First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Here’s an funny entertaining review of a base RWD model

I still woulda chosen a 4Sif they’d had one, but I don’t regret having a Taycan.

That review validates not spending money you don’t need to for the reward just having *any* Taycan gives.
Sponsored

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag

I still woulda chosen a 4Sif they’d had one, but I don’t regret having a Taycan.

That review validates not spending money you don’t need to for the reward just having *any* Taycan gives.
Enjoyed that he's a funny dude. But he voted against the PB and air suspension, so now I am confused all over again.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Don't be confused: get PASM and PB+ :)

Evnoob

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Enjoyed that he's a funny dude. But he voted against the PB and air suspension, so now I am confused all over again.
I don’t think he dissed them, just said you could save your money. There’s a few people on this forum that have driven both springs and air and said both are amazing. I guess the one thing I’d miss about air is the adjustable ride height, but apparently for the driving experience, there’s nothing in it.

Same for the sound. Personally I loved it, and would pay (did pay) £500 for it. But how much would I care not to have it? Meh. It’s no deal breaker.

I think the point is, you can’t buy a bad Taycan. Perhaps the reason that most people defend their option choices is because despite the negatives in the video (which I mostly agree with - center storage for instance) is because you can’t go far wrong.

If you get the small battery and spring suspension there’s little change the the experience. Maybe somebody will care on resale, but his point is that you can choose if £4.5k is worth it for the extra 30 miles or so.
I have the PB, but in practice, does it make a difference? If I were more budget conscious I’d probably skip it. We can only guess what effect it
Will have on resale for now, but does it matter when you own one - I’d say probably not. Unless you happen to have a commute that’s 30 miles over the range.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

I’m going to disagree with him on the recup button. I use that all of the time.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I don’t think he dissed them, just said you could save your money. There’s a few people on this forum that have driven both springs and air and said both are amazing. I guess the one thing I’d miss about air is the adjustable ride height, but apparently for the driving experience, there’s nothing in it.

Same for the sound. Personally I loved it, and would pay (did pay) £500 for it. But how much would I care not to have it? Meh. It’s no deal breaker.

I think the point is, you can’t buy a bad Taycan. Perhaps the reason that most people defend their option choices is because despite the negatives in the video (which I mostly agree with - center storage for instance) is because you can’t go far wrong.

If you get the small battery and spring suspension there’s little change the the experience. Maybe somebody will care on resale, but his point is that you can choose if £4.5k is worth it for the extra 30 miles or so.
I have the PB, but in practice, does it make a difference? If I were more budget conscious I’d probably skip it. We can only guess what effect it
Will have on resale for now, but does it matter when you own one - I’d say probably not. Unless you happen to have a commute that’s 30 miles over the range.
performance battery plus adds HP right?

Evnoob

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
really? What for?

So sometimes you like to coast like ICE Porsche and sometimes you like to one pedal drive like a Nissan Leaf? :)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
really? What for?

So sometimes you like to coast like ICE Porsche and sometimes you like to one pedal drive like a Nissan Leaf? :)
It doesn’t have one pedal driving. It’s just a gradual deceleration when it’s active.

I usually have it off and then I briefly turn it on if I’m going down a hill, if I accelerated more than I wanted, or if the speed limit drops.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
really? What for?

I use it to slow the car when approaching stopped cars from a distance. If used judiciously it is just another tool in the toolbox

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I only use it to turn the recup on. A bit annoying there is no setting to leave it on as standard. Coming from a Tesla really don’t like the feeling of coasting

Evnoob

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hey if you want to use the feature, I get it. Like a poor mans innodrive in auto. Not super reliable but it’s a useful tool in the box, agreed.

But I think the point is that whether you love it or hate it, it’s a driving style thing.

So you aren’t going to need to change your mind frequently so it’s a waste of steering wheel space. And it’s annoying that like many other “preferences” don’t remember the last setting.

Better that they bury that feature in the PCM. Let you set it once and forget about it. That’s one more button that could be used to operate the radio.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey if you want to use the feature, I get it. Like a poor mans innodrive in auto. Not super reliable but it’s a useful tool in the box, agreed.

But I think the point is that whether you love it or hate it, it’s a driving style thing.

So you aren’t going to need to change your mind frequently so it’s a waste of steering wheel space. And it’s annoying that like many other “preferences” don’t remember the last setting.

Better that they bury that feature in the PCM. Let you set it once and forget about it. That’s one more button that could be used to operate the radio.
I don’t see it as being anything at all like a poor man’s innodrive. More like an EV man’s clutch pedal, as it feels similar to having the clutch pedal pushed in with recup off and released with recup on. That’s the closest comparison I can make. Others as well.

So, you can’t just set it and forget it, not the the way I use it. I’m frequently turning it off and on. So, it’s placement on the wheel suits me just fine.

I agree, it’s a driving style thing though. I’ve said as much previously.

ives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 4 Gran Coupe, Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
Did a 2nd testdrive with both RWD and 4S yesterday and will likely place an order for a low specced 4S. With a previous driving experience, It was easier to focus on the similarities and differences this time round:
* RWD feels noticeably lighter/nimbler. 4S makes you feel as if you can do anything with it and it well keep on the road, RWD that it will play around a bit
* 4S has a lot more power, but you also have to go find it in the sport/sport plus modes. In normal, not much difference between the two
* RWD has that nice, fast EV feel while driving, but from a standstill, it's not blow your mind fast. In Sport plus with launch control, it definitely felt faster.
* Speaking of sport chrono, was quite quickly convinced that you should order it, just because of the button. You want to be able to switch modes quickly.

Overall very close, my preference was (just) with the 4S because of the better speed, I preferred the more stable handling and in a renting situation, the monthly payment doesn't differ that much between both options.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Did a 2nd testdrive with both RWD and 4S yesterday and will likely place an order for a low specced 4S. With a previous driving experience, It was easier to focus on the similarities and differences this time round:
* RWD feels noticeably lighter/nimbler. 4S makes you feel as if you can do anything with it and it well keep on the road, RWD that it will play around a bit
* 4S has a lot more power, but you also have to go find it in the sport/sport plus modes. In normal, not much difference between the two
* RWD has that nice, fast EV feel while driving, but from a standstill, it's not blow your mind fast. In Sport plus with launch control, it definitely felt faster.
* Speaking of sport chrono, was quite quickly convinced that you should order it, just because of the button. You want to be able to switch modes quickly.

Overall very close, my preference was (just) with the 4S because of the better speed, I preferred the more stable handling and in a renting situation, the monthly payment doesn't differ that much between both options.
Interesting report. Thanks for sharing.

Did you find chrono may be more or less important for RWD? Did you try just pushing the Sport button on bottom of panel and the chassis button on dash?

Did either have the PB+ and did you get sense it affected RWD performance on way or another. Seems lots of differing of opinions on affect of PB+ performance on RWD. Most seem to opine no noticeable affect.
Sponsored