Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t care about people bringing up issues - in fact I appreciate it so I can be prepared if it happens to me. I know Porsche isn’t perfect and I am glad, because the price of a perfect car would be astronomical.

I do get amused when people inject all the drama or hyperbole.
Sponsored

Bez2103

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
New MY2020 4S+ At the dealership to get a new sun visor clip. Got the news that they are going to keep the car until Friday to complete the software update. In Pennsylvania. Hoping all goes smoothly.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I've never been completely locked out of an ICE car or the Tesla I owned for three years before this. Especially one that is less than a year old. It's even more strange when it is an electric car that has a fully charged 800V battery sitting right there. I don't understand this quick defense of the car... It's not like negative comments on this forum are going to hurt the value of the car. It's going to depreciate like every other expensive luxury sedan regardless. We should be able to openly acknowledge major flaws in the car within this forum. Similar to how the comfort lock is absolute trash on this car and requires you to fondle the handle repeatedly to get it to lock yet an older Macan with comfort lock will instantly lock with a light graze of the handle. All that said, I clearly said "IF there were a car that compares" implying that, issues aside, I still believe it is the best daily driver available today. Peace and love.
I will say this not at all being defensive. My Tesla Roadster has bricked itself multiple times with a 12v battery failure, and you DON’T want to know where the battery is! Almost every EV I have owned has had some issue or another with the 12v battery going low and causing all kinds of havoc. you are correct in that it baffles the mind, here is a GIANT battery why don’t they just constantly trickle charge the damn thing? So the question is valid, but this seems to be the plague of almost every EV. And I still remember my BMW M Roadster, I HAD TO make sure I ended all calls and disconnected Bluetooth before I turned the car off, or a firmware issue in the module would keep Bluetooth enabled and drain down the 12v battery overnight.

On ICE cars we have no issues with the alternator keeping the battery good, which is more complex. On a giant moving battery we can’t charge the tiny battery. But I would not call it a major flaw as every models has eventually “fixed” the issue.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Latest from my dealer is that WMA5 is being applied to my car first thing tomorrow morning. WMA7 for the charger is delayed as they need a tool to perform the update and the recall technical information does not specify the part number of the tool that enables the update. Porsche GB have no idea so they have been on the phone to Germany ‘most of today’. Good news is the WMA5 can proceed without WMA7.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Also I have confirmed that plug n charge without entering a pin on Porsche charger is part of the update. Ionity plug n charge they could not confirm. Not that big a deal on the ionity side as I’m not frequently charging at ionity. But would be cool if they got that working in the future.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also I have confirmed that plug n charge without entering a pin on Porsche charger is part of the update. Ionity plug n charge they could not confirm. Not that big a deal on the ionity side as I’m not frequently charging at ionity. But would be cool if they got that working in the future.
is yours a 2020 or 2021?
thanks

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html

Free software update for the first Porsche Taycan models

03/23/2021

Porsche extensively updated its all-electric Taycan last September for the new model year. Now, Taycan customers whose electric sports car was delivered in the 2020 model year can benefit from key new features, too.

Porsche is making the software update available free of charge on a worldwide basis. It includes improvements to driving dynamics, new intelligent charging functions, additional functions for the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system and additional Porsche Connect features.

From chassis to navigation: overview of the new update features
For the Taycan models with adaptive air suspension, the update includes the new Smartlift function. This allows the Taycan to be programmed so that its ride height is automatically raised at certain recurring locations such as road humps or garage driveways. Another of the updates is optimised chassis control, which improves slip control and therefore acceleration in the Taycan Turbo S. With this, the sprint from zero to 200 km/h takes just 9.6 seconds in conjunction with Launch Control – so it is 0.2 seconds faster than before (Taycan Turbo S: CO2 emissions combined 0 g/km, Electricity consumption combined 28.5 kwh/100 km).

Software-Update%20for%20early%20Porsche%20Taycan_3.jpg

The range of Charging Planner functions is also extended. For example, it is now possible to set the charge level with which the Taycan is to reach the specified destination. During a charging process with active route guidance, the driver receives a notification in the vehicle and in the app when the necessary charge level for the remaining route has been reached so that the journey can be continued. With the new Battery-Saving Charging function, charging capacity can be reduced from up to 270 kW to 200 kW if desired. The resulting lower battery temperature during charging results in lower-impact charging and a highly efficient charging process. The 22 kW on-board AC charger will be available as a retro-fit option in selected markets from the end of 2021.

Fine-tuned navigation system
The navigation system has also been fine-tuned: this includes the display of online information directly on the map as well as traffic information with lane-level precision. And in terms of entertainment, anyone who connects their Apple ID to their Taycan can now use the Apple Podcasts (including video streaming) and Apple Music Lyrics functions. Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection.

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed. For this reason, the update is carried out as part of a free visit to a Porsche Centre.

Additional updates via Functions on Demand
Furthermore, additional updates can always be carried out on current-model-year Taycan via Functions on Demand (FoD). These are flexible upgrades that work on an over-the-air basis after the sports car has been originally configured and purchased. Current FoD, in addition to the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM), are Power Steering Plus, Active Lane Keep Assist and Porsche InnoDrive. Customers can choose whether they want to purchase the respective function for their Taycan or take out a monthly subscription. The latter option includes a three-month trial period. After registering and selecting the desired function(s) in the Porsche Connect Store, the Porsche backend sends a data package to the Taycan via the mobile phone network, providing a connection can be established. Drivers are notified of the availability of such a data package by the Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Activation then takes a few minutes: a message appears on the central display after it has been successful.

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
not all 2020 models will receive the update. Per my dealer only certain VIN model Taycan‘ s will be updated. Dealer said Porche’s press release only for very specific cars although not stated in the press release. service mgr also stated they have zero information re OTA UPDATES. Blind leading the blind with Porsche

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
not all 2020 models will receive the update. Per my dealer only certain VIN model Taycan‘ s will be updated. Dealer said Porche’s press release only for very specific cars although not stated in the press release. service mgr also stated they have zero information re OTA UPDATES. Blind leading the blind with Porsche
Not sure where your SA is getting info that only some MY20s will get the software. Here is the official internal notice. It is showing 5240 models in the US needing the update. I believe that is every one sold.

Attachments

Darthgup

First Name
Sunjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2020 Macan S
Country flag
My update is still in progress but warning to all. It will erase all your settings (charging profiles, timers, favorites, etc). Dealer just advised me. But hey I am able to connect my phone to the car again (connect app working).

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Not sure where your SA is getting info that only some MY20s will get the software. Here is the official internal notice. It is showing 5240 models in the US needing the update. I believe that is every one sold.
I got the initial message from my dealer that my VIN was not on the 'list'. They're rechecking, and I have my car setup for the appointment. I can't imagine why Porsche would chose to not update my car, which was one of the first Turbo S in the US and one of the last MY 2020 cars. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread - glad to hear from folks here on what the situation is - much more informed than our dealers interestingly enough...

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
I got the initial message from my dealer that my VIN was not on the 'list'. They're rechecking, and I have my car setup for the appointment. I can't imagine why Porsche would chose to not update my car, which was one of the first Turbo S in the US and one of the last MY 2020 cars. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread - glad to hear from folks here on what the situation is - much more informed than our dealers interestingly enough...
From what I understand - the release of the software starts today (3/26). If the VIN was checked before then, it would/should show no update available. My shop was saying there is no software until yesterday - even though I shared the official press release. They were confused with the MY21 update. So, perhaps your dealer was also confused thinking only MY21 was getting an update.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
From what I understand - the release of the software starts today (3/26). If the VIN was checked before then, it would/should show no update available. My shop was saying there is no software until yesterday - even though I shared the official press release. They were confused with the MY21 update. So, perhaps your dealer was also confused thinking only MY21 was getting an update.
Fingers crossed - I'll keep you posted. ?

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I'm guessing that Porsche is doing a rolling update with some number of VINs per day or week rather than turning it on for all at once. A pure guess on my part but given the complexity of the update they may want to do the upgrades methodically a few at a time to avoid overwhelming the central group with problems. I'm guessing that each of our vins won't show up as eligible for the upgrade until we receive our email or letter.
Sponsored