Anyone else have a portable car lift?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
So, I'm pretty obsessive about changing out summer tire/rims for winter tire/rims. For the 911, that's of course no problem. But EVs are so heavy that I haven't trusted normal hand jacks, so I took my previous Tesla Model X to the shop to swap out the tire/rims. That process was such a hassle that I broke down this year and bought the QuickJack 7000TL 7,000 lb. Portable Car Lift with 110v Power Unit (https://a.co/d/aCO6Bll) so that I can start doing the swaps myself again. Here is a video showing the one I bought: default.jobtemplate.hls.m3u8. I also bought 4 of the Taycan and 4 of the 911 jack points to use with the lift.

Now, I'm not small or weak, but it is MUCH heavier than I thought it would be, at least while in the boxes (maybe the wheels will make it easier). I had planned to hang it on the wall when not in use as shown in the video, but now I'm thinking about leaving it on the garage floor in between the wheels and then just pulling them out laterally when I want to use it.

Anybody else have this type of jack? Any useful suggestions? Any reason why you would not just leave them together on the floor?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag
I absolutely love my quick jack. And yes, I just keep it on the floor in the center of the garage bay. If I used the bay more for other things with the car absent, I’d probably hang them on the wall, but the car is over them all the time.

Makes it so easy to swap wheel sets, do deep cleaning of wheel wells and brake calipers. and my favorite is doing paint correction on the lower half of the car without killing my back.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
So, I'm pretty obsessive about changing out summer tire/rims for winter tire/rims. For the 911, that's of course no problem. But EVs are so heavy that I haven't trusted normal hand jacks, so I took my previous Tesla Model X to the shop to swap out the tire/rims. That process was such a hassle that I broke down this year and bought the QuickJack 7000TL 7,000 lb. Portable Car Lift with 110v Power Unit (https://a.co/d/aCO6Bll) so that I can start doing the swaps myself again. Here is a video showing the one I bought: default.jobtemplate.hls.m3u8. I also bought 4 of the Taycan and 4 of the 911 jack points to use with the lift.

Now, I'm not small or weak, but it is MUCH heavier than I thought it would be, at least while in the boxes (maybe the wheels will make it easier). I had planned to hang it on the wall when not in use as shown in the video, but now I'm thinking about leaving it on the garage floor in between the wheels and then just pulling them out laterally when I want to use it.

Anybody else have this type of jack? Any useful suggestions? Any reason why you would not just leave them together on the floor?
Pictures? 7000TL is not too short?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Ive got the 7000TLX, precisely because it seemed the normal length jack coupd have been a bit too short for the Taycan. The problem is that it’s too long for the 911 😬, or a buddy’s Focus RS - so any time savings in lifting are wasted on fiddling with other jacks..

As for storing, I agree the damn things are heavy. QJ sell hooks for storing them vertically on a wall, but i did not want to take a chance. Id have only fastened the hook to a stud, and that ends up wasting a lot of wall space. Im storing mine on a side on the floor, propped/tied to a side garage wall. I have placed some of the blocks that came with the jack under the rail - they’re virtually still/fixed in position.

(I’ll try and find a pic, will update this post)
Edit: this isn’t quite up to your garage aesthetic standards, @TDinDC, but hope it helps.
Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_9890

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_9891

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ive got the 7000TLX, precisely because it seemed the normal length jack coupd have been a bit too short for the Taycan. The problem is that it’s too long for the 911 😬, or a buddy’s Focus RS - so any time savings in lifting are wasted on fiddling with other jacks..

As for storing, I agree the damn things are heavy. QJ sell hooks for storing them vertically on a wall, but i did not want to take a chance. Id have only fastened the hook to a stud, and that ends up wasting a lot of wall space. Im storing mine on a side on the floor, propped/tied to a side garage wall. I have placed some of the blocks that came with the jack under the rail - they’re virtually still/fixed in position.

Edit: this isn’t quite up to your garage aesthetic standards, @TDinDC, but hope it helps.
IMG_9890.jpeg

IMG_9891.jpeg
I'm considering ordering the 6000ELX because I also have a Q8 eTron which measures 66" between the centers of the lift points, so presumably the TLX would be too short. My Taycan is in service right now (finally fixing the door handles, they started malfunctioning again during the recent cold days), so cannot just go measure, do you think 10.75" longer frame (when down, measurement L below) would fit between the wheels ok to lift the Taycan?
Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? 1699042645644

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I'm considering ordering the 6000ELX because I also have a Q8 eTron which measures 66" between the centers of the lift points, so presumably the TLX would be too short. My Taycan is in service right now (finally fixing the door handles, they started malfunctioning again during the recent cold days), so cannot just go measure, do you think 10.75" longer frame (when down, measurement L below) would fit between the wheels ok to lift the Taycan?
It should fit with <10cm to spare. Here’s what that length (220cm) comes to centered on the Taycan:
Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_9895

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_9894

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I use the 5000slx with an extension that's just a 1x3 12 gauge square bar stock cut down to length. Just an option for you if you happen to have a quickjack already

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? 20231104_105818
Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? 20231104_105824

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

IMG_9890.jpeg

IMG_9891.jpeg
After lifting the 6000ELX (over 150lb each), and given it's length (2.2m, or 87") I decided to build my own storage solution. It won't be winning any beauty contests, but it's functional - keeps the rails out of the way when not in use. I used some aluminum stage lighting clamps, so that I just push the quickjack flat against the wall and clamp it on top. Similar idea to the QJ hook, except avoids of having to lift it up to put it on or off the hook.
Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? 1704851797101
Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? 1704852116124

Last edited:

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I finally got around to installing my winter tires/rims using my quick jack 7000TL. I chose the TL because I also have a 911, but I can confirm that it is too short of the Taycan. You have to buy the adapter, which works but makes it perilously close for clearance. In any event, here are a few pictures of the car with summers and then with winters and the QJ.

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_8856

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_8857

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_8212

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_8211

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_8215

Porsche Taycan Anyone else have a portable car lift? IMG_8855

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I have the 5000 TLX which works and fits great. They stay on the floor as I park over them.

A good tip when changing wheels is to lift it so that the tires are just an inch or less off the ground. Takes way less effort lifting those heavy wheels and you don’t need to mess around with those wheel alignment studs.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the 5000 TLX which works and fits great. They stay on the floor as I park over them.

A good tip when changing wheels is to lift it so that the tires are just an inch or less off the ground. Takes way less effort lifting those heavy wheels and you don’t need to mess around with those wheel alignment studs.
Yes, I was going to do that and usually do that with racing floor jacks, but I wanted to get this past the safety lock. That was the height of the first lock. I treated the height as part of my workout for that day.

The tires and rims are lighter than I had expected.

Also, less tire wear than I had expected, although I only have about 5K miles
Sponsored