maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
I've been waiting for the GTS for a while, as I was sure I would switch. But looking at the new specs, I'm thinking no change to my 4S order.

Here's why : (would love opinions)

My highly spec'd 4S is with performance battery, performance and premium package. Mission e looks, so CW exterior, 21" white painted wheels, glacier lights with HGB accents. Interior was full black leather w/ dark silver package and aluminum rhombus.

The same specs in GTS is still 20K+ for very minimal performance difference. At that price point, it makes more sense to go for a turbo - actually. I like the side skirts and and the interior but a bit over (IMO). Side skirts I might add after market w/ HGB inlay. Also, If I go with that alcantra/racetex interior, I can't get ventilated seats or the aluminum rhombus package. Then I have to go with the Matte carbon fiber (which I'm not a fan of) and no dark silver accents. Also, chalk seatbelts seem to stand out too much.

The 2 things I would have loved from the GTS are the new panoramic roof and the added range. Pano, I heard will be available on all taycans ordered after 2022, but it's not a big deal. The added range is something I wasn't expecting. Why can't we get the same range in our cars ? same battery - after all. Plus the EPA numbers aren't out yet.

I would have considered a GTS is it was 7-10k cheaper and was closer to a turbo in performance, than a 4S. Or if I was ordering a black exterior with racetex black/red combo !
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Pouria

First Name
Pouria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT4S, had Taycan 4S 2020.
Country flag
The added range is something I wasn't expecting. Why can't we get the same range in our cars ? same battery - after all. Plus the EPA numbers aren't out yet.
I think the added range is just the new software EPA tested for the new models but not retested on the prior year models. They are all the same hardware and software regarding range. GTS is a detuned Turbo. Software limited Turbo, that's it.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Agreed. Stick with the 4S.

obscurelyfamous

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chalk Taycan 4S
Country flag
My MY22 4S is currently on a vessel and a few weeks away from being delivered. I was holding out for the rumored GTS but it was hard enough to get my 4S allocation. I couldn't get a Turbo allocation prior to making my order.

My 4S build with (likely too many) options was ~$155K. Playing on the configurator, a GTS with my options would be ~$167K. The price difference isn't huge but it did answer my question on whether it'd be cheaper (no). Plus, if proposed changes to the EV tax credit in the US occur starting next year, that's another $7500 advantage for my MY22 that's hopefully being delivered in December.

I might go with the GTS for the fun extras if I had both options available, but I don't think it's worth delaying an order. Hard to see most people getting a GTS in the first half of 2022.

If I were to go through the hassle of trading in my 4S for an upgraded model in the future, it'd be for a Turbo.

Andre Boisvert

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, McLaren 570GT, Maserati QP, Ranger Rover
Country flag
My MY22 4S is currently on a vessel and a few weeks away from being delivered. I was holding out for the rumored GTS but it was hard enough to get my 4S allocation. I couldn't get a Turbo allocation prior to making my order.

My 4S build with (likely too many) options was ~$155K. Playing on the configurator, a GTS with my options would be ~$167K. The price difference isn't huge but it did answer my question on whether it'd be cheaper (no). Plus, if proposed changes to the EV tax credit in the US occur starting next year, that's another $7500 advantage for my MY22 that's hopefully being delivered in December.

I might go with the GTS for the fun extras if I had both options available, but I don't think it's worth delaying an order. Hard to see most people getting a GTS in the first half of 2022.

If I were to go through the hassle of trading in my 4S for an upgraded model in the future, it'd be for a Turbo.

Andre Boisvert

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, McLaren 570GT, Maserati QP, Ranger Rover
Country flag
I should update my profile since we replaced the Maserati QP with a Taycan 4S some 18 months ago, hence why I am on this forum. After seeing the Taycan in person at the Frankfurt International Auto Show in Sept. 2019, I firmed up my order for a Turbo. However, when the 4S was announced two months later, I changed my order to a 4S. In spite of putting $45K+ in options in order to match the configuration of the Turbo I had on order, our 4S ended up costing $23K less than the Turbo.

From a power train perspective, the only difference between the two cars is the rear electric motor which in the case of the 4S is smaller. Given that I opted for the Performance Battery Plus, this matched the Turbo's 93.4 KWH battery pack. Since smaller electric motors require less juice and weigh less, the 4S has a noticeably better range than the Turbo. Though I was initially happy to be .8 second slower to get to 60 MPH in exchange for being able to travel further on a charge + saving $23K, I became even happier with my choice when Motor Trend (January 2021 issue) did a real life test of the 4S in which the 0-60 MPH times came in at 3.4 seconds, therefore making the 4S a mere .4 second slower than the Turbo and 1 sec slower than a Turbo S, which by the way would of cost me $45K more than my 4S.

To put these numbers into perspective as it relates to my 4S, +$23K would of gotten me faster to 60 MPH by .4 second, while +$45K would of gotten me faster to 60 MPH by 1 second. In regards to the Turbo and Turbo S having less range than the 4S, it's hard to assign a $ amount since the cost of electricity varies vastly by geography.

In so far as where the Taycan 4S with the Performance Battery Plus option fits in the Taycan family, it seems like it's smack in the middle of the range:

Taycan Turbo S: 616 HP in normal mode and 750 HP in launch mode
Taycan Turbo: 616 HP in normal mode and 670 HP in launch mode
Taycan GTS: 509 HP in normal mode and 590 HP in launch mode
Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus: 482 HP in normal mode and 562 HP in launch mode
Taycan 4S: 429 HP in normal mode and 522 HP in launch mode
Taycan with Performance Battery Plus: 375 HP and 469 HP in launch mode
Taycan: 321 HP and 402 HP in launch mode

In summary, I think that Porsche has done a good job at offering a broad range of performance and options throughout the Taycan family of models :) .

RobQ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 911, Tycan CT
Country flag
I opted for the CT especially for the increased ride-hight. I need to deal with snow on the roads, with a low riding car that can be a problem. My CT replaced my Macan. I guess a ST would have limitiations with a lot of fresh snow on the road.

Speedmaster99

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S CT & MY22 Tesla Model Y LR
Country flag
I had ordered this : PNESUAQ3 - A 4S CT in Carmine red. I can still change my order, since my build slot is Q3 2022. But upon seeing the reveal, I've very seriously considering this : PN1G4TU8 - A GTS ST also in Carmine Red.

I do prefer the looks of the GTS, and indeed it comes with many of the options that I had already chosen on the CT. That said, I live in rural Scotland and as a result I fear that the CT will turn out to be slightly more practical in that it's not so low to the ground, able to deal with poor road surfaces due to the greater suspension compliance and also the ability to protect its body from the crud and road rash that are left all over the roads by quarry trucks / farmers etc, not to mention poor weather performance.

But the GTS looks so good...although I've had to leave out the pano roof on the GTS to try to get to some degree of reasonable price parity.

I honestly can't decide and really need to if I want the ST to be delivered next year.

Opinions?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had ordered this : PNESUAQ3 - A 4S CT in Carmine red. I can still change my order, since my build slot is Q3 2022. But upon seeing the reveal, I've very seriously considering this : PN1G4TU8 - A GTS ST also in Carmine Red.

I do prefer the looks of the GTS, and indeed it comes with many of the options that I had already chosen on the CT. That said, I live in rural Scotland and as a result I fear that the CT will turn out to be slightly more practical in that it's not so low to the ground, able to deal with poor road surfaces due to the greater suspension compliance and also the ability to protect its body from the crud and road rash that are left all over the roads by quarry trucks / farmers etc, not to mention poor weather performance.

But the GTS looks so good...although I've had to leave out the pano roof on the GTS to try to get to some degree of reasonable price parity.

I honestly can't decide and really need to if I want the ST to be delivered next year.

Opinions?
Good spec. Colour is a divider but as long as you've seen Carmine Red in the flesh then you won't be disappointed (looks great in bright sunshine).

You have time yet then to sit tight and see if the ST body is allocated to other models in the range and so a 4S ST becomes the direct comparison. Personally, I think the additional ride height is a little over stated.

I have found my 4S saloon great in snow with the suspension raised where needed - AWD is a real bonus here and actually if I wasn't getting the GTS I would add PTV+ for the extra capabilities that would bring. For me the real decider comes down to plastic arches and add-ons or not - In my case not.

If snow is a real concern then the choice of wheels should be more relevant - 21" with low profile rubber is normally not a good combination for snow. They look great and the snow might not last but bear that in mind.

I would also ditch either Sports Chrono and / or ACC in favour of Rear Axle Steering (complete with Power Steering Plus) either way Power Steering Plus is a must. 360 pano cameras are also a must have option if you want to see all around and avoid kerbing those 21" wheels!

22kW AC I would also skip but appreciate that in rural locations these may be more prevalent than DC chargers and / or you have 3 phase power at home - in which case a no brainer.

Speedmaster99

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S CT & MY22 Tesla Model Y LR
Country flag
Good spec. Colour is a divider but as long as you've seen Carmine Red in the flesh then you won't be disappointed (looks great in bright sunshine).

You have time yet then to sit tight and see if the ST body is allocated to other models in the range and so a 4S ST becomes the direct comparison. Personally, I think the additional ride height is a little over stated.

I have found my 4S saloon great in snow with the suspension raised where needed - AWD is a real bonus here and actually if I wasn't getting the GTS I would add PTV+ for the extra capabilities that would bring. For me the real decider comes down to plastic arches and add-ons or not - In my case not.

If snow is a real concern then the choice of wheels should be more relevant - 21" with low profile rubber is normally not a good combination for snow. They look great and the snow might not last but bear that in mind.

I would also ditch either Sports Chrono and / or ACC in favour of Rear Axle Steering (complete with Power Steering Plus) either way Power Steering Plus is a must. 360 pano cameras are also a must have option if you want to see all around and avoid kerbing those 21" wheels!

22kW AC I would also skip but appreciate that in rural locations these may be more prevalent than DC chargers and / or you have 3 phase power at home - in which case a no brainer.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen carmine red in the flesh, indeed, I can see why it might divide opinion on dull days (which we do tend to get a lot of...). As regards winter weather, I intend to get a second set of wheels/tyres from the Porsche Tequipment options for winter - its good practice and their prices aren't that off.

I've been told that Sports Chrono (which is standard on GTS) and I'd optioned on the 4S is basically a requirement for resell. Why do you rate rear axle steering so highly out of interest?

I've already got surround view cameras on both builds.

I think 22kW AC is handy, not because there aren't a lot of 50kW DC chargers around rural Scotland - there are! but because when touring in the holiday periods, these chargers are usually clogged up with Nissan Leafs etc, on Chademo, and since there are usually only one DC stall.. that's a problem - however these DC stalls always have 43kW AC ports, which can be used at the same time as the DC side, thus a Taycan with the 22kW on-board AC charger could still get a decent charge whilst waiting for the stall to free up, or indeed to be able to continue the journey. Not sure if I should replace this with a Pano roof for the GTS or not..

Regards,

Mark.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen carmine red in the flesh, indeed, I can see why it might divide opinion on dull days (which we do tend to get a lot of...). As regards winter weather, I intend to get a second set of wheels/tyres from the Porsche Tequipment options for winter - its good practice and their prices aren't that off.

I've been told that Sports Chrono (which is standard on GTS) and I'd optioned on the 4S is basically a requirement for resell. Why do you rate rear axle steering so highly out of interest?

I've already got surround view cameras on both builds.

I think 22kW AC is handy, not because there aren't a lot of 50kW DC chargers around rural Scotland - there are! but because when touring in the holiday periods, these chargers are usually clogged up with Nissan Leafs etc, on Chademo, and since there are usually only one DC stall.. that's a problem - however these DC stalls always have 43kW AC ports, which can be used at the same time as the DC side, thus a Taycan with the 22kW on-board AC charger could still get a decent charge whilst waiting for the stall to free up, or indeed to be able to continue the journey. Not sure if I should replace this with a Pano roof for the GTS or not..

Regards,

Mark.
All good points and rationale. Sports Chrono I don't think would be a major differentiator given the low cost. I have it in my Boxster (never used it in 12 years) and I think spoils the dash on the Taycan. If integrated better (Boxster style) I suspect I would option it. Dealers have a tendency to upsell as I'm sure you know.

RAS (and PSP) - PSP is performance orientated (stiffens at speed) and so with Sports Chrono could be expected. RAS adds additional stability and is handy for tight parking / turning manoeuvres. At a minimum PSP should be on your build.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

Opinions?
Tough call.

I feel like the CT adds that much extra practicality to the vehicle over the ST, and in my dumb opinion looks better. I would imagine living in rural Scotland provides a lot more opportunities for the CT to shine over the ST.

TBH I feel like a lot of the ST hype is just because it is new, but not necessarily any different from what's on offer. It's less than an inch lower to the ground and gets rid of the body panels. If that's what is important to you, go for it. A year or two from now though, when the newness fades and you are living with the car day to day, which one will you find more useful to your needs.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
We locked our ordered yesterday on our CT. Tbh I didn’t like the changes enough on the ST to change from the CT. Not a massive fan of the plastic wheel surrounds, but given we were ppf’ing the whole car we decided the PPS the wheel arches and the bottom inlays in body paint colour.

kadwar

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Macan GTS, Audi R8, 2022 Taycan 4S coming
Country flag

Don't forget the $7500 credit that will be gone in 2022.
Sponsored