here, so essentially invisible. The white nipple on the end is the button in easy reach.

Porsche Taycan An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening IMG_0631

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New and better holder for my trusty garage door opener (again my HomelInk connection works in that it will open both gate and garage doors simultaneously but the signal strength from the car's unit is hit and miss in reaching the garage door when I pul up to my closed gate. The DoorMate however is more powerful and 9 out of 10 times opens both in the same position. Hence why I have ditched an assigned button on my dash and use that now to toggle between night and day map view!

My new 'holder' is simply a thin magnetic plate (bought a set for a few bucks) that is used to attached whatever you want to your MagSafe iPhone back -I use a Thin Optics glass case with one on and works a charm.

These plates are very malleable and using a round bar or just by hand you can mold them to wrap around the Doormate unit leaving a small 'wing' to tuck between the overhead conceals and the glass - solid tight fit - quite pleased with the result as it looks custom designed for the job :)

Porsche Taycan An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening IMG_1925

Porsche Taycan An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening IMG_1926

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
This is great, could I trouble you for links to purchase the doormate and specific magnetic plate you used? I also have the insulated glass and spotty connectivity with homelink. Happy to use my diamond button for something else.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is great, could I trouble you for links to purchase the doormate and specific magnetic plate you used? I also have the insulated glass and spotty connectivity with homelink. Happy to use my diamond button for something else.
I purchased mine from BikeTiresDirect.com which is a great store for all kinds of cycling gear despite the name! Suspect locals in UK used a different or perhaps tha manufacturers site?

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/12-speed-doormate-universal-garage-door-opener

EDIT: NOTE - on this web page the description says not compatible with LiftMaster systems - this is entirely incorrect as I have a LiftMaster garage door opener and gate opener and it works perfectly - the instructions that came with (all three of my units) even include the 7 clicks needed to program to said manufacturer - very odd!

The plate was one of these (purchased both but not for this project :)! - just tested and worked perfectly) which are super thin and easily reformed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRQDRTBT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Or (and I think it was this one)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DKEXMVG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you!
Hey - here is a list of the supported openers in the instructions that came with my unit in the US - now conceivable there is a different list for units sold in the UK - don't know. But Chamberlain is the parent company of LiftMaster and all parts are interchangeable i.e. my unit most def works 100% with LiftMaster doors (should you have same).

Porsche Taycan An Alternate or Backup to Homelink for multi-gate/door opening IMG_1934

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
Hey - here is a list of the supported openers in the instructions that came with my unit in the US - now conceivable there is a different list for units sold in the UK - don't know. But Chamberlain is the parent company of LiftMaster and all parts are interchangeable i.e. my unit most def works 100% with LiftMaster doors (should you have same).

IMG_1934.jpeg
I have a liftmaster jackshaft opener, and have futzed around with interchangeable chamberlain parts over the years. I definitely feel comfortable giving this a go. Appreciate all the details, and will update when I get some time to delve into this.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a liftmaster jackshaft opener, and have futzed around with interchangeable chamberlain parts over the years. I definitely feel comfortable giving this a go. Appreciate all the details, and will update when I get some time to delve into this.
Thanks again.
I have exact same - so guaranteed to work!
Sponsored