First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
was chatting with someone who should know - they noted the following

there will be a service notice for the PMCC (maybe PMC+ didn't get details) where Porsche will is now recommending "lowering the amperage" for "normal" usage of the PMCC - i.e. effectively it's not a 40 amp EVSE and using it as such will be is against Porsche's recommendations

also they will they have updated the the documentation to reflect a recommendation that it only be used with Porsche vehicles - it's not expected to be compatible with other EV's (i.e. Tesla's)

the birdie I was talking to says this campaign will be out by the end of the calendar year…campaign is now out…

we'll see if it happens, but it seems if true that Porsche is admitting they have no idea what they are doing with EV chargers…

no word as to if this is North America only or world wide…I'm going to guess North America only cause the PMCC/PMC+ seems to be better in europe

if true - this would cements my long standing opinion that the PMCC is a crappy EVSE and there are better non-Porsche alternatives.

but it appears they are "punting" on the PMCC being a good EVSE - good thing it's still the most expensive EVSE money can buy…but far from the best.

call me a liar if this doesn't happen by the end of the year, but I was told this by someone who should know and we'll see if it comes to pass - I would not be I am not surprised by these recommendation it's well understood the PMCC has issues, but I would be it is disappointing.

also the PWCC (Porsche Wall Charger) sales are "on hold" while Porsche "works out some issues" with it…

basically stay away from Porsche for your EVSE hardware - they have no idea what they are doing and they seem to no longer care about addressing any issues - or they are abandoning this existing product line and will be moving to a "whole new" thing in the future…

my bet is on "whole new" because this item is shared across the VW/Audi/Porsche line - and rather than throw good engineering money after bad product design - they are probably working on new EVSE for the ID.4/eTron and other higher volume products - I would be unsurprised if we see a whole new EVSE included with the EV Macan and future VW/Audi EV's - rather than the highly flawed and problematic PMCC - essentially the PMCC will be made a "legacy" product and that explains why they are not and will not pursue any improvements - they have alternative plans cause it's pretty clear the existing stuff wouldn't scale to high volume EV sales…given all the problems it has and it's apparent cost.

until further notice this is a RUMOR and may be incorrect, but we'll see and I thought I'd share what I learned.

updated to reflect facts that have come to pass since this original posting - the official campaign is out now and this proved to be a pretty accurate summary of what has happened.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Given the fact that my PMC+ is no longer capable of charging my car at 100% this sounds legit to me.

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
What's the concern on that exactly? Fire/overheating?
there will be a service notice for the PMCC (maybe PMC+ didn't get details) where Porsche will recommend "lowering the amperage" for "normal" usage of the PMCC - i.e. effectively it's not a 40 amp EVSE and using it as such will be against Porsche's recommendations

For what it's worth, I actually have had decent experiences with it, my main issue is weight. I've charged Teslas and BMW with it and all charging experiences have been without issues.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
What's the concern on that exactly? Fire/overheating?

For what it's worth, I actually have had decent experiences with it, my main issue is weight. I've charged Teslas and BMW with it and all charging experiences have been without issues.
I doubt we'll will ever find out what the complete set of issues are - but by downgrading it officially Porsche will effectively wash their hands of issues with this particluar product accessory…if true they are essentially saying…"yeah we know there are issues but we're not going to fix them for this particular product"

I know mine overheats at 40 amps in mild weather, and can not charge my son's 2022 Tesla Model Y without tripping it's internal breaker

so my experience has been far from flawless - it is in fact 100% flawed with multiple reproducible problems - I use my 7 year old $500 Tesla Wall Gen2 chargers to charge my Taycan, Cayenne eHybrid and my son's Model Y and any EV/hybrids of friends and familiy that are visiting - always work, no issues - my two PMCC's are just not reliable and have multiple faults - I'm told I'm not alone.

I'm sure this is driven by customer complaints - the same person I was talking too says they get a "lot of questions/concerns" and general problems and malaise with the EVSE's included with the Taycan and Porsche to date has no response…he tells customers "off the record" to purchase something else if they want a better charging experience at home.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Given the fact that my PMC+ is no longer capable of charging my car at 100% this sounds legit to me.
Is the problem with yours overheating, or does it stop before 100%, or what? I just recently unpacked mine, tested it briefly, and plan to put in the car for emergency use. I know about the 50% setting. But if it stops before desired SOC is reached, I'd like to know.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Why not do it with a firmware update?
Because, as I think we've always known, the issue is hardware. It's been pointed out many times the cables should be a larger AWG.

FWIW, I have had zero issues with PMCC and now PMC+ on two Taycan over 1.5 years now. I attribute it to the fact that I have a 6-50 plug, and not 14-50 which likely runs hotter.

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have yet to have a problem with mine. It never overheated or anything and always charged my car just fine.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
FWIW my charger only started giving me problems recently during hot S. FL summer. Zero issue until July this year. Most definitely heat related - I have received multiple 'unable to reach target charge' messages via the app. Cable and handle get HOT!

I do have 20" Air King fans I run in the afternoon with garage doors open, and 1 is pointed at the car. I'm not leaving my garage open all night so there's that.

(14-50 | 60-amp dedicated breaker)

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Glad we went with a ChargePoint home flex for our installed EVSE. Decision as easy since it was free with the state grant we received making it free.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
From Arizona USA - I got my 2022 RWD with Performance Battery Plus in June 2022 and charge with a NEMA 14-50 50-amp dedicated breaker. Since then, my garage temperature has never fallen below 100 F (38 C) because it's so hot here during the day.

Based on advice in this forum, the first time I used my PMC+ at 100% I kept a fan blowing on it and charged overnight to 85% SOC. The second time the PMC+ shut down, even with the fan, because of temperature. I set the PMC+ to 50% and put the fan away. No problems with achieving 85% SOC several times.

I've learned from experts here that it's a hardware problem. Porsche's cable from the EVSE to the chargeport is 10 gauge when it should be 6 or possibly 8 gauge to safely deliver 40 amps continuously from a NEMA 14-50R (R is for receptacle) without becoming too hot for us to touch.

Glad I didn't shell out US$1200 for the PMCC. A better EVSE should be provided.

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If the product is unsafe it should be recalled under consumer protection law in most every country but you would need to run it by a defective product attorney to see if there was a case.
Sponsored