Anyone do a track day with their Taycan?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
hmmm - gps says it's 19 minutes to the Monterey EA chargers from Laguna Seca…
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
27 minutes to the Salinas ones - so Monterey "wins" but you have to consider "congestion" the route from the track to the Monterey location is going to be clogged in spring/summer/fall days with tourist traffic, and the need to go to these chargers will be "mid day" - peak travel/tourist time…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/anyone-do-a-track-day-with-their-taycan.1637/#post-20499

post #6 - updated - I'm still calling Monterey "awkward" because the closest EA chargers are 14 miles away on congested roads spring/summer/fall - so roundtrip time from track and back is going to be excessive.

20 mins from track to charger
30 mins for the charge session
20 min from charger back to the track

1 hour 10 min round trip is the BEST case scenario - and given traffic/congestion mid day it could easily be 40 min or more from the track to the chargers…

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Although it will hurt your lap times, seriously irritate any drivers behind you, possibly represent a safety issue, and possibly get you booted, if you can manage braking (minimal hydraulics, maximum regen) you can probably double the sessions between charging. Call it focusing on the proper line and tracking out.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
quick survey of tracks vs. fast charging logistics (my criteria is at least 100 kW - 50 kW is too slow)
  • Thunderhill Hill - feasible - 350 kW fast charging 7 miles from track - that means 10 min to charger - 30 min charge - 10 min back - probably run two sessions in the morning and two in the afternoon - fast charge again before going home
  • Autoclub speedway - feasible - 350 kW fast charging less than 8 miles from the track
  • The Thermal Club - feasible - 350 kW fast charging less than 15 miles from the track
  • Daytona - feasible - 350 kW fast charger 5.9 miles from the track
  • Roebling Road - feasible - 350 kW fast charger 9.2 miles from the track
  • Virgina International Raceway - mixed bag - closest fast charging is an unreliable 25 kW fast charging station - but it's super close only 0.5 miles!!!
  • Laguna Seca - awkward - closest faster chargers are > 11.3 miles away (but a 25 min drive each way) - and only 50 kW
  • Laguna Seca - awkward - closest fast chargers are Salinas 14 miles away - so at least 1 hour travel time (there and back) + charge time - but they are 350 kW - and there are the Salinas 350 kW chargers 24 miles away
  • Pocono Raceway - awkward - 350 kW fast charging 29 miles from the track
  • Sonoma Raceway - awkward - closest fast chargers are EVGo 50 kW - 10 miles away very congested highways to get there
  • Circuit of the Americas - awkward & risky - single 62.5 kW fast charger 8.6 miles from the track
  • Miller motorsports track - awkward - 50 kW fast chargers 7.7 miles from the track
  • Portland International Raceway - awkward - 50 kW fast chargers less than 5 miles from the track
  • Summit Point Motorsports Park - awkward - 150 kW fast chargers 21.5 miles from the track
  • Buttonwillow - awkward - Chargepoint 50 kW @ starbucks listed in chargepoint app - reliability unknown at this time
  • Willow Springs - very awkward - closest working fast charges 20 miles from track - figure 30 min each way just in travel time & 25 kW max power
  • Chuckwalla - very awkward - 50 kW fast charger about 30 miles from the track
  • Limerock - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Watkin's Glenn - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Barber motorsports - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Spring Mountain Motorsports Clug - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Mid-Ohio - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Road America - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Palmbeach International Raceyway - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Seabring Raceway - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Oregon Raceway Park - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • The Ridge Motorsports Park - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
  • Pittsburg International Race Complex - infeasible - no fast charging remotely near the track
updated Jan 20th, 2021 - Monterey EA chargers now online.
As for Barber Motorsports in Alabama, there’s a 350kw EA supercharger about 32 miles away. Don’t know how feasible that is, but better than nothing i guess...

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I did 4 x 20 minute sessions at the Grand Prix Formula 1 track at Silverstone, UK yesterday. My findings concur with the above. You will use 40-50% battery for a 20 minute session but this was not a problem as the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone has 8 x Porsche 350 kW chargers which I used. I was back out on the track within 25 minutes with a full tank. Tyres - I used about 2mm on the front and about 1 mm on the back. I know hold the dubious honour of holding the lap record for Silverstone in a Taycan but that's because no-one has ever taken their own Taycan on the race track before! It was a brilliant day and I learnt a lot from the very patient Porsche instructor. My Taycan Turbo S is a fantastic track car!

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
I did 4 x 20 minute sessions at the Grand Prix Formula 1 track at Silverstone, UK yesterday. My findings concur with the above. You will use 40-50% battery for a 20 minute session but this was not a problem as the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone has 8 x Porsche 350 kW chargers which I used. I was back out on the track within 25 minutes with a full tank. Tyres - I used about 2mm on the front and about 1 mm on the back. I know hold the dubious honour of holding the lap record for Silverstone in a Taycan but that's because no-one has ever taken their own Taycan on the race track before! It was a brilliant day and I learnt a lot from the very patient Porsche instructor. My Taycan Turbo S is a fantastic track car!
I am doing my track day tomorrow. Cannot wait.
So you can use your own car and or Porsche owned?
Thanks.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am doing my track day tomorrow. Cannot wait.
So you can use your own car and or Porsche owned?
Thanks.
I used my own car but this was not the free session you get when you buy the car. Its what Porsche call the "Precision" 1 day course where an instructor takes you through some basics on the handling tracks and skid pans and then transfers you over to the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit. He stayed with me the whole day and was very patient. I think it is fair to say my confidence improved immeasurably with his help. The car is phenomenal.

I used my own car as I see no point in owning a Turbo S if you are not going to track it. It just becomes a trophy that you keep in a garage. Having said that, I was apprehensive about the wear and tear. I should not have worried. The car is built to do this and you will be fine. Expect to use up some tyre depth. I realise now that Silverstone is high speed which so my tyre wear was probably greater. I had 4mm going in all round and the fronts are now hovering just above the 2mm minimum. The ceramic brakes come with the TS as standard and are stunning. I was doing about 10 laps per session and those brakes hauled me down from 140 mph to 40 mph without fail every single time. When we checked the discs after each session they were not excessively hot. This is what separates the Taycan from other "performance" EVs like the Model 3 and the Plaid which would need upgrades to suspension and brakes before they can be enjoyable to drive on a track.

You will love it!

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
I used my own car but this was not the free session you get when you buy the car. Its what Porsche call the "Precision" 1 day course where an instructor takes you through some basics on the handling tracks and skid pans and then transfers you over to the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit. He stayed with me the whole day and was very patient. I think it is fair to say my confidence improved immeasurably with his help. The car is phenomenal.

I used my own car as I see no point in owning a Turbo S if you are not going to track it. It just becomes a trophy that you keep in a garage. Having said that, I was apprehensive about the wear and tear. I should not have worried. The car is built to do this and you will be fine. Expect to use up some tyre depth. I realise now that Silverstone is high speed which so my tyre wear was probably greater. I had 4mm going in all round and the fronts are now hovering just above the 2mm minimum. The ceramic brakes come with the TS as standard and are stunning. I was doing about 10 laps per session and those brakes hauled me down from 140 mph to 40 mph without fail every single time. When we checked the discs after each session they were not excessively hot. This is what separates the Taycan from other "performance" EVs like the Model 3 and the Plaid which would need upgrades to suspension and brakes before they can be enjoyable to drive on a track.

You will love it!
Thank your for detailed reply.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Dave,
If memory serves, there is an EA in a Wal-Mart parking lot no more than 8-9 miles from Mid-Ohio.
I got excited for a minute, but checked the EA map, and there doesn't appear to be anything closer than the EA west of Columbus - an hour away...:confused:

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Vim, I was in Akron last weekend and used that charger coming and going. Exit 169, Route 13 Off I-71. 4 stations, 2 of which are 350 kW.

RTudor

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

You will love it!
How did you find the battery temperature? I’ve now attempted two track days at Goodwood in my Turbo S as they have installed some chargers, the car performed brilliantly for 3-4 laps then the battery got too hot at the car cut the power and ended the session prematurely.

I then spent most of the time waiting for the battery temperature to drop low enough to have another go and I only managed to get four sessions during the day because of this.

I found it very frustrating and don’t think I’ll try it again.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Pushed a little harder at a most recent HPDE event at VIR full course - hardest 20 minute session consumed 38% of the battery. This format was four sessions with the longest break between sessions being three hours - just enough time charging between sessions to be able to survive a fourth session, though I ended the last session with 3 miles of range (VIR full course is 3.27 miles). Acceleration was significantly limited for the last 10 minutes of that last session. Also note that I say "a little harder" but I am not WOT on the straights (where Taycan will hit 155+ MPH - I'm keeping it at 120) and I am braking early after those straights (safe, more regen). OK maybe I did one straight at WOT...

Interestingly, even with starting battery temps in the high 80s (F), the lower the SOC at the start the hotter the battery temp at the end (only hit 130 deg in the 2nd to last session). Yes it's later in the day and so yes the track surface and air temperature are higher. But it makes me wonder if there is more battery or motor heat generated at lower SOC vs. higher.

TIres showing some heat/wear - it's hard to see but pretty much the edge of every tread block is raised. Stock Conti all-seasons on 21" Mission E. They scream in pain most of the day
Porsche Taycan Anyone do a track day with their Taycan? IMG_2342
Sponsored