TVL

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html

Free software update for the first Porsche Taycan models

03/23/2021

Porsche extensively updated its all-electric Taycan last September for the new model year. Now, Taycan customers whose electric sports car was delivered in the 2020 model year can benefit from key new features, too.

Porsche is making the software update available free of charge on a worldwide basis. It includes improvements to driving dynamics, new intelligent charging functions, additional functions for the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system and additional Porsche Connect features.

From chassis to navigation: overview of the new update features
For the Taycan models with adaptive air suspension, the update includes the new Smartlift function. This allows the Taycan to be programmed so that its ride height is automatically raised at certain recurring locations such as road humps or garage driveways. Another of the updates is optimised chassis control, which improves slip control and therefore acceleration in the Taycan Turbo S. With this, the sprint from zero to 200 km/h takes just 9.6 seconds in conjunction with Launch Control – so it is 0.2 seconds faster than before (Taycan Turbo S: CO2 emissions combined 0 g/km, Electricity consumption combined 28.5 kwh/100 km).

Porsche Taycan Announced: Software update for 2020 Taycan models ? Software-Update%20for%20early%20Porsche%20Taycan_3

The range of Charging Planner functions is also extended. For example, it is now possible to set the charge level with which the Taycan is to reach the specified destination. During a charging process with active route guidance, the driver receives a notification in the vehicle and in the app when the necessary charge level for the remaining route has been reached so that the journey can be continued. With the new Battery-Saving Charging function, charging capacity can be reduced from up to 270 kW to 200 kW if desired. The resulting lower battery temperature during charging results in lower-impact charging and a highly efficient charging process. The 22 kW on-board AC charger will be available as a retro-fit option in selected markets from the end of 2021.

Fine-tuned navigation system
The navigation system has also been fine-tuned: this includes the display of online information directly on the map as well as traffic information with lane-level precision. And in terms of entertainment, anyone who connects their Apple ID to their Taycan can now use the Apple Podcasts (including video streaming) and Apple Music Lyrics functions. Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection.

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed. For this reason, the update is carried out as part of a free visit to a Porsche Centre.

Additional updates via Functions on Demand
Furthermore, additional updates can always be carried out on current-model-year Taycan via Functions on Demand (FoD). These are flexible upgrades that work on an over-the-air basis after the sports car has been originally configured and purchased. Current FoD, in addition to the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM), are Power Steering Plus, Active Lane Keep Assist and Porsche InnoDrive. Customers can choose whether they want to purchase the respective function for their Taycan or take out a monthly subscription. The latter option includes a three-month trial period. After registering and selecting the desired function(s) in the Porsche Connect Store, the Porsche backend sends a data package to the Taycan via the mobile phone network, providing a connection can be established. Drivers are notified of the availability of such a data package by the Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Activation then takes a few minutes: a message appears on the central display after it has been successful.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

taycan4sl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No mention of wireless carplay.

It does mention in one of the articles that it requires the dealership to provide the update.

Interested in hearing feedback from others that are brave enough to get the update first :).

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
"Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection."

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No mention of wireless carplay.

It does mention in one of the articles that it requires the dealership to provide the update.

Interested in hearing feedback from others that are brave enough to get the update first :).
It does mention wireless CarPlay in the section labeled "Fine-tuned navigation system":

Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is the Update that has been discussed on the Forum for quite some time! Nothing new here?

Are Porsche desperate now? They have issued a Press Release about this as it should be something new, when most of it is bug fixes!

To my absolute biggest surprise was that the service manager at my Porsche Centre had no clue about this whatsoever! NONE, NADA, NOTHING! I sent him the Press release and that was the first he heard about it!

Makes me feel very good about having bought this car!!

NOT!

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I got the e-mail about new available system software for my Taycan today, and will get it installed in my TS on Friday already.

Just in case I booked in advance a couple of weeks ago, and was just about to postpone the appointment before the email dropped in my inbox. The software will optimize the following:

Charge:
• The charging planning function is expanded. It is now possible to set the desired charge level for the vehicle at a specified destination.
• During a charging process with active route guidance, the vehicle and the app can show the point where the charge level needed for the rest of the route has been reached and it is possible to resume driving.
• Charging at home is improved and it is easier to log in to the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect with activated device protection.
• During the charging process, the connected vehicle and the current charging status of the battery are displayed on the screen of the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect.
• With the new charging function that conserves the battery, the charging power can be reduced from up to 270 kW to 200 kW if desired. A lower battery temperature during charging further increases battery life.

Chassis and driving comfort:
• The raising function will be improved. The car will be automatically raised at certain locations, such as speed bumps and driveways.
• Further optimization of the chassis system improves driving dynamics and track performance.

Comfort
• Seat and ergonomic positions will be saved even when using a guest profile, and will be available again after restart.

Porsche Connect and Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
• Further improvements have been made in navigation, such as displaying online information directly on the map and file-specific traffic information.
• You can now use Apple Car Play wirelessly. If you've linked your Apple ID to your car, you can also use Apple Podcasts including video streaming and Apple Music Lyrics.

• For an included period of 10 years, you will receive the new Porsche Connect Care package with engine stop function. You can activate Porsche Connect Care in the Porsche Connect Store from March 2021.

I'm really looking forward to this long wanted update :like:

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I emailed Mr. Mark Wienkotter spokesperson Taycan & E-mobility about plug&charge. His name is on the bottom of the announcement.
Auto reply in German, he is out of the office until April 5.

Hello Mr. Wienkotter,

I own a MY20 4S+ performance and have just read the Porsche announcement regarding Free software update for MY20’s that we have been expecting.

I did not see any mention of Plug&Charge of our model year.

Can you provide any information regarding when and if we will be afforded this option so that my MY20 is not outdated already.

I hope Porsche does not alienate or penalize the early adopters and owners of multiple Porsche.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,”

Edit: The auto reply gives me a Ms. Elena Storm as an available contact since Mr. Wienkotter is out. I forwarded my email to her. Should be interesting to see what if any reply she provides.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The 22 kW on-board AC charger will be available as a retro-fit option in selected markets from the end of 2021.
hmmmm

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection.
Sponsored