Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Based on all available information, P&C for MY2020 vehicles wasn't going to be even potentially available until Q2 or Q3. Considering that the big update just announced was finalized and began validation months ago there was no reason to expect it would include it.

I mentioned in a couple of other threads that I've spoken with someone at Hubject, the IT services company that EA is working with to enable ISO 15118/Plug and Charge, and they claim to be working on it and was convinced it would eventually be made available. So I continue to be impatient, but optimistic.
I was surprised that it would require a hardware upgrade. I would have thought it was just a communication between the car and charger with major work handled through software and that whatever communication they needed on the hardware side would be decided on and installed long ago.

The standard seems to have been out around 2018, so surprised that the h/w would not have considered that for the 2020. Also, EA originally planned to have this done in 2020 so I would have thought the hardware at least was long settled.

Seems that Hubject even had a P&C system running with Daimler in 2018 for some cars in the Smart line, so if Porsche really needs a hardware upgrade, they dropped the ball somewhere.
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was surprised that it would require a hardware upgrade. I would have thought it was just a communication between the car and charger with major work handled through software and that whatever communication they needed on the hardware side would be decided on and installed long ago.

The standard seems to have been out around 2018, so surprised that the h/w would not have considered that for the 2020. Also, EA originally planned to have this done in 2020 so I would have thought the hardware at least was long settled.
The handshake might just be software, but you don't know how Porsche has implemented that software routine. If it is in a non-modifiable ROM/Firmware or on a module without any more space then to update the software you need new hardware.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The handshake might just be software, but you don't know how Porsche has implemented that software routine. If it is in a non-modifiable ROM/Firmware or on a module without any more space then to update the software you need new hardware.
Yeah, but that means that they seriously dropped the ball. I am hoping that this is not the case and the writer of the article got it wrong, or someone conflated the need to have the 22kw charger updated (since there was some issue with that and Plug and Play). Personally, as a driver, it doesn't mean much to me. As an engineer, I shake my head ;)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Seems that Hubject even had a P&C system running with Daimler in 2018 for some cars in the Smart line, so if Porsche really needs a hardware upgrade, they dropped the ball somewhere.
It's only for Porsche related payment using the provider of the power.
Here in the Netherlands, Fastned has an app in which you can select auto charging.
Just plug in and charge.
Works great.
So it's just a matter of provider.

Porsche Taycan Announced: Software update for 2020 Taycan models ? Screenshot_20210324-161719

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's only for Porsche related payment using the provider of the power.
Here in the Netherlands, Fastned has an app in which you can select auto charging.
Just plug in and charge.
Works great.
So it's just a matter of provider.
of course again Europe is leading ;)

Does that work for the 2020?

Fcassells

First Name
Fraser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
One of the updates listed was Apple ”streaming video” ... anyone have an idea if that relates to podcasts or something else ? I’m not super familiar with Apple podcasts.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got stuck this morning with the 12V failure. Has Porsche addressed this with this new software update? It’s a massive issue and if there were a car that compares to this in any way I would consider swapping today. Very annoying.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html

Free software update for the first Porsche Taycan models

03/23/2021

Porsche extensively updated its all-electric Taycan last September for the new model year. Now, Taycan customers whose electric sports car was delivered in the 2020 model year can benefit from key new features, too.

Porsche is making the software update available free of charge on a worldwide basis. It includes improvements to driving dynamics, new intelligent charging functions, additional functions for the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system and additional Porsche Connect features.

From chassis to navigation: overview of the new update features
For the Taycan models with adaptive air suspension, the update includes the new Smartlift function. This allows the Taycan to be programmed so that its ride height is automatically raised at certain recurring locations such as road humps or garage driveways. Another of the updates is optimised chassis control, which improves slip control and therefore acceleration in the Taycan Turbo S. With this, the sprint from zero to 200 km/h takes just 9.6 seconds in conjunction with Launch Control – so it is 0.2 seconds faster than before (Taycan Turbo S: CO2 emissions combined 0 g/km, Electricity consumption combined 28.5 kwh/100 km).

Software-Update%20for%20early%20Porsche%20Taycan_3.jpg

The range of Charging Planner functions is also extended. For example, it is now possible to set the charge level with which the Taycan is to reach the specified destination. During a charging process with active route guidance, the driver receives a notification in the vehicle and in the app when the necessary charge level for the remaining route has been reached so that the journey can be continued. With the new Battery-Saving Charging function, charging capacity can be reduced from up to 270 kW to 200 kW if desired. The resulting lower battery temperature during charging results in lower-impact charging and a highly efficient charging process. The 22 kW on-board AC charger will be available as a retro-fit option in selected markets from the end of 2021.

Fine-tuned navigation system
The navigation system has also been fine-tuned: this includes the display of online information directly on the map as well as traffic information with lane-level precision. And in terms of entertainment, anyone who connects their Apple ID to their Taycan can now use the Apple Podcasts (including video streaming) and Apple Music Lyrics functions. Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection.

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed. For this reason, the update is carried out as part of a free visit to a Porsche Centre.

Additional updates via Functions on Demand
Furthermore, additional updates can always be carried out on current-model-year Taycan via Functions on Demand (FoD). These are flexible upgrades that work on an over-the-air basis after the sports car has been originally configured and purchased. Current FoD, in addition to the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM), are Power Steering Plus, Active Lane Keep Assist and Porsche InnoDrive. Customers can choose whether they want to purchase the respective function for their Taycan or take out a monthly subscription. The latter option includes a three-month trial period. After registering and selecting the desired function(s) in the Porsche Connect Store, the Porsche backend sends a data package to the Taycan via the mobile phone network, providing a connection can be established. Drivers are notified of the availability of such a data package by the Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Activation then takes a few minutes: a message appears on the central display after it has been successful.
I just spoke to my SA, in Spain. Porsche Iberica, the Posche subsidiary that distributes the brand for the whole country is currently testing their Taycan vehicles in their own fleet of loaners and management vehicles. After Easter, if all goes well, they will start updating cuatomer vehicles. Sounds like a sound (pun intended) decision. Hope to have updated software before the end of April.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
why would you swap to a car that has a similar 12V issue? Tesla, Bolt and other EVs have 12V battery problems, as do ICEs.
I've never been completely locked out of an ICE car or the Tesla I owned for three years before this. Especially one that is less than a year old. It's even more strange when it is an electric car that has a fully charged 800V battery sitting right there. I don't understand this quick defense of the car... It's not like negative comments on this forum are going to hurt the value of the car. It's going to depreciate like every other expensive luxury sedan regardless. We should be able to openly acknowledge major flaws in the car within this forum. Similar to how the comfort lock is absolute trash on this car and requires you to fondle the handle repeatedly to get it to lock yet an older Macan with comfort lock will instantly lock with a light graze of the handle. All that said, I clearly said "IF there were a car that compares" implying that, issues aside, I still believe it is the best daily driver available today. Peace and love.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
My 2020 is in getting the update now in the UK. Hoping to hear from them tomorrow to see how it’s going. Car is currently accessible via connect, however that means nothing as it’s never worked properly! ?

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have been locked out my Cayenne Turbo because of the 12V battery. My Taycan has not shown a single fault. Doesn't mean Cayennes are crap and Taycans are flawless. I understand Reg's comment. In this forum sometimes people go straight to saying "I wish I didn't buy" or "Porsche is trash for selling this garbage". Don't take me word for word, but things with a similar meaning have been said. I wonder if the same people owning Teslas with their "GREAT" day 1 quality and service were critical on the same level. The Taycan is by far not flawless, but as early adopters people should have known what they are buying themselves into. If something is wrong, Porsche takes it and at least tries to fix it, completely free of charge, almost aways with a free loaner. After the recent update most issues should be fixed. Then it's a matter of time until convenience issues will be fixed, hopefully. I understand the frustration but quick hate is not any better than quick defense.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
My 2020 is in getting the update now in the UK. Hoping to hear from them tomorrow to see how it’s going. Car is currently accessible via connect, however that means nothing as it’s never worked properly! ?
I don't know if its the update since my car came with the recent version when I picked it up last week, but the app has been working without any issues so far. Even though my car is in an underground garage with almost no signal at all, when I use the app for climate control or setting up navigation destinations it has been getting them every time - so far. Still early but the update might have fixed the app issues too.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been locked out my Cayenne Turbo because of the 12V battery. My Taycan has not shown a single fault. Doesn't mean Cayennes are crap and Taycans are flawless. I understand Reg's comment. In this forum sometimes people go straight to saying "I wish I didn't buy" or "Porsche is trash for selling this garbage". Don't take me word for word, but things with a similar meaning have been said. I wonder if the same people owning Teslas with their "GREAT" day 1 quality and service were critical on the same level. The Taycan is by far not flawless, but as early adopters people should have known what they are buying themselves into. If something is wrong, Porsche takes it and at least tries to fix it, completely free of charge, almost aways with a free loaner. After the recent update most issues should be fixed. Then it's a matter of time until convenience issues will be fixed, hopefully. I understand the frustration but quick hate is not any better than quick defense.
Agreed. Let's all just call a truce here. I may have been a bit quick to claim I would dump the car after one issue - it was a frustrating morning. The Tesla may not have locked me out but I had so many other issues with it, even knowing that I was taking some risk going with the first gen Taycan, I couldn't wait to get out of the Tesla.
Sponsored