Stormtrooper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
That's the issue - trips. I don't want to have to take another car for road trips and until EA expands the network it is difficult for longer trips with a standard battery. Think about resale in the long term.
I would not hesitate to take my standard battery Taycan on a long trip, it has the intelligent range management option and it will map out the trip for me and tell me when I need to stop to charge and how long I need to charge. As for resale value the Taycan that we took on trade recently sold for MSRP and it was preowned, also the 2022 RWD Taycan has a $2,800 price increase, which will help resale values of the 2020 and 2021 Taycans. In this current COVID and chip shortage climate, all preowned Porsches are bringing top dollar and I don't see that trend ending anytime soon.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I would not hesitate to take my standard battery Taycan on a long trip, it has the intelligent range management option and it will map out the trip for me and tell me when I need to stop to charge and how long I need to charge.
It's a problem where there are no EA chargers and more than 200 miles between charges. (western US)

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just like every thread on this forum, those who chose what you're asking about all chime in to say they're happy. Those who didn't choose it will say they wouldn't be happy without it.

There is a lot of bias in buying something so expensive to rationalize your decisions. People also choose what they like and are generally happy with what they chose. It's not unheard of, but it's certainly uncommon for anyone on this forum to say they're disappointed with a decision they made regarding their Taycan purchase.

Stormtrooper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
It's a problem where there are no EA chargers and more than 200 miles between charges. (western US)
Electrify America has the nation’s largest open DC fast-charging network with more than 635 charging stations and more than 2,700 individual DC fast chargers. By the end of 2021, Electrify America plans to have a total of 800 charging stations and about 3,500 DC fast chargers open or under development.

Also here is a link to an article regarding a cross country trip in a VW ID.4, this VW EV has a range of 250 miles: https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/an...ountry-road-trip-with-the-volkswagen-id-4-ev/

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just like every thread on this forum, those who chose what you're asking about all chime in to say they're happy. Those who didn't choose it will say they wouldn't be happy without it.

There is a lot of bias in buying something so expensive to rationalize your decisions. People also choose what they like and are generally happy with what they chose. It's not unheard of, but it's certainly uncommon for anyone on this forum to say they're disappointed with a decision they made regarding their Taycan purchase.
Good point. However there seems to be a number of folks here that have traded in their Taycan to get newer ones. Interesting to see if the upgrade/downgrade model or add/remove options.

Some of the most divisive options I find on here on electric sound, interior selection and sports chrono. Some people really hate that electric sound (and are vocal about it) but poll is the majority like it.

Funny how this topic turned into debate on the battery...but still interesting.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Electrify America has the nation’s largest open DC fast-charging network with more than 635 charging stations and more than 2,700 individual DC fast chargers. By the end of 2021, Electrify America plans to have a total of 800 charging stations and about 3,500 DC fast chargers open or under development.

Also here is a link to an article regarding a cross country trip in a VW ID.4, this VW EV has a range of 250 miles: https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/an...ountry-road-trip-with-the-volkswagen-id-4-ev/
As I said earlier it's not there yet until EA expansion is complete. Still, without the bigger battery and driving spiritedly you won't get the rated range. Quote from another member:

"My real issue with range anxiety comes from the EA network. I had a successful trip last month, but there wasn't a station along the I-10 corridor that wasn't having an issue with at least one of the chargers. A year earlier I took it across Texas to Houston and had to stay the night in the middle of nowhere Junction, Texas, using a level 2 charger because their EA station was toast. I feel like as infrastructure for EVs continues to grow, this will get better and better, but right now travelling in an EV that isn't a Tesla is still sort of a harrowing experience."

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I wasn't going to comment on your initial comment regarding road trips but this regurgitating of promotional advertising is too much for me to not comment on.
you need to do a bit more research on the real world reliability of the EA network.
I won't begin on of my usual diatribes on this subject but your naivete will get you into some uncomfortable situations.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Funny how this topic turned into debate on the battery...but still interesting.
This debate is quite similar to another ongoing discussion here on standard interior vs full leather. Lot's of very different opinions and insights.

Despite where we each sit on these details, there is one thing I think we can all agree on. We are all unbelievably lucky to have or will soon have a Taycan in our lives. I know I am.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Each to their own, I spent more on my RWD than a Turbo, didn’t want the excessive power, but wanted the bells and whistles. Simply wanted a daily driver to tootle down to my factory in twice a week that didn’t look like a Tesla, wasn’t built like a Tesla and that after 2 years, hopefully I wouldn’t hate as much as my Tesla…….time will tell.

Reactions: B61

Stormtrooper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I wasn't going to comment on your initial comment regarding road trips but this regurgitating of promotional advertising is too much for me to not comment on.
you need to do a bit more research on the real world reliability of the EA network.
I won't begin on of my usual diatribes on this subject but your naivete will get you into some uncomfortable situations.
I certainly did not mean to step on any egos or start a major debate regarding the performance battery vs performance battery plus. I was merely wanting anyone that is on the fence to know that if they chose to get the most base Taycan it is still fantastic and a lot of car for the money. As far as Electrify Ameria goes yes they do have some growing pains, but they are improving every day. Also, I don't recommend a product because I happen to sell it, I recommend it because I live with it day to day and it is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned and I also am very fortunate to own it.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know your question was directed towards RWD owners, but I test drove both cars extensively before making a decision. It was an easy decision for me to go with the 4S. The RWD was not as fun to drive as all the YouTube car reviewers made it out to be. I tried really hard to like it, but I thought the RWD model was underpowered ?

The best comparison I can give is the RWD model drives like a luxury sedan (i.e. Audi A6, BMW 540i) while the 4S drives like a sports sedan (i.e. Audi RS6, BMW M5). You can't go wrong with either one — it just depends on what you're looking for in a driving experience.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I certainly did not mean to step on any egos or start a major debate regarding the performance battery vs performance battery plus. I was merely wanting anyone that is on the fence to know that if they chose to get the most base Taycan it is still fantastic and a lot of car for the money. As far as Electrify Ameria goes yes they do have some growing pains, but they are improving every day. Also, I don't recommend a product because I happen to sell it, I recommend it because I live with it day to day and it is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned and I also am very fortunate to own it.
my comment was not generated by battery size issues, it was sparked by the comments regarding EA. posting/buying into their promotional posting on here to people who have a lot more experience with the ins and outs of their network just won't fly. growing pains? Fail to charge issues are not growing pains, being forced to spend 4 hours extra to complete a 4 hour journey, being forced to drive 90+ miles to find a charger only to find that it to is not dispensing a charge is beyond growing pains. Porsche sold me a car today with the promise that I could use it's capabilities today, not you can use it a bit today and wait for them at some point down the road to be able to use the car at it's full capabilites.

their network, EA, is unreliable and cannot be depended on to supply the battery charging necessary for long trips.
Porsche promoted their network as a being reliable for taking the car on extended road trips today, not in some unspecified future when EA gets their system functioning reliably.

so while your car might be the best vehicle that you've ever owned, for me and others it is an expensive car that is only capable of being dependable withing 200+ miles of home and useless for it's intended purpose. so regardless of how wonderful of a driver the car is, the car is a fail because the fueling system is unreliable.

porsche is seriously tarnishing the brand with the many failings of this car, from the 12 v issues, to the random loss of power, to the plug and charge failures, to the EA failures, to the big massive fail of the inability to do the OTA updates, I have had the car in the shop for 8 days doing updates that tesla can do OTA, others had their cars bricked during the processes and lost use of their car for longer periods.

the car appears to have been released and marketed before it was really ready for prime.

one of these days the EV blogs will start reporting on these fails and porsche will have a lot of 'splaining' to do.

Addendum,

I am not bragging but I live in a very upscale community, there are many well to do folks here who like me appreciate fine automobiles, and we talk.

they know that I am well versed in the EV world, when one of them questions me about my absolutely gorgeous Porsche I tell the truth about the car, warts and all and guess what happens? that is one less guy who is not running down to the porsche store to look at one.

when I had my tesla in 2013 and it was a special car then, everyone came to me with questions about the car and I was mostly positive and I did mention the growing pains and how well tesla came through fixing the issues, when the model X came out, and that was a very flawed car, I warned many people to stay away from that car and some people still thank me.
now there are literally almost 20 teslas in this little community.

there are also some crazy, MBs, ferarris, maseratis and other exotics, I say that just to illustrate the point.
porsche is doing themselves a real disservice with this car.

as good as the ride in the taycan is the baggage that comes along with it really ruins the experience.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The best comparison I can give is the RWD model drives like a luxury sedan (i.e. Audi A6, BMW 540i) while the 4S drives like a sports sedan (i.e. Audi RS6, BMW M5). You can't go wrong with either one — it just depends on what you're looking for in a driving experience.
if someone likes the RWD taycan and is budget constrained they should be looking at the Audi version which is very taycan RWD like.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I know your question was directed towards RWD owners, but I test drove both cars extensively before making a decision. It was an easy decision for me to go with the 4S. The RWD was not as fun to drive as all the YouTube car reviewers made it out to be. I tried really hard to like it, but I thought the RWD model was underpowered ?

When I want to drive something that is more on the sports side of things I drive my other car:
Porsche Taycan Any RWD owners regret not going to 4S? image0
Porsche Taycan Any RWD owners regret not going to 4S? image1