KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
My 2020 Taycan 4S is now receiving the software updates here in the US. As the availability started to show in their dashboards, they saw the update applicable to my vehicle. (I have not yet received the email or letter.) They are going to keep the vehicle a while longer to apply the update.
Sponsored

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
when did I say the whole brand is a joke .....cool down and read again and no need to reply thanks
Quote "Porsche is a joke"
If you have a 2021 model and no wiresless carplay then something is wrong with your car and not the upade...

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html

Free software update for the first Porsche Taycan models

03/23/2021

Porsche extensively updated its all-electric Taycan last September for the new model year. Now, Taycan customers whose electric sports car was delivered in the 2020 model year can benefit from key new features, too.

Porsche is making the software update available free of charge on a worldwide basis. It includes improvements to driving dynamics, new intelligent charging functions, additional functions for the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system and additional Porsche Connect features.

From chassis to navigation: overview of the new update features
For the Taycan models with adaptive air suspension, the update includes the new Smartlift function. This allows the Taycan to be programmed so that its ride height is automatically raised at certain recurring locations such as road humps or garage driveways. Another of the updates is optimised chassis control, which improves slip control and therefore acceleration in the Taycan Turbo S. With this, the sprint from zero to 200 km/h takes just 9.6 seconds in conjunction with Launch Control – so it is 0.2 seconds faster than before (Taycan Turbo S: CO2 emissions combined 0 g/km, Electricity consumption combined 28.5 kwh/100 km).

Software-Update%20for%20early%20Porsche%20Taycan_3.jpg

The range of Charging Planner functions is also extended. For example, it is now possible to set the charge level with which the Taycan is to reach the specified destination. During a charging process with active route guidance, the driver receives a notification in the vehicle and in the app when the necessary charge level for the remaining route has been reached so that the journey can be continued. With the new Battery-Saving Charging function, charging capacity can be reduced from up to 270 kW to 200 kW if desired. The resulting lower battery temperature during charging results in lower-impact charging and a highly efficient charging process. The 22 kW on-board AC charger will be available as a retro-fit option in selected markets from the end of 2021.

Fine-tuned navigation system
The navigation system has also been fine-tuned: this includes the display of online information directly on the map as well as traffic information with lane-level precision. And in terms of entertainment, anyone who connects their Apple ID to their Taycan can now use the Apple Podcasts (including video streaming) and Apple Music Lyrics functions. Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection.

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed. For this reason, the update is carried out as part of a free visit to a Porsche Centre.

Additional updates via Functions on Demand
Furthermore, additional updates can always be carried out on current-model-year Taycan via Functions on Demand (FoD). These are flexible upgrades that work on an over-the-air basis after the sports car has been originally configured and purchased. Current FoD, in addition to the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM), are Power Steering Plus, Active Lane Keep Assist and Porsche InnoDrive. Customers can choose whether they want to purchase the respective function for their Taycan or take out a monthly subscription. The latter option includes a three-month trial period. After registering and selecting the desired function(s) in the Porsche Connect Store, the Porsche backend sends a data package to the Taycan via the mobile phone network, providing a connection can be established. Drivers are notified of the availability of such a data package by the Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Activation then takes a few minutes: a message appears on the central display after it has been successful.
I have just had an extensive update session at my dealership for my 2020 Turbo S, but was told that this did not include the items announced here in Porsche's news release. That update will come later and owners will be notified when it is ready to be installed.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was told the update would be available Friday, that happened. I received my email from Porsche today. I am talking to my tech to see if he thinks I should wait a bit or schedule it now.

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
Quote "Porsche is a joke"
If you have a 2021 model and no wiresless carplay then something is wrong with your car and not the upade...
to be fair, he said “Porsche is joking”, not “Porsche is a joke”.

I wonder whether the navigation will be improved...

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
No mention of wireless carplay.

It does mention in one of the articles that it requires the dealership to provide the update.

Interested in hearing feedback from others that are brave enough to get the update first :).
What about Android Auto promised by a dealer to me over 4 years ago on 718!

Last edited:

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
I had the update done last Thursday and it “fried” the PCM and a whole new unit is now on back order ?
Mine was booked in for the update a fews day ago and cancelled the day before - too many problems with update, no rescheduled date - thank goodness given your comment.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer has had no issues with the 2021's and they are doing the first 2020 today....so far so good. I'm gonna do my car tomorrow. If they blow it up they will fix it !!!

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
My car is in the workshop and having the update installed. They expect it'll take at least two days to accomplish all the tasks.

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer has had no issues with the 2021's and they are doing the first 2020 today....so far so good. I'm gonna do my car tomorrow. If they blow it up they will fix it !!!
wow, and if they take a few weeks or months to fix it that doesn't matter?
Sponsored