Anyone bored of EV?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I have been using plug in hybrids for 10 years. Most of the time it is effectively an EV since I can charge it at home and the latest one has a heat pump for the climate control. On long journeys the IC engine is used once the battery runs down so far and it runs as a hybrid, so pretty efficient..
It still seems the best compromise to me, but I don’t like SUVs and cars with plug in hybrid are few and far between, unfortunately, and are complex.

So I am trying and EV and see how I get on with charging when in areas with sparse infrastructure.
I’m not selling the plug-in hybrid yet!
I actually detest most hybrids. Hybrids (apart from the shameless ones that use E solely to boost the performance of an essentially ICE vehicle) seem like the worst of both worlds because you are not escaping the maintenance and downsides of ICE vehicles and you are not gaining the prime benefits of EVs because the vehicle is not optimized for EV (or even ICE for that matter).

Some of our hybrids even got worse mileage than similar ICE models for the type of driving we do (mostly urban but some longer trips to suburban locations).

If mileage were my focus, I would look at pure ICE models that do a good job of delivering, or I would go EV. For the environment, EV all the way (except it does depend on how electricity is generated and battery/components are not ideal), or move closer to work (or work closer to home) and try to minimize or eliminate driving all together.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Some of our hybrids even got worse mileage than similar ICE models for the type of driving we do (mostly urban but some longer trips to suburban locations).
Toyota patented the most efficient hybrid system for road cars and nobody else can use it yet.

FWIW Formula 1 cars are now hybrid and the current hybrid power units produce around the same power as the IC engines they replaced but use 100kg of fuel in a Grand Prix instead of 160kg, so, if properly engineered hybrid is most definitely more efficient.

The downside is heavier and more complex, ‘tis true. I actually don’t like hybrid for racing but will never buy another modern IC engined car.

Classics are different :)

Reactions: B61

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Toyota patented the most efficient hybrid system for road cars and nobody else can use it yet.

FWIW Formula 1 cars are now hybrid and the current hybrid power units produce around the same power as the IC engines they replaced but use 100kg of fuel in a Grand Prix instead of 160kg, so, if properly engineered hybrid is most definitely more efficient.

The downside is heavier and more complex, ‘tis true. I actually don’t like hybrid for racing but will never buy another modern IC engined car.

Classics are different :)
I’ve had a few Porsche cars of late, it nothing has come close to the instant performance of the Taycan. Still staggering when overtaking anything.

Hopefully, GTS ST in 3 weeks🤞🤞🤞

PS Might not have worked in F1 , but I was in ABS design from mid 80’s when we moved from analogue to digital electronics. Until retirement 😊

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
but I was in ABS design from mid 80’s when we moved from analogue to digital electronics.
We did a development programme on ABS with Bosch when I was chief engineer of Benetton. It got banned before we raced it, as do so many things, but the thing I found most interesting was that the driver found it very difficult to get used to because he was used to judging grip during braking and when the ABS was working well he spun frequently on turn into the corner.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
We have two EVs now and for long trips to areas with limited charging infrastructure, an ICE SUV will make the most sense.
Limited chargin infrastructure in CA?
I thought that CA has the most advanced infrastructure in the States.

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Limited chargin infrastructure in CA?
I thought that CA has the most advanced infrastructure in the States.
CA has decent availability, although trips to central CA require planning and some range anxiety. We will be taking trips to the western states and possibly to Texas by car.

Reactions: B61

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
We did a development programme on ABS with Bosch when I was chief engineer of Benetton. It got banned before we raced it, as do so many things, but the thing I found most interesting was that the driver found it very difficult to get used to because he was used to judging grip during braking and when the ABS was working well he spun frequently on turn into the corner.
Some of the lads worked with Eddy. Blue air was regular apparently! If you want a chat, drop me a line? I’m not far away. Near sona, or over Cotswolds.

When the new bird arrives, all will know😬