jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I got an email this week that it was time to configure the Lucid Air Grand Touring I had reserved when the slots were first announced a couple of years ago. In the interim, I purchased a Taycan 4S last April. The price of the two cars is about equal, about $140,000. I love how the Taycan rides and handles, I'm less thrilled with the unpredictable software issues and tight quarters in the back seat for taller adults. Not sure those are enough to cause me to switch to Lucid, but 500+ miles of range would be great and the Lucid is much more spacious inside and in the trunk. Hopefully it will also have better software and tech. Unfortunately, the Lucid also has that ugly trunk (people used to complain about the Bangle "butt" for 5 series BMWs, but this is much worse in my view) and two-tone roof. Hard to know yet how it rides and drives, but early reviews have been positive (even from Road and Track). I spoke to a Lucid representative yesterday to get on their list for test drives once they are available in our area toward the end of the year. He mentioned others reservation holders who were current Taycan owners.

I know they are geared toward different audiences, the Taycan the more sporty crowd and the Lucid the more luxury sedan crowd, but I see lots of discussion of other competing vehicles on this forum, so, anyone else thinking of a switch from Taycan to Lucid?
Sponsored

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
I got an email this week that it was time to configure the Lucid Air Grand Touring I had reserved when the slots were first announced a couple of years ago. In the interim, I purchased a Taycan 4S last April. The price of the two cars is about equal, about $140,000. I love how the Taycan rides and handles, I'm less thrilled with the unpredictable software issues and tight quarters in the back seat for taller adults. Not sure those are enough to cause me to switch to Lucid, but 500+ miles of range would be great and the Lucid is much more spacious inside and in the trunk. Hopefully it will also have better software and tech. Unfortunately, the Lucid also has that ugly trunk (people used to complain about the Bangle "butt" for 5 series BMWs, but this is much worse in my view) and two-tone roof. Hard to know yet how it rides and drives, but early reviews have been positive (even from Road and Track). I spoke to a Lucid representative yesterday to get on their list for test drives once they are available in our area toward the end of the year. He mentioned others reservation holders who were current Taycan owners.

I know they are geared toward different audiences, the Taycan the more sporty crowd and the Lucid the more luxury sedan crowd, but I see lots of discussion of other competing vehicles on this forum, so, anyone else thinking of a switch from Taycan to Lucid?
I had put a Deposit down a year ago before ordering my Taycan CT. I did not like the two tone Seat colors. Also very limited interior options. I also felt the Car was too low. No air suspension which was odd. No one could ever tell me the ground height and there are no published figures. It’s as though they want to keep it a secret. I have not looked for the info recently so maybe it’s out now. I also thought it looked like a 1980’s Buick.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
No. Way to new of a company and car + the exterior aesthetics are less than pleasing.
I'm Porsche & DMC for life.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
The short answer is no. For me, the increased range would be irrelevant and to give up all of the known great qualities of the Taycan in hopes that a new car company, with their first-ever vehicle, will have fewer "unpredictable software issues" and no other problems seems like a real crap shoot.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
For all practical purposes, the Lucid appears to be a superior car. Unfortunately, it's just too damned ugly.

A Porsche gives you a smile every time you see your car in the lot as you approach it. A Lucid definitely doesn't do that.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Not really. Love the promised range/efficiency and love that there is some more competition for Tesla, but the exterior design is not very appealing. I saw one live in the Brickell/Miami Lucid showroom half a year ago and was thoroughly underwhelmed. It came across as old-fashioned, which is not what one wants for a new mode of transportation. This being said, I really hope the company succeeds and eventually applies its clever technology to a more attractive car.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Not a very attractive car, IMO, which for some odd reason matters quite a lot to me.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Not interested.
It's too early, we can discuss in 5 years.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the lucid is not really competition for the taycan, it competing against the tesla model S the coming MB EQS and any other luxury GT sedan. the taycan while being 3 doors is just not going to attract people who want that GT sedan.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

no

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You're concerned about the Taycan's software "issues" and you're thinking of buying the first car from a brand new company instead?

Mmkay, good luck.

The following for Lucid & Rivian have incredibly unrealistic expectations for those two cars. Expect both to have some real growing pains, in terms of quality, servicing, and bugs. I like both companies but their first year cars most likely will be missing a lot of polish.

The servicing especially is a real concern.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
No. I have no need for more range (range isn’t EV’s main problem) and I don’t really have any software problems.

And 90% of why I bought a Taycan is for how it looks…so…

User name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT
Country flag
Yes. I have a deposit. Hopefully I get delivery before I return the MB.

Last edited:

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I am absolutely considering the Lucid and keeping my early reservation open! Unfortunately, the Touring is all I can justify and I think that'll be a ways out. Plenty of time to evaluate quality and charge performance.
Sponsored