Any RWD owners regret not going to 4S?

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Did a 2nd testdrive with both RWD and 4S yesterday and will likely place an order for a low specced 4S. With a previous driving experience, It was easier to focus on the similarities and differences this time round:
* RWD feels noticeably lighter/nimbler. 4S makes you feel as if you can do anything with it and it well keep on the road, RWD that it will play around a bit
* 4S has a lot more power, but you also have to go find it in the sport/sport plus modes. In normal, not much difference between the two
* RWD has that nice, fast EV feel while driving, but from a standstill, it's not blow your mind fast. In Sport plus with launch control, it definitely felt faster.
* Speaking of sport chrono, was quite quickly convinced that you should order it, just because of the button. You want to be able to switch modes quickly.

Overall very close, my preference was (just) with the 4S because of the better speed, I preferred the more stable handling and in a renting situation, the monthly payment doesn't differ that much between both options.
I definitely agree with everything you said and when it was all said and done I went for a highly spec'd RWD over the 4S which would have been $40,000 more expensive. The 4s was faster but I liked the way the RWD drove much better. I had both cars for about an hour a piece and tried to put them through their paces. Regretting not getting Sport Chrono now but oh well.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Just bought a 2021 base Taycan off the lot - at minimal spec (cherrymetallic/PB+/20" wheels) it was $35k less than any of my 4s builds on the configurator. A bit slow off the line, but the mid-range punch is more than enough for my needs. My first rwd car in ~20 years, and surprisingly it actually feels like it if one gets on a bit - nice!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did a 2nd testdrive with both RWD and 4S yesterday and will likely place an order for a low specced 4S. With a previous driving experience, It was easier to focus on the similarities and differences this time round:
* RWD feels noticeably lighter/nimbler. 4S makes you feel as if you can do anything with it and it well keep on the road, RWD that it will play around a bit
* 4S has a lot more power, but you also have to go find it in the sport/sport plus modes. In normal, not much difference between the two
* RWD has that nice, fast EV feel while driving, but from a standstill, it's not blow your mind fast. In Sport plus with launch control, it definitely felt faster.
* Speaking of sport chrono, was quite quickly convinced that you should order it, just because of the button. You want to be able to switch modes quickly.

Overall very close, my preference was (just) with the 4S because of the better speed, I preferred the more stable handling and in a renting situation, the monthly payment doesn't differ that much between both options.

I agree with buying a 4S but as a 4S owner I would like to comment on a couple of things.
On daily driving, the car feels marginally faster on Sport mode vs Normal. The different is probably the transmission being on 1st gear instead of 2nd. I honestly don't think it makes that much difference. I often switch from Normal to Sport but besides of the transmission "kick" I don't feel much else.

You don't need Sport Chrono to enable Sport mode quickly. There is a "Sport" button in the lower right of the bottom screen, which you can easily push. Sport Chrono gives you the Individual mode and the steering wheel dial which but again for getting from Normal to Sport, the Chrono package is not that useful.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
You don't need Sport Chrono to enable Sport mode quickly. There is a "Sport" button in the lower right of the bottom screen, which you can easily push. Sport Chrono gives you the Individual mode and the steering wheel dial which but again for getting from Normal to Sport, the Chrono package is not that useful.
Doesn’t Sport Chrono also provide an additional Sports Plus mode? What’s the difference between Sports and Sports Plus modes?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Doesn’t Sport Chrono also provide an additional Sports Plus mode? What’s the difference between Sports and Sports Plus modes?
Drive mode setting of Sport Plus and Chassis setting of Sport Plus.

In my CT4 without chrono pack this drive mode sport plus setting doesn’t exist. As this pic was taken in a 4S with chrono I don’t know if the chrono pack adds the drive mode sport plus setting in a 4.

I toggled between sport and sport plus in this 4S and the only difference I could notice was that it turns on the sound.

Between normal and sport there is more of a difference similar to gears changing up later and suspension feels tighter round bends.

Porsche Taycan Any RWD owners regret not going to 4S? FA8811FC-8B1D-440E-9983-B222C03575D1

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you have the air suspension you can set the chassis to sport plus by pushing the suspension button on the instrument cluster.
Besides the chasis the sport chrono package also gives you a sport plus drive mode which is supposed to improve the thermal management of the battery but as others have said the battery gets hot after a few laps on the track so it is unclear what the benefit of sport plus mode really is.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Lol I wish Porsche would be more forthcoming and precise on the difference between Sports and Sports Plus drive modes.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I only use it to turn the recup on. A bit annoying there is no setting to leave it on as standard. Coming from a Tesla really don’t like the feeling of coasting
Coming from T - I :involve: coasting!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Regretting not getting Sport Chrono now but oh well.
I also agree, rather have a well spect RWD than a poor man 4S. There are a lot of terrific options, like RWS, Sound proofing, etc... They give you a much better overall experience, than a little extra woops.

I don't have the Chrono and have not missed it in over a year. Won't order it for my next Porsche.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Don't forget the RWD PB+ is the fastest of all Taycans when looking at the 0-300 miles figure. ?

Goldeneyez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GL350
Country flag
We’ve put 1000 miles on our RWD since receiving it 3 weeks ago, and it is all that we need, period. I live in coastal Southern California, which means equal time on freeways, city and suburban roads driving between 30-80 mph. As others have mentioned, if you’re driving above 50 mph, it takes absolutely nothing to hit 90 mph by barely pressing the accelerator. I frequently have to slow down so I don’t get a ticket! We decided to go with a nicely optioned RWD over a 4s, and it was the right decision!

Favorite options: ice gray, RAS (turns on dime, loved it as soon as I left the dealer and had to make u-turn to head back toward home, also amazing for parking), air suspension, full leather, premium package (sunroof and Bose), 20” turbo Aeros and PB+ = my range has already increased from 210 to 280 miles. Kids’ favorite option: dynamic ambient lighting that changes with the mood of the music. :) We are absolutely thrilled with our RWD Taycan!

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
I have had my Ice Grey RWD PB+ for almost 4 months with 21 inch Taycan Exclusive wheels & a bucket load of options. Zero regret choosing over 4s.
Travel to Birmingham every other week for football & mightily impressed with comfort & range.
Please see attached.
Thanks.
Porsche Taycan Any RWD owners regret not going to 4S? 1632123660582
Sponsored