drsubie

First Name
Byz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 991 GTS, 2018 BMW M550, 2019 RAM 1500
Country flag
I got an email this week that it was time to configure the Lucid Air Grand Touring I had reserved when the slots were first announced a couple of years ago. In the interim, I purchased a Taycan 4S last April. The price of the two cars is about equal, about $140,000. I love how the Taycan rides and handles, I'm less thrilled with the unpredictable software issues and tight quarters in the back seat for taller adults. Not sure those are enough to cause me to switch to Lucid, but 500+ miles of range would be great and the Lucid is much more spacious inside and in the trunk. Hopefully it will also have better software and tech. Unfortunately, the Lucid also has that ugly trunk (people used to complain about the Bangle "butt" for 5 series BMWs, but this is much worse in my view) and two-tone roof. Hard to know yet how it rides and drives, but early reviews have been positive (even from Road and Track). I spoke to a Lucid representative yesterday to get on their list for test drives once they are available in our area toward the end of the year. He mentioned others reservation holders who were current Taycan owners.

I know they are geared toward different audiences, the Taycan the more sporty crowd and the Lucid the more luxury sedan crowd, but I see lots of discussion of other competing vehicles on this forum, so, anyone else thinking of a switch from Taycan to Lucid?
I am probably in a similar place as you. Have 3 ICE and about 6m ago decided it was time I go EV. Ended up test driving a Tesla Model Y P and thought it was OK, but they shorted me on trade in value, so I ended up putting deposits on Rivian R1T, Lucid, and most recently a Porsche Taycan ST GTS.

Last week I was called to 'finalize' my Lucid build--Air Grand Touring for $139k thereabouts. My Porsche GTS build was $165k. I told the Lucid rep I'd need to see one in person before I finalized anything, but their Seattle showroom doesn't open until Q1 22 (and I don't feel like driving to Vancouver Canada or flying to LA or AZ), so I'm just waiting.

As many have already mentioned, I'm not too huge a fan of the 2 tone "Buick" roof. The appearance, at least in videos and pictures, look OK but I would consider the Tesla S much better looking (and the Porsche miles better). The only EV the Lucid looks much better than would be the MB EQS, which IMHO ugly in a generic way.

The power (800hp) and range (~500mi) as well as interior space is certainly tempting. But I don't think I could justify the price (it's still >$130k), looks, or the fact it's a 1st year manufacturer w/ unproven track record.
Sponsored

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I got an email this week that it was time to configure the Lucid Air Grand Touring I had reserved when the slots were first announced a couple of years ago. In the interim, I purchased a Taycan 4S last April. The price of the two cars is about equal, about $140,000. I love how the Taycan rides and handles, I'm less thrilled with the unpredictable software issues and tight quarters in the back seat for taller adults. Not sure those are enough to cause me to switch to Lucid, but 500+ miles of range would be great and the Lucid is much more spacious inside and in the trunk. Hopefully it will also have better software and tech. Unfortunately, the Lucid also has that ugly trunk (people used to complain about the Bangle "butt" for 5 series BMWs, but this is much worse in my view) and two-tone roof. Hard to know yet how it rides and drives, but early reviews have been positive (even from Road and Track). I spoke to a Lucid representative yesterday to get on their list for test drives once they are available in our area toward the end of the year. He mentioned others reservation holders who were current Taycan owners.

I know they are geared toward different audiences, the Taycan the more sporty crowd and the Lucid the more luxury sedan crowd, but I see lots of discussion of other competing vehicles on this forum, so, anyone else thinking of a switch from Taycan to Lucid?
If your needs have changed so a larger, roomier luxury sedan suits you better, than go for it ??

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Nope. I was looking for a Porsche not an EV. Already have a Macan and Cayman and went and test drove the Taycan, Cayenne and a 911. Didn’t prefer the drive of the 911 over my Cayman, but the Taycan was an instant grin with that acceleration and looks. It just happened to be an EV (I had previously test driven the Panamera and was underwhelmed).

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Why is no one calling out the suspension. I drive Porsches for their handling which is decades in the making and straight from the track. Going fast straight is boring - corners is where it’s at and where all Porsches excel (even the cayenne). I drive slower Porsches fast in the corners ;)

lucid does look like a Buick and will probably corner like one too.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Why is no one calling out the suspension. I drive Porsches for their handling which is decades in the making and straight from the track. Going fast straight is boring - corners is where it’s at and where all Porsches excel (even the cayenne). I drive slower Porsches fast in the corners ;)

lucid does look like a Buick and will probably corner like one too.
Supposedly it handles close to a Porsche per Motor Trend.
Not sure if that's accurate

NYF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (not delivered yet)
Country flag
Supposedly it handles close to a Porsche per Motor Trend.
Not sure if that's accurate
I have found these first reviews of Lucid to be incredibly positive. As in "over the moon" positive. And while the statistics are impressive, I can't help but feel there is a certain amount of hype fuelling the overall love for the car. The Lucid Air is so specifically targeting Tesla on numbers, and it seems that a lot of reporters have been waiting for this moment, and they just want to love it soo much.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
"It's just a question of time"

- Dave Gahan

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
There is at least one track racing guy at Lucid who I know so I expect the chassis will probably be pretty good.
I can't see how any OEM can come close to Porsche in the handling department. The roots and R&D are too deep. It's decades in the DNA
Sponsored