Anyone bored of EV?

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
For me, it's more like the opposite!

ICE cars really go on my nerves now, they're so inresponsive and feel slow.
Also, increasingly, they are not socially accepted anymore. Especially true for the "exciting" ones (GT3 or other louder cars).

For Tesla, it's a bit true as it's not a drivers car, hence boring by definition. Hence I switched to the Taycan.
Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
Macans occasionally make interesting noises courtesy of the PDK-lite, but overall they are not special or unique cars imo. Totally get what you’re talking about though with the engine sound. I have experienced this feeling myself. Maybe consider a small sporty car? Miata, BMW with inline 6 (glorious engine note), or MINI Cooper electric.

Last edited:

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
The secret to happiness is to stop caring what others think about what you like. People who denigrate others tend to be unhappy or insecure, and I’m, personally, too lazy to care.

I also find that nobody who really loves something is snobby about it. One of my many vices is wine, which is one of the few things in life for which there is absolutely no downside to promiscuity. I’ve been fortunate enough to have enjoyed thousands of wines, including many that the “experts” consider to be the best. But I’ve learned that the sole thing that matters is if the wine in your glass is making you happy at that particular moment. It’s even better if it happens to be two-buck chuck. Good for you. You win.

Same with cars. I love driving. Yeah, I love the nice cars but I also loved our Toyota Sienna minivan, and I will tell you that misbehaving in that minivan was so much more fun than misbehaving in a Porsche. If I am drifting in a Porsche, I’m just another @hole but if I’m drifting in the minivan, I’m crazy, and it’s a lot more fun to be crazy.

I also like Bad Bunny, Rufus du Sol and Taylor Swift, so sue me.
It sounds like you're ashamed of listening to Rufus du sol... they are the shiz and will get played on repeat when my taycan arrives next month.
I've never drifted a minivan but I have launched one so high both front tires blew off in separate directions. Ahh the good Ole days...

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
On the notion of cars having soul...
I liken it to a symbiotic relationship with the car. In an ICE car, your body and mind learn it's quirks and nuances, from the revs to the shifts to the idiosyncrasies that every car has. Then subconsciously, the two of you really do become one being, acting in sync. Your soul becomes the cars soul.
I have yet to receive my taycan but I do imagine it will be more difficult to develop that bond since the ev doesn't give out as much feedback (more muted and robot like) and therfore harder to form that bond.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I do imagine it will be more difficult to develop that bond since the ev doesn't give out as much feedback (more muted and robot like) and therfore harder to form that bond.
Wait until you feel that instant acceleration. Even with my RWD it still gives me a kick when I hit the accelerator on an open road. No noise, but it will still push you back in your seat.

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Wait until you feel that instant acceleration. Even with my RWD it still gives me a kick when I hit the accelerator on an open road. No noise, but it will still push you back in your seat.
My only gripe is that that is all you feel. The electric sports sound is quite lite and the revs and the shifts of gear are additional things you feel that clues you in about speed. Did you ever notice how it is really easy to speed in an EV? I think that is because once the initial gforce is gone, the only indication of speed is you seeing how fast you are going. I am curious to how the new electric Charger is incorporating the sound. It is supposed to have that exhaust sound but from an organic instrument or something.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
I don't understand why this is such a lengthy debate? Don't most of you Taycan owners own a 2nd car? Just make that the ICE car to enjoy that sensation and fun if you really miss that.
It’s the internet. It has to be polarised and one sided.

Oh sorry I think I might be confused with reality at the moment 🙈🤣

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't understand why this is such a lengthy debate? Don't most of you Taycan owners own a 2nd car? Just make that the ICE car to enjoy that sensation and fun if you really miss that.
Because… what is a forum without some debates?

Reactions: B61

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yup. this is living your best life

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Yes, agreed. I will be making a trip from DC to Philly and have been trying to decide whether to take the Club Coupe or the Taycan. The Club Coupe is always fun and I can make the round trip on about one tank of gas BUT most of the driving will be on I95 (yawn) and then brutal streets of Philly where the 911 suspension will be all pain no gain basically for the entire trip and I have to pay for gas. By contrast, the Taycan CT is comfortable and I will not worry about beating it up on the roads and I don’t have to pay for gas. Now, if I were driving down to Shenandoah or taking the Tail of the Dragon, the Club Coupe would be the obvious choice without a doubt

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting, I just returned the Macan loaner I had for a week and I did not care for it. The noise, vibration, shifting just annoys me now. I drove it like an old man and I still got a comment from the wife when the Macan shifted and the slight lurch caused her coffee to be disturbed (she drives an EV as well). I think I have lost all interest in the normal characteristics of an ICE vehicle and it worries me as our next vehicle will be one.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
We have two EVs now and for long trips to areas with limited charging infrastructure, an ICE SUV will make the most sense.
I have been using plug in hybrids for 10 years. Most of the time it is effectively an EV since I can charge it at home and the latest one has a heat pump for the climate control. On long journeys the IC engine is used once the battery runs down so far and it runs as a hybrid, so pretty efficient..
It still seems the best compromise to me, but I don’t like SUVs and cars with plug in hybrid are few and far between, unfortunately, and are complex.

So I am trying and EV and see how I get on with charging when in areas with sparse infrastructure.
I’m not selling the plug-in hybrid yet!
Sponsored

Reactions: B61