First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Greetings!

I have seen a few posts regarding RWD vs 4s but wanted to ask the question directly to you RWD owners. Do any of you regret not splurging for the 4S?

As background, I have never been a car enthusiast. Don't laugh, but I am upgrading from a Nissan Altima and planning to go with a RWD with around $23K in options. So I am sure the RWD will be a big wow for me, but have been watching a view videos that say the 4S is really the best, most balanced model.

I am not a speed hound. When I borrow my friends 911, I do occasionally like gunning it, but don't LOVE that car. Just too loud and the shifting is too jerky. When I first drove the Taycan, the tech geek in me just loved how it drove so much more than the 911. I suppose I value comfort and cool more than performance.

For me to go to the 4S with the same options will be another $18K (some of the options I selected for RWD like Air Suspension and Aluminum Sill guards come standard on 4S). That is a big chunk of change and may push my wife over the edge, but worth it?? Then I wonder if the Performance Battery Plus (which I have not optioned for the RWD since I am not a long distance driver) is more essential for 4S.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY7ADA2

Thanks!
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If you don’t test both cars and then decide what you like, then any regrets are on you. I have a 4s, I have driven both a 4s turbo and a rwd, I am satisfied with my choice. IMHO the rwd is an adequate car, and for you it might be fine. But it does fall way short of the 4s experience while the turbo is not as big a leap from the 4s.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Greetings!

I have seen a few posts regarding RWD vs 4s but wanted to ask the question directly to you RWD owners. Do any of you regret not splurging for the 4S?

As background, I have never been a car enthusiast. Don't laugh, but I am upgrading from a Nissan Altima and planning to go with a RWD with around $23K in options. So I am sure the RWD will be a big wow for me, but have been watching a view videos that say the 4S is really the best, most balanced model.

Thanks!
Good to see here again. No regrets going with RWD with $22K in options. Being in Florida like me I don't see the need for AWD unless someone wants the extra ~100+hp from 4S, Turbo, TS. I am happy to take the $ saved on 4S and add must-have options on the base. I'm sure I sent you my build code at sometime. If not here ya go: PM6QLTI9

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Greetings!

I am not a speed hound. When I borrow my friends 911, I do occasionally like gunning it, but don't LOVE that car. Just too loud and the shifting is too jerky. When I first drove the Taycan, the tech geek in me just loved how it drove so much more than the 911. I suppose I value comfort and cool more than performance.

For me to go to the 4S with the same options will be another $18K (some of the options I selected for RWD like Air Suspension and Aluminum Sill guards come standard on 4S). That is a big chunk of change and may push my wife over the edge, but worth it?? Then I wonder if the Performance Battery Plus (which I have not optioned for the RWD since I am not a long distance driver) is more essential for 4S.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY7ADA2

Thanks!
I test drove a Taycan 4S and bought a base model CT4. Not sure if that is a valid comparison to a RWD Taycan? What I can say is that I don’t notice any difference in enjoyment from the performance difference. The base CT4 is simply fabulous to drive and very quick

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
As far as I know, the only intrinsic difference between RWD and 4S is the smaller rear motor and lack of a front motor. Every other difference can be made up for with options. So if you are happy with having less power and no AWD, there's no reason to go to a 4S. Save the money, and spend it on other options -- or a nice vacation with your wife!

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (ordered), 911 Carrera S (992)
Country flag
I test drove the 4S, but opted for a RWD with £30k (around $35k) of options. I also had a fully loaded demonstrator 4S for 2.5 weeks.

1) I don’t miss the power. In normal (and even spirited) driving, I notice little if any difference. How often will you be racing?

2) My RWD has air suspension and PDCC, performance battery amongst other options, so I feel I have ticked the main performance options to narrow the gap.

In summary, I wouldn’t say the RWD is fine, ok, or acceptable etc, I would say it is a fantastic car in every way!

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
No regrets at all. Car will never go on a track and will likely never be driven in snow. Plenty of power for all of the spirited driving I'll do from time to time. As a daily driver and road trip car it's perfect. Loaded mine up with tech and kept it under $100K sticker even before the dealer discount. Love this car and if I had to do over would not change anything. (Oh and get your wife the massage seats... :))

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
This is great info. As for test driving, that has limitations. First, there are currently no Taycans at my dealership and few in the area. I did drive a RWD about a month ago and the 4S several months before that. Hard to compare. Of course, I remember the 4S' controlled launch being more powerful. However, test driving doesn't quite give you a good grasp of day to day driving. I continue to be interested in those people who have been living with the RWD.

Pennyroyal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD, 2022 Mercedes GLC
Country flag
Yours is a beautiful build and will give you great satisfaction. No regrets here with RWD. It is an amazing car. Another FL car here, now if we can just improve the FL charging infrastructure.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
You sound like you may be the ideal person for the RWD.

Maybe spend some extra on the Performance Battery Plus, as extra range is always handy.

If you don't need the extra power or 4WD then the RWD may be the better car for you. Longer range, lighter, precise steering.

Had mine 3 weeks and absolutely no regrets.

* But if they were the same price, I would have picked the 4S!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yours is a beautiful build and will give you great satisfaction. No regrets here with RWD. It is an amazing car. Another FL car here, now if we can just improve the FL charging infrastructure.
Hopefully the 2021-2023 EA expansion plan includes additional Lee/Collier county stations.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Appreciate thoughts on battery, but I am an intown driver. The farthest I drive from Sarasota is St. Pete/Tampa. All easily within range. I rarely rarely go beyond that, and if I did, I could charge (or take our Highlander). Just can't justify paying for the performance battery due to the occasional trip that would be nice to have 30-40 extra miles for. Would rather have other options.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It helps not only for in town range when usage is higher, but also resale. FWIW my current loaner with standard battery has 200 miles @ 100% SOC.
Sponsored