Any way to have CarPlay only come up when I push the CarPlay button?

gasman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
Since the update to the Taycan 2020 model, the Apple CarPlay is now wireless. I prefer using the Porsche system and only use CarPlay for Waze integration. Is there a way to have CarPlay only come up when I push the CarPlay button. Now when I turn the car on, the music plays for about 30 seconds and then a screen comes on telling me to use CarPlay.
Sponsored

VJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Since the update to the Taycan 2020 model, the Apple CarPlay is now wireless. I prefer using the Porsche system and only use CarPlay for Waze integration. Is there a way to have CarPlay only come up when I push the CarPlay button. Now when I turn the car on, the music plays for about 30 seconds and then a screen comes on telling me to use CarPlay.
I agree, CarPlay should not turn on as default. It should only turn on when needed or atleast we should have an option of default vs. manual

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I agree, CarPlay should not turn on as default. It should only turn on when needed or atleast we should have an option of default vs. manual
Absolutely true, but does anyone know how to switch off the default start-up of wireless CarPlay when the car is turned on while the iPhone is in or near the car?

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
No idea if it is possible. Lots of little things in the update are dumb like this...

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
If you’re willing to disable Bluetooth you can use that to control whether CarPlay connects or not (CarPlay requires both Bluetooth and WiFi). Just turn on Bluetooth on your phone if you want CarPlay to connect. Turn it off to disconnect/prevent connecting.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have to say there MUST be a way; the reason that I say this is that this does not happen to me. Sirius XM takes a little while to load, but it starts shortly after I start the car, and stays on even after CarPlay connects. For me, the car remembers what I was doing last before shutting off the car. Does that not work that way for those of you on this thread?

B_TaycanTurbo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Having the same issue after the update. Prior to the software update, it would usually remember what I was listening to when last turned off and open that. Now I get about thirty seconds of radio before immediately switching over to carplay. I like CarPlay and will probably use it frequently but, like you, don't want it to automatically decide to use it.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Having the same issue after the update. Prior to the software update, it would usually remember what I was listening to when last turned off and open that. Now I get about thirty seconds of radio before immediately switching over to carplay. I like CarPlay and will probably use it frequently but, like you, don't want it to automatically decide to use it.
Hmm. Since we all have the update, it seems like it should at least be the same kind of behavior.

I have a theory, that I will test later, but will offer in case someone else has time to test it before I do. On the next drive, don't use Waze or Maps for navigation, but do use Music for a while. If you can, close Waze and Maps on your phone to ensure that it is not "active." Then switch to Satellite for a little while before you park and shut down the car. My theory is that Waze and/or Maps are the culprit here for taking over the system on the next startup.

OP
OP

gasman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
After speaking with Porsche, the only solution given to me was to click on "devices" from the main screen and click the CarPlay icon to turn it off. The bluetooth icons will turn blue. CarPlay is now deactivated and if you want to use CarPlay, you will have to click the CarPlay icon again. The car will remember whether you left it on or off.

andyxxl

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 S
Country flag
same here.
just disabled wireless carplay because this sucks...

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
It's simple to do...
First delete your device from the list by swiping left
Find new device on carplay and connect the iphone
When the PCM ask to you if you want connect the phon with pcm or carplay answer PCM
After that you will be able to connect the iphone with carplay simply by touching carplay symbol on list of device.
If you switch off the car with carplay connected you will have carplay connected again at restart, buy if you disconnect carpaly after using it before swicth off the car you will not have carplay connected at restart.
Sorry for my bad english

Edit:
If you have carplay connected but not used and the car switch to carpaly alone maybe there is some app open that use mic function, i had one of this and when it was open in background the car switch on carplay automatically. (maybe alexa or google do this)
Try to close all the app in background and look what app enable this problem
When i have time i will make a video.

Last edited:

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
After speaking with Porsche, the only solution given to me was to click on "devices" from the main screen and click the CarPlay icon to turn it off. The bluetooth icons will turn blue. CarPlay is now deactivated and if you want to use CarPlay, you will have to click the CarPlay icon again. The car will remember whether you left it on or off.
Thank you for this simple fix, works for me.

edit: turned it back on, as I wasn't comfortable losing my Waze alerts. Just in time too; that very same day, Waze alerted me to an unmarked mobile speed camera :whew:

Last edited:

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not a solution IMHO, still button pushes. Sadly the SW doesn't store enough configuration data. By
default it should come up to the last things the car was setup for (and this should be different for each driver/fob). Not only radio but driving mode, chassis height, sport sound, recuperation etc.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I use AA but I think Car Play has similar functionality. Have you tried going into iPhone settings/General/Car Play and removing all the music apps? Just a thought....
Sponsored