First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
hmmmm

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed. For this reason, the update is carried out as part of a free visit to a Porsche Centre.
I’m picturing the internal eMail thread:

hey Freddrick - why is this update not OTA?​
hello peter - thanks for asking. Our OTA doesn’t really work and this update is soo big we simply can’t deliver it​
Freddrick - so we have no effective OTA mechanism? How are we going to explain to our customers we can’t do OTA updates for software. OTA was one of the headline features of the Mission-E program.​
Hello Peter - yeah it’s a big miss and we’re working with the hardware and software guys to figure out if we can hire some actual software engineers from Tesla to tell us how the do it. In the mean time we’ve been kicking around excuses. I think if we tell the customers a “recalibration“ is required by the shop personal it should buy us some time on this whole OTA thing…in the mean time we have great candidate identified to head up the OTA reboot effort, first name Elon - can you phone screen him this week?​
Sponsored

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just talked to service provider in the USA. They were caught by surprise and don't know anything about the update. They did offer to book the car for April 7th and hope to have the details by then. She did say they also saw the news so it must be true ?.

It's fascinating that you release a press statement and put it on your website but the dealers who take calls from customers knows nothing about this.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My car has been at the dealer for a separate issue. Last week while the car was there I asked if they heard when the update was coming out and, no surprise, they were not aware of any update for my MY20 Turbo. I just emailed him the press release and asked them to do the software update while it's there. They are trying to tell me it's an OTA update. I am working on convincing them that it is not.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
My car has been at the dealer for a separate issue. Last week while the car was there I asked if they heard when the update was coming out and, no surprise, they were not aware of any update for my MY20 Turbo. I just emailed him the press release and asked them to do the software update while it's there. They are trying to tell me it's an OTA update. I am working on convincing them that it is not.
from the porsche news releaes

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed. For this reason, the update is carried out as part of a free visit to a Porsche Centre.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
from the porsche news releaes

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed.​
To be honest I don't like this since it introduces the possibility of problems. There are already reports of three cars with the update experiencing limp mode after accelerating hard (two of them after launch control).
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/reduced-drive-power.4296/

I hope the update is not introducing new bugs or the dealers do not mess up the adaptation/calibration.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Last edited:

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
I hope the update is not introducing new bugs or the dealers do not mess up the adaptation/calibration.
Its software so its possible and rather likely. Any time you touch the complex code you are running risk of introducing the new problems.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I especially liked this one:

"Another of the updates is optimised chassis control, which improves slip control and therefore acceleration in the Taycan Turbo S. With this, the sprint from zero to 200 km/h takes just 9.6 seconds in conjunction with Launch Control – so it is 0.2 seconds faster than before." :stop:

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Just talked to service provider in the USA. They were caught by surprise and don't know anything about the update. They did offer to book the car for April 7th and hope to have the details by then. She did say they also saw the news so it must be true ?.

It's fascinating that you release a press statement and put it on your website but the dealers who take calls from customers knows nothing about this.
Similar experience here, the local dealer hadn't heard about this, and their system shows my VIN isn't due for any update as of yet. They are looking into it...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I especially liked this one:

"Another of the updates is optimised chassis control, which improves slip control and therefore acceleration in the Taycan Turbo S. With this, the sprint from zero to 200 km/h takes just 9.6 seconds in conjunction with Launch Control – so it is 0.2 seconds faster than before." :stop:
Lol, me too!
Gotta visit Germany again soon.

Darthgup

First Name
Sunjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2020 Macan S
Country flag
I had my Taycan 4s at the dealer for an issue with the Connect App. I was supposed to pick it up today but they called me and said that the update came in, so they will keep the car and update it. I am in Ontario, Canada. Will get the car back in a day or two. Here is hoping everything runs smoothly.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone with a MY20 whom got their cars updated with the latest firmware have the ability to lock/unlock their cars via the Porsche Connect App like the MY21's?

Fcassells

First Name
Fraser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone with a MY20 whom got their cars updated with the latest firmware have the ability to lock/unlock their cars via the Porsche Connect App like the MY21's?
I have an appointment on the 29th at Vancouver Porsche , I’m hoping the same thing along with wireless CarPlay ... fingers crossed.
Sponsored