Anybody Open the Fuse Box in the Passenger (Right Hand) Footwell?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I'm looking to get access to the fuse box in the Right Hand (US Passenger) Footwell. I'ld like to find a fuse position I can tap for a Radar Detector and my Cell Phone.

I see it identified in the Owner's Manual and the Good To Know App but the panel doesn't seem to have any indication that it is removable. I'm curious if anyone has taken the panel off before I start tugging on something and break a clip, etc...
Sponsored

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks!

I ultimately figured it out. (I wanted to use the fuse panel on the right hand side of the car cause my radar detector mounts to the right of the mirror). However, I do fully endorse running the power cable along the headliner and then down the a-pillar as the other thread suggests. I've been doing it that way for years and its very neat and easy.

- To access the fuse box in the Right Hand Footwell, its easiest to remove the upper (fuzzy) trim panel above the foot well. It only requires pulling back two trim pins/rivets so its pretty easy and makes access a little easier. I need to run a wire up there anyway.

- The next thing I needed to do was find a good ground point for my new circuit. (This was actually MORE of a head scratcher than finding a fuse to tap). The most convenient place near the right side fuse box is a torx head screw (fwd and above the fuse box) which helps hold the dashboard to the vehicle. (Dont worry, there are two of them right next to each other and we are only going to loosen one of them - not remove it). Just have a long ground wire for your new circuit with a large spade terminal pre-crimped on the end. (I used a "yellow" spade terminal and folded the stripped wire back on its own insulation before I crimped it. I didn't really need to use a large wire for this service - but I did need a large spade terminal). You can then just loosen that torx screw, slide the spade terminal under it, and then tighten it back up.Its a good solid ground. I have tested it.

- The next task to do is find a fuse (or empty slot) which you can tap that is switched live only when the car is "on". There are three rows of fuses in this box. I tested a couple of empty slots in the Upper Row (Row "A" in the Good To Know App) and it looks like that row is always "hot". Same for the next row down (Row "B"). However I did find a switched circuit in the lower ("C" row). The empty slot I am using would be number 4 in the GTK App Diagram. (Its the 9th fuse back from the FRONT of the vehicle.)

If you are using a fuse tap, make sure you get a STD size tap, not a MINI tap.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There's also a thread about tapping the 12V for the mirror, which is probably what I'd try to do if I bother with anything other than Waze on CarPlay. :p

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's also a thread about tapping the 12V for the mirror, which is probably what I'd try to do if I bother with anything other than Waze on CarPlay. :p
Personally, I'ld rather get it from the fuse box. Typically its an easier "get", doesn't require removal the cosmetic trim around the mirror (which can vary a lot between vehicles), and you can usually get a dedicated circuit so you don't have to add your load to an existing pre-sized "mirror" circuit.

$0.02

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got the 2.4A / 4.0A charger wired up and installed. This little guy fit just perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078FTSJWJ

Here's a photo of the charger sitting on that little rail just below my phone. Attached with VHB tape (removable). Looks like I need to get a shorter USB cable...

Porsche Taycan Anybody Open the Fuse Box in the Passenger (Right Hand) Footwell? 20200826_133107

My phone mount is now "hard wired" to a high power USB charger. The charger turns on/off when the car turns on/off. The phone automatically connects/disconnects to the USB connector when its slid in/out of the phone mount. :)

Porsche Taycan Anybody Open the Fuse Box in the Passenger (Right Hand) Footwell? 20200826_133059

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW - You can see a photo of the shorter (1ft) USB cable in use HERE.
Sponsored