Anybody else bothered by how the VLC roof looks on the outside vs regular pano?

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
around 11:15 on RBR's new GTS ST video...

I posted about this same concern on a different thread but dismissed it based on CarWow's video suggesting it looks the same. But RBR's video shows it is clearly not the same. The VLC roof shows the cutout whereas the regular pano roof hides the opening's borders because it appears more tinted from the outside - a cleaner look that I desire. I currently have VLC spec'd in my GTS order, but now strongly considering removing it just for this very petty reason.
Sponsored

Pmsl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I also have a GTS on order and wanted to add the VLC to my spec but this does make me wonder whether it is a good idea. With so few real life videos on the GTS (sedan) and the limited number of GTS in showrooms (none that I have seen so far with VLC) it does feel a bit like ordering blindly. Probably still at least 3 months before my lock date so hopefully I will be able to see one with VLC in the flesh/metal before that…

Last edited:

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
around 11:15 on RBR's new GTS ST video...

I posted about this same concern on a different thread but dismissed it based on CarWow's video suggesting it looks the same. But RBR's video shows it is clearly not the same. The VLC roof shows the cutout whereas the regular pano roof hides the opening's borders because it appears more tinted from the outside - a cleaner look that I desire. I currently have VLC spec'd in my GTS order, but now strongly considering removing it just for this very petty reason.
I wasn't optioning the VLC roof, but now I've seen it from above, it looks like a picture frame with the black borders.

Not a good look.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Always felt it was a gimmick. Feel more so now.

2.5k "saved".

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This made me smile.
Here is a guy with almost the opposite taste to me.
He spent loads of the review on the faux sound which I wouldn't pay £0.02 for and would be happy not to have at all, I haven't chosen it on my CT4S order.

He then goes into raptures about the expensive VLC roof and plays with it whilst driving, even though he can't see it without looking over his shoulder.

The standard ally roof is the best looking Taycan solution anyway, for me, with the ridges extending the 911 like bonnet crease lines I like it a lot. When I drove a Taycan I couldn't tell it had the pano roof from the driver's seat and it spoils the look with the paler colours IMO.

three cheers for options!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
As. I noted elsewhere I was unimpressed with this guys lack of knowledge about certain aspects of the car - just another reviewer, rather underwhelming and far better out there.

Do like the lines of the solid roof although as a first time pano roof user, I have to say, the effect of spaciousness and light in the cabin it provides is really pleasant and much more of a ‘feature’ than simply the added views for (mostly rear seat) passengers; and as yet, in Houston I am not experiencing any heat issues nor adverse light issues when driving that some complain about in FAR less sunny climates!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
That comparative shot also shows that the ST, particularly in GTS trim, should have the option for rear window shroud in gloss black.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
My VLC will be a cap and some sun cream for the two days a year I will need it.

Cost: £14.98.
If you buy the Porsche equivalent options, move the decimal place two to the right 😁

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
If you buy the Porsche equivalent options, move the decimal place two to the right 😁
Of course! Though I did just take a look at the Formula E Porsche Team Cap.

£28.00 including VAT

A positive bargain over the VLC. Does a very similar thing, too!

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
In fairness the CT is under the shade of the tree, and the GTS is under the clear blue sky.
No doubt there is a difference, but I think the above lighting conditions really exaggerate things. It’s probably way more subtle most of the time.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
In fairness the CT is under the shade of the tree, and the GTS is under the clear blue sky.
No doubt there is a difference, but I think the above lighting conditions really exaggerate things. It’s probably way more subtle most of the time.

Hmmm. Maybe not. You can see the reflection of trees on the CT and sky on the GTS but consider the angle of the picture being taken. A more telling sign, IMO, is the amount of light on the asphault next to both cars, which seems to be similar. No?

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
I think the real comparison must include whether or not the VLC pano is dimmed or clear. If it's the latter, it's not really an apple to apples comparison. If it is dimmed, then it definitely does not look as sleek.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Lol this thread... Anyways, the supplied picture above is not a good representation of cars without the variable light control. Here's one that is.

Porsche Taycan Anybody else bothered by how the VLC roof looks on the outside vs regular pano? roof
Sponsored