Evnoob

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Appreciate thoughts on battery, but I am an intown driver. The farthest I drive from Sarasota is St. Pete/Tampa. All easily within range. I rarely rarely go beyond that, and if I did, I could charge (or take our Highlander). Just can't justify paying for the performance battery due to the occasional trip that would be nice to have 30-40 extra miles for. Would rather have other options.
I think that’s fair. I have the performance battery but rarely does a journey come down to the difference of 30 miles. You’ll be charging somewhere either way. The range is slightly better in the base RWD anyway, no?

fwiw - I test drove a Tesla3 and the Taycan on the same day and bought the Taycan on the spot. I would have preferred a 4S for the difference but I had to take what the dealer had on the shelf.
No regrets - I’m still happier being in the Taycan today than waiting months for a 4S or being in a Tesla.
Sponsored

Suffolkdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Taycan 2WD, Mercedes A200,
Country flag
Greetings!

I have seen a few posts regarding RWD vs 4s but wanted to ask the question directly to you RWD owners. Do any of you regret not splurging for the 4S?

As background, I have never been a car enthusiast. Don't laugh, but I am upgrading from a Nissan Altima and planning to go with a RWD with around $23K in options. So I am sure the RWD will be a big wow for me, but have been watching a view videos that say the 4S is really the best, most balanced model.

I am not a speed hound. When I borrow my friends 911, I do occasionally like gunning it, but don't LOVE that car. Just too loud and the shifting is too jerky. When I first drove the Taycan, the tech geek in me just loved how it drove so much more than the 911. I suppose I value comfort and cool more than performance.

For me to go to the 4S with the same options will be another $18K (some of the options I selected for RWD like Air Suspension and Aluminum Sill guards come standard on 4S). That is a big chunk of change and may push my wife over the edge, but worth it?? Then I wonder if the Performance Battery Plus (which I have not optioned for the RWD since I am not a long distance driver) is more essential for 4S.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY7ADA2

Thanks!
Hi Doug
I had a 4S on order but cancelled in when the whole Covid situation started. In retrospect I should have kept it on order as when I felt ready to order the lead times were around 6 months here in the UK and are not far off a year now. I couldn't find any half decent used ones (mostly 12 months old at current retail prices). Finally I opted for a RWD demonstrator loaded with many options that I certainly wouldn't have chosen and in a colour I wasn't overly keen on. This may sound like an odd decision but I didn't want to wait a year and there seemed to be fewer and fewer options available, also there is a big tax advantage here at the moment with EV company cars which I'm sure won't last.
The RWD is now back at the dealership for a few days having some minor wheel scuffs sorted and I have a 4S loan car which is probably of a similar price but without many of the options mine has.
The 4S is phenomenally fast if you want it to be but apart from the odd occassion I am unlikely to be able to or want to access that acceleration. The RWD is also fast and as an everyday car has more than enough power and acceleration. So in summary I am extremely happy with my RWD, I do worry that I may lose out when I come to sell it but the dealer has told me that defintely won't happen (they would say that of course). I've grown to like the colour (gentian blue) and I think that we'll be together for a long time.
David

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Hi Doug
I had a 4S on order but cancelled in when the whole Covid situation started. In retrospect I should have kept it on order as when I felt ready to order the lead times were around 6 months here in the UK and are not far off a year now. I couldn't find any half decent used ones (mostly 12 months old at current retail prices). Finally I opted for a RWD demonstrator loaded with many options that I certainly wouldn't have chosen and in a colour I wasn't overly keen on. This may sound like an odd decision but I didn't want to wait a year and there seemed to be fewer and fewer options available, also there is a big tax advantage here at the moment with EV company cars which I'm sure won't last.
The RWD is now back at the dealership for a few days having some minor wheel scuffs sorted and I have a 4S loan car which is probably of a similar price but without many of the options mine has.
The 4S is phenomenally fast if you want it to be but apart from the odd occassion I am unlikely to be able to or want to access that acceleration. The RWD is also fast and as an everyday car has more than enough power and acceleration. So in summary I am extremely happy with my RWD, I do worry that I may lose out when I come to sell it but the dealer has told me that defintely won't happen (they would say that of course). I've grown to like the colour (gentian blue) and I think that we'll be together for a long time.
David
this is great and validates my decision to go with a heavily optioned RWD, so THANK YOU. And, you could have worse colors than Gentian Blue which I actually think is a terrific color (I am going with Neptune Blue b/c my 911 was close to Gentian).

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I saw someone's Gentian Blue parked outside in the sun and it is gorgeous. Definitely the color I am going with. Now if I can only nail down my decision on interior. I like Chalk. Wife likes Limestone Beige. I saw standard Limestone Beige this weekend and it wasn't too bad...but Chalk!!

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I saw someone's Gentian Blue parked outside in the sun and it is gorgeous. Definitely the color I am going with. Now if I can only nail down my decision on interior. I like Chalk. Wife likes Limestone Beige. I saw standard Limestone Beige this weekend and it wasn't too bad...but Chalk!!
I am going Neptune Blue and Chalk. Beige is for grandpa's car. You only live once. HTH

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
If this is your first EV, you will likely find the instant torque of the Taycan (and EVs in general) to more than make up for the slower 0-60 of the RWD compared to the 4S when you need to overtake someone to make a move on the road.

Actually, this is my second EV (coming from a 4.2s 0-60 Model S) and even I was surprised how little drop off there is with my RWD when overtaking someone at speed. I definitely notice a lot less power when flooring from a dead stop, but if already at speed, the instant torque response makes you feel very nimble and gives you the confidence that you can make moves if needed.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I resemble that remark!
I sold my 911 b/c I felt I was resembling it too. It was 12 yo, so it was time. I'll be renewed when the Taycan arrives!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I sold my 911 b/c I felt I was resembling it too. It was 12 yo, so it was time. I'll be renewed when the Taycan arrives!
I chose cream beige for the interior of my Mercedes 500E in 1991 and still like it. The pale colour doesn't get anywhere near as hot inside on sunny days. I am selling it now since its good points are all achieved by the Taycan.
I would have gone for the Chalk (Crayon in the UK) or Basalt/Atacama beige Oleo but there was far too much of the interior still black which I want to avoid (I am bored rigid by the ubiquitous black interior.
Both Blackberry and Truffle appealed for their non-blackness but are both a bit too dark for me.
So beige it is :).
I am grandfather of 9 though.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am going Neptune Blue and Chalk. Beige is for grandpa's car. You only live once. HTH
Ha! That is not what I want to hear, but I plan to show your comment to my wife. :clap:

Actually, a lot of folks on the Gentian Blue group on this forum recommend the limestone beige. I actually like the color, but feel it is on TOO many surfaces (all of the doors, back of seats). I like the Chalk because of the contrasting black.

Maybe I should just go all black and be safe.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ha! That is not what I want to hear, but I plan to show your comment to my wife. :clap:

Actually, a lot of folks on the Gentian Blue group on this forum recommend the limestone beige. I actually like the color, but feel it is on TOO many surfaces (all of the doors, back of seats). I like the Chalk because of the contrasting black.

Maybe I should just go all black and be safe.
beige is "safe" which is exactly why I am getting Chalk. so is black. You'll be happy with whatever, so my advice is best summed up as, "happy wife, happy life"

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Ok. After test driving the 4S this weekend, I was just able to spend some good time test driving a RWD again this morning. It sealed my decision that the RWD is the right car for me. While the 0-60 was noticeably slower, I tend to agree with one reviewer I saw that said it is actually more fun to be able to push the car a bit while accelerating. With the 4S, you feel like you are already have to break in just a few seconds after launching. Whereas the RWD was more playful. Probably not explaining myself well, but ultimately the 4S just feels like too much power for day to day driving and I would feel like it is going to waste most of the time.

The RWD also just felt a little more nimbler to me. I know it technically is more light on its feet but was surprised I could feel it.

Also sealed the deal that I cannot wait until I get this car. December feels like a long time away!

BTW, the RWD I just drove didn't have air suspension (which I am getting) and it already drove so smooth.

It also didn't have sports chrono, and I am not sure now if I really need it now. Hitting the sport button was easy to do in order to do launch control. Maybe save my money on that and start putting it toward the PB+.

Anyways, thank you all so much for your invaluable feedback on this post.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok. After test driving the 4S this weekend, I was just able to spend some good time test driving a RWD again this morning. It sealed my decision that the RWD is the right car for me. While the 0-60 was noticeably slower, I tend to agree with one reviewer I saw that said it is actually more fun to be able to push the car a bit while accelerating. With the 4S, you feel like you are already have to break in just a few seconds after launching. Whereas the RWD was more playful. Probably not explaining myself well, but ultimately the 4S just feels like too much power for day to day driving and I would feel like it is going to waste most of the time.

The RWD also just felt a little more nimbler to me. I know it technically is more light on its feet but was surprised I could feel it.

Also sealed the deal that I cannot wait until I get this car. December feels like a long time away!

BTW, the RWD I just drove didn't have air suspension (which I am getting) and it already drove so smooth.

It also didn't have sports chrono, and I am not sure now if I really need it now. Hitting the sport button was easy to do in order to do launch control. Maybe save my money on that and start putting it toward the PB+.

Anyways, thank you all so much for your invaluable feedback on this post.
Mine also supposedly arrives in December. Fingers crossed. FWIW I did not order the Sport Chrono package because I had a clock and racing features on the dash of my 911 S and never used it. I know there are other features included but I don’t believe they add much to the experience. I’m undecided on air suspension because I really want the rear wheel steering to assist with parking in tight spaces. That would make the wife very happy. Speaking of the wife, she could not drive the 911 because it was a manual, now, I have to get used to the idea of sharing a Porsche. I’m not at all sure I’m ready for that!

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
this is great and validates my decision to go with a heavily optioned RWD, so THANK YOU. And, you could have worse colors than Gentian Blue which I actually think is a terrific color (I am going with Neptune Blue b/c my 911 was close to Gentian).
Me too, I ordered a RWD with very heavy optioned (more than $50K). I think I would love it when it arrives.
Sponsored