SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
I got a Macan loaner when my Taycan was in for service. It was a ‘21 base model and I was not impressed at all. I’d take my Volvo XC90 over it any day of the week.

ICE boners are weird to me. Reminds me of people who are obsessed with Harley’s. They’re just loud and unpractical.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
Sponsored

Last edited:

nefilim314

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Knocking on Macans is pretty weak, honestly. I see it as a pretty fun hatchback with all-year capability. If you're in a life situation that demands it, more power to you.

Vehicle shaming is for men with tiny cocks.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
ICE boners are weird to me. [...]
You know what? After an intense internal struggle on how to respond (or whether to even do so), I've decided I can't let this slide.

Judging by your own admitted car history, you're the "sensible" type (which may be code for "person who drives because they have to"), but for whatever reason you settled on a Taycan. That's awesome, and I'm genuinely hoping your car has offered you thus far a worry-free ownership experience. Presumably you have chosen that Taycan over any Tesla/Volvo EV you could have had for its driving/handling characteristics.

Well, some of us you call "ICE boners" have made the exact same choice - to drive something fun, rewarding - many decades ago, and kept making that choice, keeping the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Ford (fine, Alfa can join too)(and so many others) in business. I might point out EVs did not exist back then - the Lohner Porsche was a fine attempt, as was the EV1, as was the Volt, the i3 etc. - and so it was on the ICE to solve the world's transportation needs, while delighting a few of us in the process.

I don't think anyone here is missing the pollution, the inefficiencies or the complexities of an ICE car.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
So is hubris.

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You know what? After an intense internal struggle on how to respond (or whether to even do so), I've decided I can't let this slide.

Judging by your own admitted car history, you're the "sensible" type (which may be code for "person who drives because they have to"), but for whatever reason you settled on a Taycan. That's awesome, and I'm genuinely hoping your car has offered you thus far a worry-free ownership experience. Presumably you have chosen that Taycan over any Tesla/Volvo EV you could have had for its driving/handling characteristics.

Well, some of us you call "ICE boners" have made the exact same choice - to drive something fun, rewarding - many decades ago, and kept making that choice, keeping the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Ford (fine, Alfa can join too)(and so many others) in business. I might point out EVs did not exist back then - the Lohner Porsche was a fine attempt, as was the EV1, as was the Volt, the i3 etc. - and so it was on the ICE to solve the world's transportation needs, while delighting a few of us in the process.

I don't think anyone here is missing the pollution, the inefficiencies or the complexities of an ICE car.

So is hubris.
I don’t disagree with anything you said here.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Why would you be on a Taycan forum anyway if you were bored of EV?
Trolling?

Reactions: B61

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Knocking on Macans is pretty weak, honestly. I see it as a pretty fun hatchback with all-year capability. If you're in a life situation that demands it, more power to you.

Vehicle shaming is for men with tiny cocks.
“Vehicle shaming”? Then you end it with a personal attack. Hilarious.

The Macan is Porsche cashing in on their name. But i guess if you’re ok with spending $70K+ for a “pretty fun hatchback”

The ‘21 loaner I drove for 2 weeks felt like a $45K car at best.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I LOVE my Taycan. It’s arguably the most fun car I Have for a daily. I Do the love the ICE sound however. Considering adding this to the blue themed voodoo turbo S for some crackles and pops

Porsche Taycan Anyone bored of EV? 35CFB4DA-1515-4E65-B551-61D85C47F1C1

Porsche Taycan Anyone bored of EV? EE5F7579-A375-4FF1-BBFB-B316DD0A34A0

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Yes, EVs are technically superior products in almost every way to ICE for daily drivers (with exception of range and edge cases like towing, which are improving)

In a tools/appliance context for transportation, having technical superiority is what you want. It’s the reason crossover SUVs have gotten so popular with the broader public - in a technical sense they are superior to cars for most people with more cargo space, easier entry/exit, reasonably good efficiency, better ride quality. Test driving EVs is what made me decide to order a Taycan for my DD, as opposed to something like an E63 or M5. For all the reasons that others have mentioned in this thread on efficiency, low NVH, instant power, it’s a far better experience when you want your car to serve as transportation.

Yet the reason why desire for the ICE experience will endure is because they aren’t technically perfect. People enjoy things not in spite of their imperfections, but often because of them. Why else do people love classic cars, manual transmissions, and high revving NA engines that need high RPMs to make power (see GT3), over modern cars with automatics and torquey low rpm turbo motors? There’s a reason why something like the CT5-V Blackwing is highly desired and will be remembered.

This is not to say that the imperfections of most ICE cars will be desired or remembered. There is a je ne sais quoi attribute to certain imperfections that are appealing. The engine frequencies of a V12, or the rumble of a big v8 that shakes the gear lever at idle (like the LS3 Camaro I used to own). Yes, most ICE cars will be forgettable and part of a time past because their imperfections weren’t appealing, like a buzzy gutless economy 4 cylinder or a laggy but smooth automatic. But to deny that ICE cars with the right imperfections will not continue to endure is to deny an aspect of the human experience

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The Macan is Porsche cashing in on their name. But i guess if you’re ok with spending $70K+ for a “pretty fun hatchback”

I have a ‘16 Macan S I picked up at the beginning of ‘21 for $39k with 30k miles on it.

I’m happy with it for what it is and what I need it for. I like it better than a brand new base which I also sometimes get as a loaner.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Yet the reason why desire for the ICE experience will endure is because they aren’t technically perfect.
Well… i’m not seeking for the imperfection(s) of an ICE, since Taycan’s software imperfection fills all my needs of imperfections :giggle:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well you could also try SIM racing. Any car, any track, any skill level for a lot less money and you are all set.

FLT6LVR

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 911S
Country flag
All cars have become more boring. Hardly any performance car comes with something other than an electric motor or a 3L turbo engine (mostly V6). Kudos to companies that try like Porsche (Taycan, 911, etc) and Chevy (new Z06 seems nuts).

M

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Data points:
I have a ‘16 Macan S I picked up at the beginning of ‘21 for $39k with 30k miles on it.
Similarly, I picked mine used in 2018, paid $40k for an S out of lease. Not disagreeing with anything you wrote ;-).
Sponsored