flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Would like opinions from those that have operated a Taycan for a while. Specifically, if you could do it again would you still buy it? My Taycan will serve two purposes when and if I take delivery: it will be a sports car, and it will also be my daily driver for running errands, etc. My kids are gone so I’ll be solo in the car most of the time and with my wife every now and then. I think it will fulfill the sports car itch quite well. I traded in a 991.2 GTS (as well as a Tesla S) for the Taycan, and other than the noise factor of the GTS, I’m not worried about the Taycan satisfying my sports car itch.

But I am worried about the daily driver aspect. Software glitches including the 12v battery running down, wireless Apple Car Play but a promise, quirky a/c controls, marginal trunk size, buried PCM menus, ingress/egress for a tall person (B pillar in the way), the list goes on. For daily driving, creature comforts are important. I would hope that Porsche would fix s/w bugs and fine tune the PCM s/w, but if their response to the 12v battery draining down is any indicator, I don’t feel too warm and fuzzy about problems being addressed in a reasonable amount of time, or ever.

I'm inclined to take delivery and hope things are addressed, but then it’s a ton of cash that I’ll be paying. Thanks for your opinions!
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's funny, I think we both read the same thread and had the same reaction.

There are a lot of drawbacks on being an EV early adopter. They all seem to have buggy software early on, dealerships have only one tech that is qualified to work on them, and they're quirky.

With that said, Porsche has too much invested not to work on the problems. Even Jaguar, that built the iPace solely out of necessity, made big improvements to that car in the first year and a half. I think the pandemic & closures delayed Porsche's efforts but I'd wager they're working hard on OTA patches.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Of all the issues you listed, it's the ingress/egress that I worry about the most. I'm spoiled now with the Macan, because I think back to the challenges of getting in and out of the R8 I had before that. If you worry about the other stuff, then car forums are usually a bad place to be, because people don't post online when things work as they should, so issues often look a lot larger than they really are.

I also am trying to console myself over what will be a terrible resale value. :p

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have absolutely no regrets at all.
Yes there are some issues but they are with the infotainment syster and not the car controls or drive ability. The range so far is way better than I anticipated and the batttery charging and the way the car keeps the charge are very good.
I for one am actually surprised how much I can fit in the trunk. So I do not Thank You Seouls have Andy concerns. For the two of us we could go on long trips with plenty of luggage. I made some photos of the suitcases the car swallowed without any problems and still left space for a dozen or more wine bottles.
The climate controls and menus are just a question of getting used to, but they are not as intuitive as the best in class, I agree. But they are by no means any disaster either.
I am also convinced that Porsche will sort out a lot of the initial teething issues with the infotainment. In the meantime I am just entertained by the way the car drives and it’s presence on the road!;):)

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Would like opinions from those that have operated a Taycan for a while. Specifically, if you could do it again would you still buy it?
Yes, absolutely.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The Taycan is the perfect daily driver. It looks great, it drives great, it feels great. Being an early adopter has its risks, but I overwhelmingly enjoy the positives. The car brings me many, many smiles every time the door handle extends to greet me.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Best car I've owned. And I had a lot of nice cars "M5, panamera,c63s wagon and so on" I LOVE how the car looks, specially in the mamba Green color I got

20200619_180233.jpg
Is that a private garage? Very nice indeed.

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
... ingress/egress for a tall person (B pillar in the way)...
At 6'6", I was very worried about this too, even held onto a fairly new A6, thinking it might remain the DD.

The A6 has not moved since having my 4S for a month and nearly 2,000 miles, and it may not move until my son gets his license in a couple years. But I would say that like many vehicles that sit this low, a reasonable amount of flexibility helps. Some passengers have struggled to get out of the seat because its so low, but they are not tall.

As for your other concerns, I haven't had the 12V battery issue (fortunately, as that is a big deal). The NAV looks so good, and works well enough that I stopped using CarPlay. If you can part with Waze, you will probably agree. AC doesn't bother me one bit. Voice commands help sometimes when a button in a menu is hard to find (like 'turn my fan off'). I do find the seat ventilation a little weak. Connect App needs major work. Be careful to ensure you have a couple weeks to work out any kinks before you need to rely on it for something important such as road trip.

But at the end of the day, I have zero regrets, outside of some choices on my spec.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Best car I've owned. And I had a lot of nice cars "M5, panamera,c63s wagon and so on" I LOVE how the car looks, specially in the mamba Green color I got

20200619_180233.jpg
In addition to having no regrets about my Taycan. I have no regrets about my color and wheel choices. Mamba Green and Mission E.

Porsche Taycan Any Regrets with the Taycan? Taycan004

bushmg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 2017 911 Endurance Racing Edition,
Country flag
Software Glitches!

Once, all the displays went dark, and then rebooted up again. The driving functions were OK (I was almost stopped on a residential street), but losing all 4 displays at once was a shock.

Once I lost all sound. No audio at all, no Hello Porsche, and the Return chevron on the lower haptic panel didn't work. I had to take it to the dealer to get my sound back, but then the Driver Assistance features (ACC, LKA, LCA) were disabled. Once home, and after a 30 minute rest, everything started working.

Once, two error messages came up at start up: WBA Limited, and Automatic light control error. Again, a restart cleared them.

Another time, the SIM card wouldn't connect, so Sirius XM worked, but HD Radio and Apple Music didn't. Again, a power off cycle cleared it.

Now, there is a mirror problem. On reversing, the passenger mirror won't lower like it is supposed to.

Is anybody else having glitches like this, or do I have a possible lemon?

Last edited:

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Software Glitches!

Once, all the displays went dark, and then rebooted up again. The driving functions were OK (I was almost stopped on a residential street), but losing all 4 displays at once was a shock.

Once I lost all sound. No audio at all, no Hello Porsche, and the Return chevron on the lower haptic panel didn't work. I had to take it to the dealer to get my sound back, but then the Driver Assistance features (ACC, LKA, LCA) were disabled. Once home, and after a 30 minute rest, everything started working.

Once, two error messages came up at start up: WBA Limited, and Automatic light control error. Again, a restart cleared them.

Another time, the SIM card wouldn't connect, so Sirius XM worked, but HD Radio and Apple Music didn't. Again, a power off cycle cleared it.

Now, there is a mirror problem. On reversing, the passenger mirror won't lower like it is supposed to.

Is anybody else having glitches like this, or do I have a possible lemon?
I've had some bugs, but not as many as you. On occasion, my Apple Music and Internet Radio will fail to connect at all. When they are working, it takes a minute of so before the icons appear on the display. I had the nav system once display distances in miles but speak the directions in kilometers. My frunk hand wave sensor to open it stopped working (It was very sensitive when I first go the car). None of my bugs were/are more than annoyances that quickly disappear from my mind once I get underway.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I've had some bugs, but not as many as you. On occasion, my Apple Music and Internet Radio will fail to connect at all. When they are working, it takes a minute of so before the icons appear on the display. I had the nav system once display distances in miles but speak the directions in kilometers. My frunk hand wave sensor to open it stopped working (It was very sensitive when I first go the car). None of my bugs were/are more than annoyances that quickly disappear from my mind once I get underway.
A lot of these types of connectivity problems are most likely down to the choice of operator for the cellular connection. Nothing to blame the car for. If you have a bad LTE connection there is not much the Porsche can do. Some operators in some countries are absolutely diabolical with their coverage. Good luck to the guys in the UK when the start to use their cars. The coverage there is so bad it is untrue.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Well I jinxed myself, never had one issue, then changed the brightness from 0 to 5 on the console, it went black twice now, set the brightness back, we will see, as with all things a reboot of the pcm fixes it or let it set turned off for a while. As far as what would I have done different, I would have ordered the sport chrono, don't have individual or sport plus mode, (in drive mode) now if you put the chassis in sport plus mode, it almost growls and acts like a beast., still in love though, best car I have ever driven :)

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Two weeks ago, it was raining outside and I was pulling out from my residential complex. I saw a Ferrari 488 drive by and the driver looked over as he passed by. He was driving a bit aggressively. I caught up to him at the next red light. The light turned green, the all wheel drive engaged on the Taycan flawlessly in the rain and it was like the Starship Enterprise going into warp drive. The Ferrari was completely dusted. He probably had no idea what happened especially with the lack of noise from my car. As we both entered the Interstate I saw him hanging back until I exited. How could anyone with a Taycan have any regrets when you can overshadow almost anything on the road? It is an awesome piece of engineering. Years ago I owned a Porsche Panamera Turbo. It was one of my favorite cars I have owned. Whenever I did launch control with 3 other people in the car, everyone was left giggling. The Taycan is at a completely new level. It is a very easy car to drive as hard or as laid back as you want.
Sponsored