Another 4S build...

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Having been for a test drive Test drive 911 and Taycan | Porsche Taycan Forum - TaycanForum.com I have put together a draft spec. Any comments welcome - although I understand this is a risky business and you will collectively try to add £10k to the build cost!

Here is the Porsche code: https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.d.../modelstart/all/default.ashx&webcode=pnbxa9m7
If the link doesn't work the number is: PNBXA9M7

There are a few things that I really want. Some optional and some that I don't want. And a few uncertainties
Want: most of the things on the spec
Could live without: head up display, ambient lighting, electric charging cover (although the manual one looks a bit flimsy and prone to damage while open which is why I have put the electric one on there), matrix LED lights (I live in the countryside so drive down dark lanes in the winter most days and these sound like a good option)
Considering: Rear wheel steering - I have read the thread and like all Porsche things, those who have it deem it essential. Those who don't, mostly don't want it or feel you can live without it.
Don't want: anything that adds significant cost without any real benefit: extended leather interior (nice - but too expensive), pano roof (limited benefit to me I think), coloured seatbelts, painted bits on the outside (mirrors etc), ACC (not enough motorway driving), automated parking, comfort entry (security risk). Would like the 21in black Mission E wheels - but with the added special brakes this adds >£5k - so will avoid this option

Anyway, if there is anything that I really must have (!) or really don't need from the spec - please let me know.

Thanks,
Sponsored

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Having been for a test drive Test drive 911 and Taycan | Porsche Taycan Forum - TaycanForum.com I have put together a draft spec. Any comments welcome - although I understand this is a risky business and you will collectively try to add £10k to the build cost!

Here is the Porsche code: https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.d.../modelstart/all/default.ashx&webcode=pnbxa9m7

There are a few things that I really want. Some optional and some that I don't want. And a few uncertainties
Could live without: head up display, ambient lighting, electric charging cover (although the manual one looks a bit flimsy and prone to damage while open which is why I have put the electric one on there), matrix LED lights (I live in the countryside so drive down dark lanes in the winter most days and these sound like a good option)
Considering: Rear wheel steering - I have read the thread and like all Porsche things, those who have it deem it essential. Those who don't, mostly don't want it or feel you can live without it.
Don't want: anything that adds significant cost without any real benefit: extended leather interior (nice - but too expensive), pano roof (limited benefit to me I think), coloured seatbelts, painted bits on the outside (mirrors etc), ACC (not enough motorway driving), automated parking, comfort entry (security risk). Would like the 21in black Mission E wheels - but with the added special brakes this adds >£5k - so will avoid this option

Anyway, if there is anything that I really must have (!) or really don't need from the spec - please let me know.

Thanks,
Looks like a pretty good build, similar to what I have but looks like you don't have package options in the UK. I went with the premium package which got me some of your features plus the ionizer, pano roof (good for making the cabin seem more roomy), lane change assist (blind spot warning which is useful IMO), ventilated seats which is probably a waste in UK.

Sports chrono seems to split folks. The porsche enthusiasts say it is a must have but others are saying that the analogue clock is out of place in a modern cabin. My SA is an enthusiast and advised against it. I have also heard that the 18 way seats are bigger and the 14 way give you a bit more room inside.

Door sills in brushed aluminimum is a free option which makes the car look better. Other low cost aesthetics would be porsche headcrests on your front seats and coloured crest wheel caps.

I also have adaptive cruise and electric sports sound (indulgence). A friend has the Taycan and insists that the sport sound is really cool. You mentioned the car seems big in which case the rear wheel steer is probably a high priority for you.

Hope this helps. My thread on the same topic recently:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/my-taycan-4s-spec.5565/#post-77066

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. The bit of the sport chrono that is essential is being able to change the drive mode from the steering wheel. I am not bothered about sport plus or the clock. My Macan does not have this facility and it is a pain to be fiddling around on the centre console for the sport button when I want it. Probably dangerous as well as it is distracting.

The car I drove had 18 way seats and I thought they were really good. I sat in another one with 14 way and they weren't as nice. Really not bothered about Porsche crests everywhere. Still considering the RWS.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Thanks,
Looks good but consider the following (budget is important) - 1), 5), 6), 11) are basic essentials (I know that sounds crass but)

1. 360 Panoramic View - essential
2. HUD - drop (unless you see value in it)
3. Rear Axle Steering (with PSP)
4. Charge port covers are the same as regular petron cap so won't be flimsy per se. Electric ones are fine but (in my case) can fail
5. Bose - essential
6. Pano Roof - essential given the dark interior, small windows, will look gloomy otherwise, resale
7. Sports Chrono - drop unless you see value in it, no PTV+ or PDCC so question the value
8. Extended Leather - a lot of plastic on show but it is pricey, better resale if that's important
9. Ambient Lighting - not sure
10. Electric Sport Sound - synthesised downshifts when in Sport and pressing on can be intoxicating
11. Black brushed aluminium door treads (silver looks brash as it is visible on the inside) for £0
12. Privacy glass
13. Driver memory / 14-way comfort - excellent
14. Comfort - if you have the PVTS+ then security concerns are lessoned as you need the separate fob to be present and should not be left in the vehicle.
15 Chrome window surrounds - personal choice but saves £'s

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks. The bit of the sport chrono that is essential is being able to change the drive mode from the steering wheel. I am not bothered about sport plus or the clock. My Macan does not have this facility and it is a pain to be fiddling around on the centre console for the sport button when I want it. Probably dangerous as well as it is distracting.

The car I drove had 18 way seats and I thought they were really good. I sat in another one with 14 way and they weren't as nice. Really not bothered about Porsche crests everywhere. Still considering the RWS.
There is a button on the steering wheel that can be setup anyway you want. MY be able to set this up for the sports mode.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have the surround view, folding mirrors and rear axle steering due to the width of the car. I am fine with base interior and sound system. I have a dog so the less leather the better. The base sound system gives more trunk height under rear window and with 20% hearing loss I can't tell. I have Bose in my other cars. The panoramic roof gives you the capability to use Porsche roof rack if that is useful to you. When I bought my car in US it was a mandatory option. The 14 way seats with cooling are good ( I'm in FL ). I regularly use Innodrive with the speed limit function shut off. Don't forget to spec the "electric" door labels so your car isn't thought to be a Panamera and it is free in US. The larger battery is also in my car.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a button on the steering wheel that can be setup anyway you want. MY be able to set this up for the sports mode.
Can‘t do this in the Macan. No idea in the Taycan, but I suspect not - unless someone has actually done it and tells me otherwise

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can‘t do this in the Macan. No idea in the Taycan, but I suspect not - unless someone has actually done it and tells me otherwise
I have the surround view, folding mirrors and rear axle steering due to the width of the car. I am fine with base interior and sound system. I have a dog so the less leather the better. The base sound system gives more trunk height under rear window and with 20% hearing loss I can't tell. I have Bose in my other cars. The panoramic roof gives you the capability to use Porsche roof rack if that is useful to you. When I bought my car in US it was a mandatory option. The 14 way seats with cooling are good ( I'm in FL ). I regularly use Innodrive with the speed limit function shut off. Don't forget to spec the "electric" door labels so your car isn't thought to be a Panamera and it is free in US. The larger battery is also in my car.
I just tried to add electric and it insists on adding Taycan at the rear which I have deleted. I think it looks a little busy at the back so I went with the free deletion

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My sales guy said you can but I would verify in person. It could save you a few quid if you only want the button on the steering wheel. Next time I go to the dealer I am going to verify in person but that may not be for a couple of weeks or more.

In regards to "porsche logo everywhere", I felt the same. However when I looked at these two low cost options and saw them in person, I felt that they added a touch of personalisation & class to the car for very low cost.

I've found this forum invaluable and also very interesting to see how different everyone is in regards to what is "must have" versus "nice" versus "useless" :)

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
My 2 pence...

My 4S was NOT a custom build, but it was a dealer-spec model close enough that I just took it "as is", and tried to ignore the silly/unwanted options.

Good suggestions above, there are ways to be sensible and economize with your own build.

My 4S has these options, some I wanted, some not (listed as +/- preferable):

+ pano roof (does add a nice openness to the cabin)
+ 14-way seats (18 seemed too overboard), I find them extremely comfortable
+ electric charge door ports (I think it's a nice design touch, always impresses the neighbours)
+ extended battery plus
+ Porsche LED matrix lighting (we get wild weather in Western Canada)
+ Porsche logo imprints, etc. ... these are low in cost and add character, as mentioned

NEUTRAL
o Mission-E wheels. Wouldn't have chosen these, but wow do I get a lot of comments on the wheels.
o Ceramic brakes. Again, nothing wrong at all with the stock clamps. These were a costly addition and almost a deal-breaker for me. But again, the handling is impressive and petrol-heads "LOVE" these brakes! One fellow almost salivated looking at my wheels recently.
o Aluminium door skids (along bottom of rail by door frame) ... it looks nice. But either is good.
o 'blacked out' trim. Again, I would have gone with chrome but the monochromatic theme kind of works well.
o I did NOT get the Porsche Taycan "sound" option. REGRETS on this one. The car is so quiet you actually can sneak up on pedestrians, so the safety element would be helpful.
o Chrono ... nah. Sure, it's nice. But in the end, the car goes super fast and how many launches are you going to do before you and your mate chuck up your fish and chips?

NEGATIVE
o Shoulda got the 'electric' lettering. People don't know what kind or model this car is, it's quite understated
o Shoulda got the tint 'comfort' glass option, this summer is quite hot
o Shoulda got the rear-steer and adaptive steer option, but the latter is available as a download (found this out after delivery, going to add it this week)
o Shoulda got 20" rims, not 21" with summer slicks. But again, my options were limited.

All the best, hope you build goes well. :)

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks to all. Food for thought.

On a slightly unrelated note, it was suggested that I should have it in Q4 - so October-December. I don’t know how this compares to others. The sales guy showed me his spreadsheet of people waiting for cars - and there are a lot! Lots of 4S as well. But quite a few were corporate and they prioritise private customers. Especially as a returning customer. Fingers crossed

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very clean spec. A few suggestions:
1. The rear Taycan 4S is currently silver/grey and I think does not look great with the black window surrounds. I would either specify black or delete.
2. The colour coded mirrors do make a difference - the dark grey plastic on the lower mirror feels and looks quite cheap.
3. The ACC I have found useful not just for motorway driving: it actually works quite well in city traffic. Sometimes at the end of a long day I find it a 'safety' bonus as I can use this whilst taking/making calls.
4. I have to park in a lot of very 'tight' spaces in different car parks each week. I therefore wanted RWS but either had a 6 month wait and uncertain trade-in or a car from the showroom floor: so no RWS. I moved from the Gen I series II Panamera and the size of the cars is very similar. I have found that the turning circle of the Taycan is better than the Panamera when moving forwards but about the same reversing. The rear camera is sharper but quite distorted compared to the Panamera - I am learning to adapt but finding the side mirrors more accurate. I have Park Assist but have never used it. Overall if I was ordering and had the money I would specify RWS, but I think you will be able to live without it. The biggest limitation I have found is that even with the raised ride height the front chin spoiler grazes the ground on one car park I use even moving very slowly and holding my breath whilst going down the entry ramp...

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. I was going to go with the model delete. Still in 2 minds about black or chrome window surrounds. And RWS.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag

Thanks,
Love your profile name ?

I have a blue 4S+ with (too many) options. Here is what I would change/add:

Skip the head up display. It’s very basic visual (no AR like Audi) and you have a gorgeous display in front of you.

Add the Porsche Electric Sport Sound - I use it all the time and it gives the car “a soul”.

Add the Deletion of Model Designation - makes the back more clea

Add the Rear-Axle Steering including Power Steering Plus - its very noticeable both in high and low speed.

Add the Insulated laminated glass - makes the car a lot quieter. Nice both when you want complete silence and also when listening to music.

Add the Comfort Access - a joy just to walk up to the car and it opens up. Also the leg kick function is nice when both hands are busy Carrying groceries ?

Add the Door Sill Guards brushed Aluminium in Black - it’s free and looks a lot better than the silver ones.

Add the BOSE® Surround Sound System - base sound system is crap and in a quiet car you will miss a good sound system.

Thats my 2 cents ?
Sponsored