Any way to tell real-time which gear the Taycan is in?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I'm trying to track down a whining noise at 50mph, and it might be related to which gear the Taycan rear transmission happens to be in? Is there any way to get the Taycan to display which gear the rear is in?
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I don’t think so. But at 50mph it will be in the lower ratio in sport mode and the higher ratio in normal mode. You could switch between them whilst maintaining a steady speed and it should switch between the 2 ratios

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think so. But at 50mph it will be in the lower ratio in sport mode and the higher ratio in normal mode. You could switch between them whilst maintaining a steady speed and it should switch between the 2 ratios
Yea, the noise goes away when I switch from Sport to Normal, but does not come back if I switch back to sport, unless I stop the car and accelerate. I also found that even if I start in Sport, if I accelerate faster to a higher speed and then slow down to 50, the noise is not there either. So it would seem, at 50mph, the transmission is not guaranteed to be in the same gear - it all depends how you get there.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Yea, the noise goes away when I switch from Sport to Normal, but does not come back if I switch back to sport, unless I stop the car and accelerate. I also found that even if I start in Sport, if I accelerate faster to a higher speed and then slow down to 50, the noise is not there either. So it would seem, at 50mph, the transmission is not guaranteed to be in the same gear - it all depends how you get there.
I have the same. It isn't noticeable in Sport Plus, due to the sport sound covering it up...probably would be if I deselected the sound. In Sport mode it is very noticeable, as a combination hum/growl noise, accompanied with a very slight resonance.

When I switch to Normal mode while this is occurring, it immediately disappears. I am certain it is the Taycan holding low gear at near the upper end of its limit when in Sport, and probably Sport Plus mode...then shifting into high gear that Normal Mode is restricted to.

I have not noticed the Taycan downshifting into low gear while decelerating, though in Sport Plus the sport sound occasionally will simulate a throttle blip. I don't think there's really any need to downshift in this scenario, unless the car is being driven aggressively.

I believe all I've experienced with this is normal behavior, and while it isn't objectionable, I find myself mostly preferring the silent power delivery in Normal mode. The torque of the Turbo model we have is more than adequate in the single-gear Normal mode. Given much of our local driving is done around 50-60 m.p.h., holding low gear at these speeds is neither efficient, nor particularly pleasant.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car shifts from first to second at 49 mph in Sport mode. Don’t notice any unusual hum at 49 but rarely if ever hold the speed right there, so it may be there. Usually flying through that speed range.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
This is somewhat of a known issue, and more obvious on RWD cars. RWD cars stay in first gear in normal mode until the switch point, while AWD cars will start in second gear in normal mode.

Some people have gotten their motor assemblies replaced (which includes the transmission) but it tends to come back. I think it's just a quirk/design flaw of the transmission system.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
OP you're not alone. I had my drive unit replaced in 2021 for a noisy first gear.
Porsche Taycan Any way to tell real-time which gear the Taycan is in? drive unit

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
This is somewhat of a known issue, and more obvious on RWD cars. RWD cars stay in first gear in normal mode until the switch point, while AWD cars will start in second gear in normal mode.

Some people have gotten their motor assemblies replaced (which includes the transmission) but it tends to come back. I think it's just a quirk/design flaw of the transmission system.
my dealer is denying this exist. even went on test drive with another car and it did not have it. but they said it sounds the same. I was scratching my head.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my dealer is denying this exist. even went on test drive with another car and it did not have it. but they said it sounds the same. I was scratching my head.
Older people lose hearing, as do people who are exposed to loud noises often. Can you use a microphone and show the audio frequency spectrum. There is probably more than one app available to do that for your phone.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Older people lose hearing, as do people who are exposed to loud noises often. Can you use a microphone and show the audio frequency spectrum. There is probably more than one app available to do that for your phone.
They were both young, they just dont want to do the work. the funny thing is the manager told me the issue exist but the shopforemen acts like my car is the first car they've heard this issue. the car they brought out to test had a very loud groaning noise at 5-20mph, asked them if the car is a lemon or why its making that sound they ignored my question. very frustrating.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They were both young, they just dont want to do the work. the funny thing is the manager told me the issue exist but the shopforemen acts like my car is the first car they've heard this issue. the car they brought out to test had a very loud groaning noise at 5-20mph, asked them if the car is a lemon or why its making that sound they ignored my question. very frustrating.
Perhaps Porsche quality is being sacrificed for profits to drive the new shares price.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps Porsche quality is being sacrificed for profits to drive the new shares price.
I believe it! Every time I take my car in, their service bay is flooded with Taycans. My heaters part is 5 weeks out and they don't want to fix this issue.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Picking this one back up - I have a strange resonance/humming that starts around 50MPH in Sport and Sport Plus. If I change over to Normal or Range, the sound goes away. I don't find it awful, though I prefer the silence and am concerned that there's more than just sound concerned. Bringing the car in next Wednesday to the dealer and will report back.
Sponsored